NH State Police - how selective? | MassCops

NH State Police - how selective?

Discussion in 'State Police' started by maresident96, Jan 15, 2021.

1. maresident96

maresident96 MassCops Member

My question is, How selective is the NH state police? Aside from the written, background, psych, agility, and poly.

I'm very confident I will pass the background, psych, agility, poly, and hopefully written (I have not seen it yet). However, in terms of experience, as I was not in the military, have not been a police officer, and am fairly young (mid twenties), is my best option to obtain experience as a full time police officer otherwise and than attempt to go through the selection process for the NH state police? I have heard that the NH state police tend to be "MUCH" more picky than most town/city departments in NH. True?

Also, I've tried to find how many troopers have been through recent academies, how many do they usually hire each year?

Just earned my bachelor's degree in criminal justice, which I know doesn't get me a job right out the gate.
    I understand I have quite a lot of work ahead of me, and am doing my best be a good candidate for a NH department.
    I have had a much easier time finding a NH department that will allow me through their selection process than I have in MA.
    Seems like the majority of MA departments rely on the civil service which I will be taking as soon as their exam posts. Unlike in NH, where NH doesn't have a civil service. Aside from that, there is some reserve academies offered in MA. I personally can't take the financial risk of paying for the reserve academy which 1) doesn't guarantee me a job at the end of it & 2) will cost me thousands (which I understand isn't a big deal in the scheme of things) but 20 minutes away in NH I can hopefully complete the selection process and become part time certified in NH at no cost but my time and the exam fee.

2. WMA7787

WMA7787 MassCops Member

Make sure your squared away and apply. If your not selected to move forward in any or all of the process you're in the same boat you are now.

Apply elsewhere too. Don't sit around asking if you should do this or that, just do it.

*Make sure you read posting requirements too. Don't be the guy that asks if he should apply when a department is seeking Certified candidates.

maresident96 likes this.
  3. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Its very political, they like squeaky clean backgrounds...I've seen certified officers dropped from their process. They're cheap...when you hem your issued uniform pants you're not allowed to trim excess material. It has to be tucked inside even if it comes up to your knees...in case they reissue....your pants. It helps if you check a minority box...they pulled 2 recruits out of the academy and put them in full uniforms for a press conference to showcase their "diversity". Other than that, spend a whole lot of time on the highway, or if you're near Canada you cover small towns policing needs. You won't get as rich as working for MSP...but you're also much less likely to get indicted. Unless you are caught on a helicopter camera punching a dirtbag after a chase.

Joel98, mpd61 and Goose like this.
  4. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

I had no idea NHSP was like that. That’s good to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel98 likes this.
  5. alonzo401

alonzo401 MassCops Member

Aren't a lot of the cities and towns on the other side of the border Massachusetts natives who couldnt get on civil service towns in the Merrimack Valley and knew someone in NH who helped them get hired on the other side of the border.

Lowell and Lawrence hire a lot if you live there but some of the other towns have a lot of candidates for a large town/small city and a few of those communities seem very political.

Joel98 likes this.
  6. Hush

As with everything, individual experiences may vary. I do not work for them, but I interact daily with all levels from dispatch to admin on both a personal and professional level.

Goose and USAF286 like this.
  7. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

All my interactions with the NHSP have been positive. They are a respected, prideful, and professional organization. The only way to determine if you are what they are looking for in a trooper recruit, is to apply. Best of luck!!

Joel98 likes this.
  8. maresident96

Wow. Really solid advice given here. I'll do my own research as well.
    I will get it done. Do what I can do control what I can.

Just curious, this is a very good question for active LEO's.

Is it frowned upon to look elsewhere while in the academy for a department looking to hire, or after when you're hired?

I feel that I probably need to start with A) Actually getting a job in law enforcement. Than B) Use that experience to see if the department is for me.

BUT one thing that constantly sits back in my mind is, with such a long selection process for ANY agency, time spent and financial resources to get through the academy, you may as well apply somewhere you REALLY want first. Unfortunately, for someone in 2020/2021 that has invested time in finding an agency, it's a lot more complicated than that.

NHSP looks very attractive to me. No civil exam. I can pass requirements that are written. I guess it's a matter of getting in that oral board interview and setting the impression. Which I would imagine is very hard for a young person with 0 law enforcement experience and just a piece of paper with a degree.

Joel98 likes this.
  9. PBC FL Cop

A degree is not just a piece of paper but rather the result of hard work and dedication, so do not sell yourself short for having obtained an advanced degree. Everyone in law enforcement started with zero experience! We all received our first opportunity from a chief, sheriff, or colonel who believed we possessed the integrity, background, and desire to become good cops and the rest was up to us to succeed or fail.

Be honest, stay positive, stay clear of trouble and eventually the right position will open up for you as well.

Best of luck!

10. USAF286

USAF286 MassCops Member

A degree also gets you a lot more money in some departments in MA that have an education incentive (Quinn Bill).

11. maresident96

Great replies, thank you everyone for taking the time to do so. I've learned quite a bit in the past few months about law enforcement careers.
    I have to say, from the respect I already had prior, I now have a much more respect for those who wear the badge and uphold it's meaning. I can't begin to imagine the challenges that are to become.

12. msw

msw MassCops Member

I know nothing about policing or LE agencies in NH, but I am just curious: what would be the reason for - or the benefits/advantages of - choosing NHSP over one of the bigger municipal departments in NH, like Manchester or Concord? Why would a young person just starting an LE career in NH choose NHSP over a municipal department there in NH?

Joel98 likes this.
  13. Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis MassCops Member

Being a trooper patrolling the highway (or small towns/rural areas) primarily solo is not the same type of policing as patrolling Manchester or Concord (since you mentioned them) with a shift of other patrol officers, especially if the shift is tight-knit and likes to get into stuff as a team. Some people like one experience over the other.

Also, and this is less relevant in a small state like NH compared to TX, CA, etc., but with a state agency, there’s the possibility of eventually moving around. That’s attractive to some people.

CCCSD and Hush like this.
  14. maresident96

What is attractive to me about the NHSP would be the over time & opportunities to advance further into the field. For someone my age, I'd love to work way more than 40 hours a week as young single adult currently living at home too.
    Having little knowledge about the insides of the department, I would 'guess' that the state police has a tremendous amount of opportunity for overtime plus other divisions, ranks, etc.

15. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

They have Rule 3000 there. Try to read it first

16. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

It’s toothless

“No criminal case shall be abated, quashed, or dismissed and no evidence in a criminal case shall be suppressed or excluded because a police employee has failed to comply with the jurisdictional limits of this section

17. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

S
    So basically “this is your jurisdiction that you need to stay in but if you leave it makes no difference anyways”? Must be nice.

To be clear, I’ve always been a fan of statewide jurisdiction for all cops. Limiting by policy makes sense, since officers are paid to perform a service for a particular town/city/county/college etc, but saying that a shitbag should be able to get off because I arrested them on the wrong side of an invisible and often poorly defined line is ludicrous to me.

j809, CCCSD, patrol22 and 3 others like this.
  18. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Before you take the polygraph, I should advise you: Don't research it. That sounds counterintuitive to common sense, but the less you know about it the better. They will ask you if you've done any reading on it, and the assumption is that the ONLY reason one would research the polygraph is to find out how to beat it. If you admit to researching it, there is a very good chance they will fail you on that alone.

CCCSD and Hush like this.
  19. Hush

EUPD377, CCCSD and PG1911 like this.
  20. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

Yep, although a lot of examiners and departments will use the results of the charts alone. But the post exam is the part that can change "pass" to "fail". The difference is, if you fail due to the machine picking up reactions but admit nothing else, it's not usually a huge deal (although some PDs have an automatic DQ policy for failed polygraphs at any time in an applicant's life). However, if you confess to something in the post test, now they have you for knowingly withholding information and falsifying a sworn statement, and that could be the end of any chance of you getting into law enforcement.

EUPD377, Hush and CCCSD like this.
  21. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

As bad as MA can be for law enforcement, not allowing the poly is one of the few things we do right. Total POS junk science. A skilled detective is your best background investigator, not some pseudo-scientific snake oil.
    I was honestly pleasantly surprised that the police reform bill didn’t authorize the use of the poly for police hiring.

j809, Bloodhound, PG1911 and 2 others like this.
  22. EUPD377

EUPD377 Southern Campus Cop

Polys are BS. I went through a poly with a state bureau of investigation agent that was the polygraph trainer for the entire agency. I passed. Two months later, I took a poly with a city department, and the examiner accused me of cheating on the test and failed me instantly. I can’t stand those stupid things. I wish we didn’t allow them here.

23. PBC FL Cop

Truth verification devices are only as good as their operator. In the hands of a competent operator, truth verification devices are a highly effective tool, but again, the device is only a tool and as with any tool, only as good as the individual utilizing that tool. Give me the best set of Milwaukee tools and I still couldn't change the oil in my car, however, give me a CVSA and a suspect, and I'll get you a confession ;)

EUPD377 likes this.