Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Next Boston Academy (New Thread All Posts)

495K views 1K replies 223 participants last post by  Alfredorder 
#1 ·
New Thread lets keep it on topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have any update information for the Academy in May?

#2 ·
I heard may 28th. It seems like the class is mostly comprised of vets, cadets, bilingual canidates, and women. Rumor is that there is going to be a class in the fall. It seems like all the guys that participate on this website are non vet male 10s like myself. We were put through part of the process in febuary and havent heard anything since. RI said that we were a reserve list that would backfill the may class and be inline for the next class.
Has anyone heard anymore on a fall class?

#3 ·
I heard may 28th. It seems like the class is mostly comprised of vets, cadets, bilingual canidates, and women. Rumor is that there is going to be a class in the fall. It seems like all the guys that participate on this website are non vet male 10s like myself. We were put through part of the process in febuary and havent heard anything since. RI said that we were a reserve list that would backfill the may class and be inline for the next class.
I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that BPD will need to call for another list from CS for the next academy. I would venture to guess that since you were on the first cert. list that you would appear on the new [2nd] list as well, unless you were squeezed down by added names, but I don't think you are automatically or guaranteed a spot in the next class.

#4 ·
My friend is going in that class in May if all goes well. He said he did the obstacle course today and they have to start the class within a certain amount of time or everyone has to do it again. I gave him a hard time because he had to use the stairs to get over the wall.

Whats up with that?

#5 ·
My friend is going in that class in May if all goes well. He said he did the obstacle course today and they have to start the class within a certain amount of time or everyone has to do it again. I gave him a hard time because he had to use the stairs to get over the wall.

Whats up with that?
Every class has a minimum number of seats that have to be filled or no class.

I think Plymouth for example is around 40. If they can't fill the seats by a certain date, then the academy is usually put on float status. I would imagine Boston is the same way since they have outside departments attending their academy.

If the "x" amount of seats are not filled.

No academy.

#7 ·
I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, that BPD will need to call for another list from CS for the next academy. I would venture to guess that since you were on the first cert. list that you would appear on the new [2nd] list as well, unless you were squeezed down by added names, but I don't think you are automatically or guaranteed a spot in the next class.
I know they go to another list but I think what RI meant was that they would already have our info when they call for a new list

#8 ·
According to a friend who is going thru the process May 27th is the start date for the class. He also tok the PAT recently and said BPD Brass and academy staff were there watching and taking notes on each candidate. He said that them watching was intimidating to some people but he and others got pumped up for it.

#12 ·
Every class has a minimum number of seats that have to be filled or no class.

I think Plymouth for example is around 40. If they can't fill the seats by a certain date, then the academy is usually put on float status. I would imagine Boston is the same way since they have outside departments attending their academy.

If the "x" amount of seats are not filled.

No academy.
94c, I spoke to a staff instructor at the BPD academy today. He said they will start the academy on the 27th and they believe the number is going to be about 60-65. He said their academy has never been on float status. We might be sending a candidate for my department to a possible class there in October because the failure rate for BPD at the PAT has been very high and they might start another one then. Don't know if this is good news for you people out there who might be trying for Boston...but to me another class means another shot at the job.

#14 ·
I've heard the same thing that another BPD Academy is slated for the fall, unless they run two classes at once. Is their academy really 32 weeks?
He said the academy is shorter this time. In on the 27th of May and out maybe around the second week of November. I handed all the info to my Lt. as he is gathering info on which academy our recruit should go to. He did say they have cut out alot of the guest speakers who come in at the end and drone on endlessly about nothing and then use it on their resume. The recruits now do more hands on things such as court visits, active shooter training, respond to simulated radio calls, and they observe an autopsy at the ME's office. Sounds like they are getting back to the basics. My Chief liked that. I also didn't realize how many other departments they train (Mass EPO's, Andover, Cohasett, Chelsea, Middlesex County Sheriffs, Boston Univ, Arlington, Taunton) I always thought it was only their people.

#17 ·
So I got through the backround and home visit in Feb, my Investigator said everything checked out and was submitting my jacket, that I looked like a good candidate, then all of a sudden no word from anyone. Next thing I hear is that people are already doing the PAT for the next academy. No DQ letter, nothing from HR WTF? Anyone recommend any course of action I can take to get some info?

#18 ·
So I got through the backround and home visit in Feb, my Investigator said everything checked out and was submitting my jacket, that I looked like a good candidate, then all of a sudden no word from anyone. Next thing I hear is that people are already doing the PAT for the next academy. No DQ letter, nothing from HR WTF? Anyone recommend any course of action I can take to get some info?
Sit tight and check the mail.

BPD does not send out update notifications until well after the academy starts. If they simply did not reach your score, you will get a letter from BPD stating so. If you were bypassed (IE: DQ) it will come from Civil Service.

Either way, I would be shocked if letters went out before July. Sorry.

#19 ·
He said the academy is shorter this time. In on the 27th of May and out maybe around the second week of November. I handed all the info to my Lt. as he is gathering info on which academy our recruit should go to. He did say they have cut out alot of the guest speakers who come in at the end and drone on endlessly about nothing and then use it on their resume. The recruits now do more hands on things such as court visits, active shooter training, respond to simulated radio calls, and they observe an autopsy at the ME's office. Sounds like they are getting back to the basics. My Chief liked that. I also didn't realize how many other departments they train (Mass EPO's, Andover, Cohasett, Chelsea, Middlesex County Sheriffs, Boston Univ, Arlington, Taunton) I always thought it was only their people.
Trueblue...don't drink the Cool-Aid. I have had some freinds in the past few classes in Boston. One from the very last class said that at the end when they should have been doing practical stuff they spent their time being indoctinated into "Community Policing" with power point presentations that had hundreds of slides and going to "Community Meetings" to meet people they will never meet again. It became their main focus. They wanted more hands-on stuff, but that wasn't happening. He said the staff did a good job, but it was clear to the class that the thier hands were tied.

#23 ·
Good luck. Hope you get in and do well.

-you too man. your days are counting down, ha ha, so keep it locked in and your eyes on the prize. there should be some arlington boys in that class.
I'm not going in...I've been on a department for 20 years! Went thru Waltham academy.

#25 ·
oops, well good luck anyway!
Thanks,.....I did have some flashbacks of the academy after you posted. I will tell you and everyone else getting ready to go into police work that all of you have to jump thru more hoops to get the job than everyone in my academy class.

#26 ·
So.. I am in the same shoes you are. I have been through EVERYTHING and no PAT card. I know several others who have taken it, several females are failing. My friends recruit detective told her that those of us waiting to get the PAT card will be called as/if/when those others fail on their second try.

Aside from that, I don't know if we would have to start the entire process all over again for whenever the next class is (is there one in November?) Does anyone know how that works? Do we have to go through the entire application process again? I don't know, it's very frustrating but keep at it! They might call us last minute!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.