Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our Department is thinking/planning on changing unions currently we are Teamsters and have and have been for a long time. They are worthless and have been as long as I have been here, 16 years, so this has been a long time coming.

I know there are a always some problems with a unions but I am wondering who is on the top of the list these days with the least amount of problems? who would you recommend? who do you wish was your union?

thanks all for any assistance.

·
75th N.H.P.A.
347 Posts
If your bargaining unit is large enough or willing to do some fundraising, you might benefit by forming an independent, unaffiliated union, and arranging to pay a retainer to (or bank up to pay an hourly rate for) the legal services your union and its members require.

I've seen independent unions like this do a number of different things. Some will pay for all of its members to be part of the MPA's legal defense fund then hire an attorney for labor law needs. The union may then pay dues to be part of MassCOP to get in on lobbying for police related issues on Beacon Hill.

The caution is that an independent union's treasury can look awful thin if there is an officer-involved shooting to defend.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you are considering changing unions there is only one way to do it. You need to schedule a meeting and encourage every single one of your members to attend. Invite several different groups to come in and make a presentation to your members. When the smoke clears, your group can decide which organization is the best fit.

Do some research as well. Are more groups leaving the organization than joining these days? Ask each of them for a list of references....and use it.

www.nepba.org (my favorite!!)
www.ibpo.org
www.masscop.org

Of course....I'm assuming your group is in the public sector. If not....well www.necops.org is the only way to go!!

Certainly not a big fan of the independent group thing. There is something to be said about "strength in numbers", especially when it comes to lobbying efforts.

Good luck!

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Last year we voted out IBPO and went with NEPBA. You know, the whole "cops looking out for cops" thing.. We'll see come contract negotiations this year..

But it don't mean shit if your E-Board sucks...

·
75th N.H.P.A.
347 Posts
Certainly not a big fan of the independent group thing. There is something to be said about "strength in numbers", especially when it comes to lobbying efforts.
Y'know, dgold has the right instincts, but...

I had a good experiences with the IBPO, but the quality of their staff attorneys really ran hot and cold. Then they started hiring convicted felons as national representatives.

If you can find a union that provides good service consistently and has quality staff, that too can be the way. Certainly larger unions are more in line with the goal of the workingman joining with his brothers to stand up against high-handed treatment by the ruling class.

The funny thing is, as I get older and more experienced, I am less and less joking when I use the phrase "the ruling class."

1919 forever

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with dgold127. When we were leaving IBPO, we had in MASSCOP, FOP, NEPBA and 2 private attorneys. We ended up going with NEPBA and they have been great for us. We settled our best contract ever in March. There legal staff also did a great job on one of my guy's shootings. They also did a great job with the Holbrook Officer (look in up on here) who is a few Town over from us. But have them all come in and do a presentation and the vote on which group works best for your local.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I have been a menber of the MPA for a while and we recently included MASSCOP in our representation. I would recomend either union and their representation to you. But I must stress that Deuce is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!! The union cant do anything for you unless you have a quality E-Board!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a question. Can State Colleges PD's get out of Afscme and get another union?
The short answer is yes. It would be complicated. You would need a majority of the entire bargaining unit to agree to it through an election. The problem for you is because you are affiliated with AFL-CIO, you would have to either affiliate with a non AFL-CIO group or go independent for 1 year before you could affiliate with a different AFL-CIO group. The AFL-CIO has a "no raid" clause which would prohibit you from immediately affiliating with a different AFL-CIO group.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts