Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
941 - 960 of 1,442 Posts
Hey guys, I'm new here. I got 98 on the Civil Service exam. Haven't received a card. Is it because I'm not a U.S veteran? I am a veteran of the IDF but grew up in Boston. I guess they don't get to find that out until they interview, right? I put my info on the civil service application , but I'm assuming they don't read that. I'm fluent in 3 languages, understand 5, and think I can bring be a positive addition to the 'team'. What I've heard is that the first wave of cards was sent to female applicants and wounded veterans. Is that just a rumor or actually has fact behind it? Any updates would be great guys. Thanks again.

Respectfully,
I.
Are you a resident of Boston? If not, then you have no chance, doesn't matter where you grew up. Being a non-veteran, the only chance you have is the town where you live the 12 months preceding the test date last year. I could be wrong but yes I believe only US Veterans are considered Veterans for Civil Service. Just about everyone thinks they are can bring a positive attitude and would be a great addition to the team or they wouldn't have wasted $100.

when you say veterans and people that scored 100 do you mean non-vets that scored a 100?
Veterans AND people that scored a 100. A Veteran that scored a 100 would still fall into that first category listed.

For those of you who got cards, I called today to ask about one of the required items on the list we got and I was told we will not need to bring those items in with us to orientation, it's for after but we should be be working on the lists now because some items take longer to get. Just a heads up.

For those of you who got cards, I called today to ask about one of the required items on the list we got and I was told we will not need to bring those items in with us to orientation, it's for after but we should be be working on the lists now because some items take longer to get. Just a heads up.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 gigawatts!

Should I give up hope of receiving anything with this last test, and just wait to test again in 2015? I'm a non vet minority who scored a 97.I have friends telling me to just join the military and then try, I'm new to this process so please excuse my ignorance.

I wouldn't join the military just because you want to be a cop; I would join the military to serve my country, learn a skill or skills, develop myself as a team player, and develop myself as a person.

It's not a sure path either, but it greatly increases your chances for any time of a government job - especially fed jobs. If I had the opportunity to live my life over again, I definitely would have joined the military. Unfortunately due to family pressure when I was younger as to what I should have done with my life, I didn't. Of course I'm now in my 30s and my mother still thinks I haven't achieved what I am capable of and doesn't approve of my chosen career (police work), but oh well. ;)

Sure, Boston would LOVE to pick up a week one quitter............. :rolleyes:
Exactly, I would say it definitely depends on the circumstances by which you quit. If you just quit on your own then in terms (as opposed to being booted) of a background check I'm sure you are ok. If you quit because you couldn't hack then perhaps it's time to think of another line of work.

Who said anything about quitting? I meant to say, what if you were in line to be selected but didnt because they already picked their top 200. Would I still be able to get selected for BPD?
Let's say if you didnt go through all the way in the MSP academy...do you still have a chance to get on the BPD academy?
We are cops...we read between the lines. Your first post made it sound like you entered the academy and didn't make it.

Choose your words wisely. You won't have any problems if you just say you got processed and approved but they didn't have enough seats for you to make it in.

Sent from my flux capacitor using 1.21 gigawatts!

Thanks for the advice, but it still doesnt answer my question...
"In" and "through" the academy makes it seem that you would be selected and reporting to the spa. Not selected is completed different.

And why would you think that not being selected by the MSP would preclude you from being hired by Boston?

Or are you backtracking to prevent from sounding foolish?

941 - 960 of 1,442 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.