Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New York City vegetarian firefighter has beef with how he's treated by colleagues

Published November 19, 2012
FoxNews.com
A New York City firefighter is reportedly claiming he's being ostracized by his colleagues because he has become a vegetarian.
The New York Post reports that Anthony Harper, 42, an eight-year veteran, decided to change his diet about two years ago and began refusing to help pay for or share in the communal meals at his Brooklyn firehouse.
"It seemed that every single meal there was a meat dish," he told the newspaper. "It was always chicken and red meat."
Harper claims his problems began when fellow firefighters started to criticize his dinner choices. But the harassment grew to the point where he became a pariah who was regularly given dangerous assignments on the roofs of burning buildings and threatened with physical violence, he said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/11/19/new-york-city-vegetarian-firefighter-reportedly-claims-being-ostracized/?test=latestnews#ixzz2CgQ7tvgn

G

·
I know nearly nothing about the ways of firefighters, but what if someone was just picky and chose not to eat the meals that were fixed? Would they still be expected to chip in? I know hubby puts $$$ in for their barracks kitchen fund regardless of how much of the food he eats or coffee he drinks. Seems like if you're part of a close knit team, you participate as a teammate, not based on how much you consume. JMHO.

Sent from my wicked smaht DROID RAZR

·
Smurf theft victim
600 Posts
The harassment grew worse when he was given dangerous assignments on the roofs of burning buildings?? Isn't that called being a firefighter?

Imagine if it had read like this:

"The officer claims that at first, his refusal to contribute to kitchen fund was met with annoyance. However, that annoyance grew to harassment when the department required him, dangerously, to wear a firearm and make arrests."

G

·
I recently went to a bachelor party where the groomsmen pitched in to get a huge hotel suite for the night. I couldn't stay over, as my son had an early football game the next morning, but I still kicked-in my $200 share and didn't bitch about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
If he thought it was bad BEFORE he went to the press, what the fuck does he think its going to be like now? Choose your battles nozzle head

Reactions: LGriffin

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Holy shit! Waaaaaaah I don't eat meat like normal men. Waaaaah the guys are mean to me cuz I eat rabbit food rather then participate in shift meals. Waaaaah I was forced to do real work. STFU, and accept that you're not living as part of the team, and stop whining.

·
Subscribing Member
1,832 Posts
I recently went to a bachelor party where the groomsmen pitched in to get a huge hotel suite for the night. I couldn't stay over, as my son had an early football game the next morning, but I still kicked-in my $200 share and didn't bitch about it.
And that's the difference between bachelor and bachelorette parties (among a couple other things). My wife was planning a bachelorette and the amount of bitching and moaning was astounding. I get it, they are women, but every bachelor party I've ever been to has been "what time should I be there and how much do I owe?"

·
Registered
73 Posts
And that's the difference between bachelor and bachelorette parties (among a couple other things). My wife was planning a bachelorette and the amount of bitching and moaning was astounding. I get it, they are women, but every bachelor party I've ever been to has been "what time should I be there and how much do I owe?"
Yup, actually it can be worse, I've watched women fight over a common lunch bill, who had what, etc. Annoying. Guys just whip out a credit card and carve it up x ways, unless someone picks up the check.

BTW, I saw the " I'm not eating this stuff so I don't want to pay for it even though I'm on the crew. I called Bravo Sierra right away

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
They are really just too much, sounds like a godamn soap opera. Friggin bucketheads just take themselves way too serious...

G

·
Why couldn't they all compromise and let this guy make 1 vegetarian meal per week for everyone? I have no desire to stop eating meat, but I've had some tasty vegetarian dishes and could deal with it once per week.

·
Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com
2,963 Posts
And Joe won't pick up after the dalmation
And Julio hid my teddy bear
And Charlie didn't put the seat down
Just transfer the F&*^%$ cry baby

Reactions: USMCMP5811

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
As usual, I'm sure there is "more to the story". That being said, you'd be surprised at how much grief some people will give to an individual who chooses to live a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. Simple chiding is one thing, but sadly it can become downright aggressive. Why should he have to pay for the other firefighters' food plus his own? They don't have to agree with his diet, but they don't have to harass him over it, and they certainly shouldn't expect him to pay for theirs. Maybe he should move to Austin, TX, where they're more receptive to his ideas -- http://engine2diet.com/
:cool:

G

·
As usual, I'm sure there is "more to the story". That being said, you'd be surprised at how much grief some people will give to an individual who chooses to live a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle. Simple chiding is one thing, but sadly it can become downright aggressive. Why should he have to pay for the other firefighters' food plus his own? They don't have to agree with his diet, but they don't have to harass him over it, and they certainly shouldn't expect him to pay for theirs. Maybe he should move to Austin, TX, where they're more receptive to his ideas -- http://engine2diet.com/
:cool:
My sister-in-law is vegan (even more militant than vegetarian), but I don't give her any shit about it. I just chuckle to myself when I see her on holidays pretending to enjoy her tofu "turkey".

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
Vegan is a complete lifestyle adjustment. I could be vegetarian, but I couldn't imagine giving up my leather sofa, leather car interior, leather boots, etc., which I'd have to do as a vegan. I do cook quite a few vegan meals and I really do enjoy them. I know you saw my BBQ tofu, lol!

G

·
Vegan is a complete lifestyle adjustment. I could be vegetarian, but I couldn't imagine giving up my leather sofa, leather car interior, leather boots, etc., which I'd have to do as a vegan. I do cook quite a few vegan meals and I really do enjoy them. I know you saw my BBQ tofu, lol!
I should add that she sometimes glances at me with disgust as I gnaw on a drumstick like the King at the Medieval Manor.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts