Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Steve Gehrke
The Salt Lake Tribune

Eighty-seven years ago, Marshal Lee Isbell was shot in the left hip while making his final rounds through Richfield's business district. His wound became infected, and he later died. Virtually the entire community came to his funeral.
Within a generation, both the community and the local police department had forgotten him.
But in a solemn ceremony Friday morning, families of Isbell and other fallen officers pushed plaque markers into place on a new Utah Law Enforcement Memorial - an effort to ensure their loved ones are always honored. The plaques commemorate the officers by listing their names, respective agencies and the date they died on duty.
The memorial will be officially revealed today during a dedication ceremony at the Capitol.
The Hartons came to remember Steven Harton, a special agent with the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad who was killed by a drunken driver in 1990.
"As a kid, you always think your dad is the greatest," said Steven's daughter, Shannon Harton, her voice beginning to quiver. "This [memorial] is really significant. When we have grandchildren, we have a place to come and show them what their grandpa did." Colton Harton turns 18 in November. His father was killed seven months before he was born.
"I never knew my dad, but this gives me something tangible to remember," he said. "This is just so powerful and emotional, I can't really express it."
National Park Ranger Michael Beaulieu's mother, Debbie, and daughter, Jordyn, came all the way from Presque Isle, Maine, to push his commemorative plaque into place.
Michael Beaulieu wasn't even from Utah, but the memorial honors him for giving his life trying to fight a wildfire that broke out in Bryce Canyon during August 1996. While he was on the way to the blaze, Beaulieu's patrol car left the road, rolled down an embankment and hit a tree.
For U.S. Park Ranger Randy Fisher, who came from West Virginia to be part of the ceremony's color guard, monuments like Utah's new fallen officer memorial show important gratitude for an otherwise sometimes thankless job.
"It's very comforting to know these memorials are here in case something happened to me," Fisher said. "I come to a half dozen of these every year, and I still get tears in my eyes. You never get used to it." Clarke Christensen, president of the Utah Law Enforcement Memorial board, said the monument was designed to be a sacred site, to give families a place to honor their loved ones, to ensure the officers are not forgotten and to understand the price that officers pay.
Unlike a war memorial, where the battle has ended, the fallen officers memorial will get new name plaques in the future. Cpl. Aaron Rosen with the Saratoga Springs Police Department said: "I could be on it tomorrow." But for those whose names are already part of the monument, it's serving its purpose.
The family of fallen Lapoint officer Det. Kevin Orr came to honor their father, husband and son who died when his helicopter hit a power line and crashed into the Green River during a search and rescue mission just less than two years ago.
His four children - Jessica, 13; Tyler, 11; Kaylee, 6; and Ashley, 4 - wore T-shirts with their father's picture across the front. On the back, they read: "In loving memory of Detective Kevin Orr, my daddy, my hero, my guardian angel." "He was the most amazing man in the whole world," said Kevin's wife, Holley Orr. "But this is a way to never let Kevin be forgotten."

Wire Service

1 - 1 of 1 Posts