Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself, I Mike (24 yro) from Peabody MA. Last week I have the honor of being hired on a local Auxiliary Police force. (I won't say what PD, only because I have read some past threads about auxies.) The department Sgt. stated the NERPI class is this upcoming Saturday and I am nervous as heck.

However, on a different note I am excited to have join this group and I look forward to any advice, tips and learning opps you folks are willing to share.

Warm regards,
Mike

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
Hello Mike:85565:

and welcome aboard!!
Good luck this saturday and dont be nervous.. I'm sure you will be fine!

Enjoy the Forum. Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Welcome aboard, kid! Put on your heavy coat, as the "pin" is always out here! Nothing is personal (99 44/100% of the time...but it can be!).

Good luck in your new position...keep testing...

and remember..."it's only a movie".

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
As a fulltimer who was an AUX prior to being hired I can tell you this is the time to learn about the job. Like previously mentioned, keep testing, but also keep learning. There is a big differnce between aux and regulars. But if you can get as many certifications as you can now, you'll be on the right track.
NERPI is not that bad, don't try to take any short cuts, study and learn for the street not for the test. This way when and if you make it to the full-time academy yu will have a head start on the laws.
Know your department. Find out what the regulars expect and what they will not tolerate from you as an aux, that will make your job a bit more bearable.
Most importantly don't cross the line. You will not be trained adequitely enough to handle what the regulars do. Once you are off duty you are not a cop. I've seen a lot of good guys get jammed up because they flashed a badge around.

Good luck on the journey.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MichaelEMS said:
Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce myself, I Mike (24 yro) from Peabody MA. Last week I have the honor of being hired on a local Auxiliary Police force. (I won't say what PD, only because I have read some past threads about auxies.) The department Sgt. stated the NERPI class is this upcoming Saturday and I am nervous as heck.

However, on a different note I am excited to have join this group and I look forward to any advice, tips and learning opps you folks are willing to share.

Warm regards,
Mike
Thanks Cinderella, dcs2244 and Mortal knight for the welcome!

·
1,952 Posts
Greetings Michael and welcome to Masscops!

NERPI is a good program I thought and 99% of the instructors enjoy being there (or at least make you think that). Keep up with the readings if you don't have any background in law/criminal procedure. The tests are a breeze if you do it with the class rather than the usual cramming. You'll have a good time. If you have any questions, I still have all of my stuff from it, feel free to email.

As far as the Aux. position, "know your role" comes into play. While you aren't a regular and have a different responsibilities, the side effect that we all face is that what you do will follow you around, on and off duty.

Be smart and safe
~Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck and have thick skin. Nobody is more sarcastic or critical than a cop (not including the wife). It is all in fun and throwing it back is just as fun. When it is not in fun, just drive on, we're family.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Scott and MSP75 for the welcome and Scott I just might take you up on that offer!

- Mike

·
Subscribing Member
1,362 Posts
Welcome Michael

I am an Aux member myself I know it is a good time but like crvtte65 said know your role don't go in to the department like you know it all, nothing pisses regulars off more than some young cocky kid telling them how to do a job they have been doing for years. You need to go in knowing your stuff but always be willing to learn and heed advice from the senior guys. The thing that will impress the other officer the most is if you go in with confidence in what you know, a desire to learn what you don't and a willingness to do your job As for NERPI do not know much about that course as I went through the reserve intermittent academy in Boylston but I sure it is not to different as to the stuff you learn just keep up on you reading and read everything that they give you as the more knowledge you have the better of you are. And if you have any question let me know. Good luck stay safe and have fun.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Hi mike!
I am a special auxillary in Marblehead, but live in Danvers....right over the line! :shifty:

When I got on and was in my first meetings I was told by the seinor guys that knowing your role as a auxillary was a huge part of the "job". It is our job to be a compliment, not a replacement for the regulars. Be the mustard, not the sandwhich.

Also bro, watch what you do and say. It only takes one "Oh fuck"8-O to ruin all those "atta boys" :hump: .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Mike,
Which Academy are you going to. I am scheduled to go the Feb 3rd NERPI in Reading Mass. Well good luck to you and maybe see you around,

·
Subscribing Member
856 Posts
seadiver said:
Hey Mike,
Which Academy are you going to. I am scheduled to go the Feb 3rd NERPI in Reading Mass. Well good luck to you and maybe see you around,
Dude, the last post before yours was from 2005. Mike already done with academy training by now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mike,
I just finished the last class from N.E.R.P.I in Reading, MA, dont worry at all, just keep up with the teachings and it will be 23-weeks before you know it. The instructors are great and want you to learn. Make sure you not only comprehend the information for the test, but also the street, they give good points.

Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.