Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Associated Press | Thursday, July 31, 2008

MERRIMACK, N.H. - Merrimack, New Hampshire police say a Merrimack District Court officer has accidentally shot himself in the foot.

Police said the unidentified officer accidentally fired his holstered weapon and hit his foot. Police said he wasn't trying to draw the .25-caliber gun in a "police action," and he wasn't dealing with a prisoner or engaged in any other enforcement activity.

The bullet lodged in the floor of the courthouse, and no one else was injured.

The officer was treated at St. Joseph's Hospital in Nashua for his injury, which was not life-threatening.

Police said the incident was being investigated by the Merrimack Police Department.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Actually they qualify with and carry either 9mm or .40 caliber. A couple still carry .38's.
I heard this gent qualified with, and was authorized by the ACO to carry this "back-up" weapon in an ankle holster. He was standing next to the metal detector and not doing anything in particular when it discharged. He's doing well with a minor through and through, and lucky nothing like bone was hit. Apparently the bullet was lodged in the carpet!
YIKES!
:eek:

·
Registered
77 Posts
This bailiff was carrying a backup weapon which was authorized for him to carry. He had gone to the range and qualified with this weapon to which he had to purchase his own ammunition.I know this officer he is a certified Sig Arms Firearms Instructor and has been to Iraq as part of the Blackwater team very responsible when it comes to weapons. When he said the weapon went off accidentally I believe him!

G

·
This bailiff was carrying a backup weapon which was authorized for him to carry. He had gone to the range and qualified with this weapon to which he had to purchase his own ammunition.I know this officer he is a certified Sig Arms Firearms Instructor and has been to Iraq as part of the Blackwater team very responsible when it comes to weapons. When he said the weapon went off accidentally I believe him!
Sorry....I don't care if he is the head instructor for SIG; a non-defective firearm does not discharge without someone/something depressing the trigger.

·
8,693 Posts
Sorry....I don't care if he is the head instructor for SIG; a non-defective firearm does not discharge without someone/something depressing the trigger.
Oh Jeez Bruce!
You and I know many of these .25 "pistols" run the range of cheap hammerless SA's to expensive Berettas and some DAO models. In most cases the former are carried with one in the pipe(cocked) and the stupid slide safeties are as reliable as dog feces. The Beretta and Taurus mini's can get cocked by accident too. Bottom line? I would not prefer to carry ANY firearm in an ankle rig. Too far from my direct control and too easy for someone else to gain same.

·
Always entertained
2,550 Posts
Court officer??? Back up weapon??? Shoots himself????? Firearms instructor????? Blackwater????? Cut the shit!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Oh Jeez Bruce!
You and I know many of these .25 "pistols" run the range of cheap hammerless SA's to expensive Berettas and some DAO models. In most cases the former are carried with one in the pipe(cocked) and the stupid slide safeties are as reliable as dog feces. The Beretta and Taurus mini's can get cocked by accident too. Bottom line? I would not prefer to carry ANY firearm in an ankle rig. Too far from my direct control and too easy for someone else to gain same.
If he's really the second coming of Rambo as described above he wouldn't be carrying a piece of shit gun, would he?

·
8,693 Posts
If he's really the second coming of Rambo as described above he wouldn't be carrying a piece of shit gun, would he?
Ahhh...
I guess maybe not. If you look at it subjectively, and with a minor degree of emotion added, I guess I'd have to agree with ya buddy.

In the end though, I wonder what Diane Feinstein would think?

·
8,693 Posts
HEY!!!!
Look in the Nuke carrier Post goofus!:p

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Careful Bruce! Please. Remember what happened last time.
I fixed it for you buddy..

Delta784 said:
Who cares what that ill-advised individual .........that uniformed left-leaning party-pooper thinks? :p

·
Subscribing Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Court security officer shoots himself in foot

By KAREN LOVETT Staff Writer
[email protected]

MERRIMACK - A Merrimack District Court security officer was shot in the foot when his holstered gun accidentally went off while on duty Thursday morning.

The male officer unintentionally discharged his Beretta .25 caliber automatic pistol, according to a police statement. He suffered a minor foot injury and was brought to St. Joseph Hospital in Nashua, the statement said.

Police are still investigating exactly how it happened, but confirmed that the officer was not drawing the weapon or engaging in enforcement activity.

Police did not identify the officer, who works for the state's administrative office of the courts, because they hadn't finished interviewing him, said Deputy Police Chief Mark Doyle.

Police and medical personnel responded to the courthouse at about 11:40 a.m., Doyle said. When he arrived, the man was bandaged and responsive as paramedics removed him quickly from the courthouse.

Town Hall was in lockdown mode for less than five minutes as officials determined what had happened, Town Manager Keith Hickey said.

Soon after, the police department's criminal investigators arrived to take photos and recover the weapon, holster and a single round from the floor. They sent items to the state's laboratory for analysis and to make sure the weapon was in proper working condition, Doyle said.

The department will continue investigating, Doyle said, because the incident involved a firearm discharged in a government building.

Police "have no reason to believe it was anything other than unintentional," he said, but, "in a government building when there's a firearm involved, people will want a lot of answers as to what happened and why."

Police notified the county attorney's office and the state attorney general, which is protocol, Doyle said.

The officer is not a member of sheriff's department, who are responsible for monitoring prisoners.

Security personnel generally check people's belongings, direct people through metal detectors, transfer court paperwork and provide security presence inside and outside the courtroom.

Security officers with the state are authorized to carry weapons with proper qualifications, though the weapons are personally owned, Doyle said

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
From the looks of things I'd say this was the guy's authorized back-up weapon. Court security officers do not carry their sidearm in an ankle holster.

MERRIMACK, N.H. -- Police believe a court bailiff's pant leg may somehow have caused his weapon to fire last week at Merrimack District Court.Bailiff Logan Crocker was wounded in the ankle when his pistol went off while in an ankle holster last Thursday.Police said Crocker was not handling the weapon at the time. But Deputy Police Chief Mark Doyle told the New Hampshire Union Leader that Crocker was moving his trousers or hiking them up, and something along his trouser leg may have grabbed the hammer or trigger and caused the weapon to fire.
Doyle said Crocker had approval to carry the weapon.The .25-caliber gun will be examined at the state police lab to see if it was functioning properly.
WMUR

·
8,693 Posts
If I remember correctly that particular pistol is double action first round then single action after that. and it has a drop safety...Ill be curious about there findings.
JAP ole buddy...

Considering he was fumbling with his pants (we don't know how many times) it's not farfetched to see the weapon going to single action (cocked) after static cling caused the safety to get swiped off.
In addition, lets not forget 99% of ankle hosters aren't triple retention, and very secure. That's why in earlier posts I denounced such a carry.
Since it was an authorized weapon, we probably won't hear anything later anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts