Next Academy | MassCops

Next Academy

Discussion in 'State Police' started by graveyardsleeper, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. graveyardsleeper

graveyardsleeper New Member

Anyone hear about another academy starting right when this one gets done

2. tigerwoody

tigerwoody MassCops Member

I heard a rumor from someone in the academy now that there is going to be possibly two more classes off the 2002 exam that will test the rest of the 95s and get to the top of the 94s.

3. Live303

Live303 New Member

definately 1 more class from this test not sure about 2

4. badgebunny

badgebunny "Tinkerbell"

How long is the test usually good for?

5. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

They should have the test go for atleast another 1 -2 classes seeing that thousands of people paid all that money for the test in 2002 and just last year 3 yrs later they finally started hiring from the list.

6. GARDA

GARDA Subscribing Member

What Planet do you live on? Get your facts straight...This last test has produced the 77th, 78th, and 79th RTTs. (3 classes are typical from each exam) So what the hell does "seeing that thousands of people paid all that money" have anything to do with your reasoning?! Are you suggesting that money should influence the hiring process?
    Hmmmm, what a great idea...if you could just BUY your way onto the job... pay good coin to take the test, wait awhile, and then shout: "Take ME!, it's my turn."
    Hey, while we're at it, let's just relax even more of the entrance standards for every bottom dweller on the list ......sigh. ......barf .....repeat. NOT!!!

7. federal officer

federal officer MassCops Member

LOL can you say Providence Police !!!!!

8. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

I think he confused the MSP with the Sheriffs

:FM:

9. USMCTrooper

USMCTrooper Grim reaper

I say enough. The test is burned out. No more tests no more classes for a while. Let's get some movement upward first.

10. Mikey682

Mikey682 Subscribing Member

Seriously, now that I've gotten on the job, burn this list until the next one! hee hee!:baby13: :rofl:

11. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

G- Get your facts straight. I dont think it was fair for the Commonwealth to administer a test in 2002 and have people pay the what $50 it was and not call anyone off the list until last year almost 3 1/2 years later. So maybe you should read what I wrote instead of assuming that money will get you the job!!! For all those years the Commonwealth didnt recruit anyone off the list, people moved or went to war and couldnt hold on to waiting. Their only done to around 95 so why not pull another class or 2 off the list instead of wasting more taxpayers money having another test when the State claims to have no money?Maybe the state should refund the money to the people who took the test in 2002 seing that they didnt use anyone off the test until 3 1/2 years later.

12. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

G- Also, think of all the men and women that were training to be prepared for that once in lifetime chance to get recruited for the MSP for the past 4 years that have maxed out on their age limit becasue of waiting so long for the commonwealth to finally pull people from the list. If there is another test then people who waited all those who are over the age limit are screwed. Try not to be so selfish and you will see the big picture!!

13. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

Doesn't the age limit only apply to taking test? If I'm wrong someone correct me but that seems strange that they would let someone test and then say "Sorry you're too old now because the test happened 4 years ago."

14. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

No, what I meant is if they have a new test people who have already reached the 35 yr old age limit would be ineligable to take a new exam because of the age requirement. I know they want to get the best of the best but they should give everyone a fair chance before having a new test because of the delay in recruiting. Anyways I only posted my opinion and got bashed by G.

Goodluck to all future Law enforcement officers!!!

15. Vader

Vader MassCops Member

"Everyone" doesn't deserve a fair chance. You take the test and hope to make it into one of the classes. If it is not in the cards for you this time...then take it again.

You can't get the best of the best by giving everyone a fair chance. You take the top scores and run with it. And that is what happens. Could there be a better way??? Possibly, but that is the way it is. It also prevents any political appointees that don't belong.

16. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

In all fairness, the testing process in itself is flawed, perhaps if they did a BOP on all the testing applicants they could cut out 10-20% of the turds...without making them take the test and move them along through the application process, wasting time and money.

17. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

I agree the system is flawed just like the the Municpal civil service testing. All the age requirements and residence requirements. Iam very surprised that all these years no one has brought suit to those two requirements. The system is long over due for a complete overhaul!!

They do need to do BOP before testing to eliminate people who with record would never get the job but do they not do that because of the money they will gain from having people apply and pay the $50 testing fee?

Look at NH they make you do PAT before you can even take the test, now that is the right way..

18. futureMSP

futureMSP MassCops Member

Life isn't fair, MSP might hire every year but they have a budget. I'd bet when they first gave the test they did not realize there would be such a lag before they had classes. If states could forecast budget problems there probably wouldn't be any.

19. billy108b

billy108b New Member

Maybe you should of scored higher on the test. Nobody from the 77th, 78th and 79th are complaining about getting a refund on the money they spent to take the test. Life is imperfect buddy and you better get used to it The way to avoid all this type of drama is to score near the top of the list, Problem solved. Remember that when your taking the next SP exam.

20. phuzz01

phuzz01 Subscribing Member

We didn't used to do it that way. But not that many people were failing the written, while a large percentage (like, over 50%) were failing the PAT. So now we weed out the fatbodies first, and then go on to the written.

21. 48Weeks

48Weeks New Member

Re: flawed system

The system is definitly flawed in Massachusetts. There should be numerous factors in determining who should be hired, not just a written test score. An example would be 50% of score based off of the written test, 25% on background and 25% based on oral board OR something similar. I was lucky enough to score high enough and get on in Massachusetts but if I scored 1 point lower I would be working elsewhere. I have seen many high quality persons not ever get a card even though they scored 97, 98 or 99 etc . I have also seen many nitwits get hired based on them scoring well on a test OR scoring horrible but being a vet or minority. Scoring well on a test, being a vet (I totally respect vets, but being a vet doesn't make you a better Cop. I base my opinion on what I have seen out there. Many vets are great cops while many others are useless, just like when a non-vet gets the job, some are good, some are idiots), or minority does not make one a great cop. There are many other factors. However, the liberal state of Massachusetts will not change it's ways anytime soon. Someday (hopefully) the state will smarten up and hire the best candidates to serve our highways, cities and towns. Until then, be a good test taker and you are good to go. Stay safe.

22. Curious EMT

Curious EMT Subscribing Member

Re: flawed system

Are you infering that EVERYONE should go through the ENTIRE application process and at the last step they pick the top candidates? Yea, of the 15,000 people that took the MSP test, 13,000 probably got over a passing score over 70. 13,000 oral boards, backgronds, and PAT's is exactly what this state needs.

Maine does an interesting way of testing. You go up to the academy (one for the entire state and state police) at your leizure, and you take the written and physical test on the same day (or seperate if you wish), and that goes on your file, and you can retest if you want for a higher score. Then you take those results and apply with them anywhere, including Maine SP, then they begin the process with the top people from there. You can improve physicaly or mentaly, its not one shot every 5 years.

23. Enforcer174

Enforcer174 New Member

I dont have to get use to it if I dont want to. Also, for your info I scored a 97% and Iam already on the job for you information. I just pointed out that it would be nice for others if they pulled 1 more time from this list. Can you say that your on the job?

24. billy108b

billy108b New Member

Ya I can!

25. Vader

Vader MassCops Member

There is no perfect way of doing it. If you start taking cummulative scores from PAT / written / oral / etc., then you will run into people being hired because daddy or mommy knows someone. They get in under the radar because you can't point to one particular score that would eliminate / qualify them. MA is simple. You get in the top % or you take it again. Its what happens after that needs to be scrutinized. BOP's / higher PAT standards / etc. That would weed out a bunch of folks that get on, and take someone's seat who really wants and deserves it...then drop out, when they know they didn't want to be there in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.