New to the site and already enjoying it... | MassCops

New to the site and already enjoying it...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by SSTRT, Jul 23, 2011.

1. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

Hello to all... New here (obv) and I'm an aspiring Police Officer in this great state and the one north of it... Currently employeed working armed security at the Seabrook Nuke plant for almost five years making very good money but bored off my ass and not feeling like I make a difference... Little background on myself, I have a B.A. in Criminal Justice from St Anselm College and currently taking class to become EMT-B certified (hope to be certified by Oct/Nov) I haven't tested for a Department in several years because I took time off to get shape to prepare myself for Police testings... Lost about 30 pounds in the last few years and never felt better...

Always wanted to be a Police Officer ever since I was a kid, went to college with them saying "oh everybody will be retiring peice of cake getting a job" and I fell for it:teeth_smile: I tried for several years and then I found the job at the Nuke plant and thought it would help the resume which it does... Contemplating joining the Air Guard (or other Reserve/Guard) down in Otis (or any other "close" bHello to all... New here (obv) and I'm an aspiring Police Officer in this great state and the one north of it... Currently employed working armed security at the Seabrook Nuke plant for almost five years making very good money but bored off my ass and not feeling like I make a difference... Little background on myself, I have a B.A. in Criminal Justice from St Anselm College and currently taking class to become EMT-B certified (hope to be certified by Oct/Nov) I haven't tested for a Department in several years because I took time off to get shape to prepare myself for Police testings... Lost about 30 pounds in the last few years and never felt better...

Always wanted to be a Police Officer ever since I was a kid, went to college with them saying "oh everybody will be retiring piece of cake getting a job" and I fell for it :teeth_smile: I tried for several years and then I found the job at the Nuke plant and thought it would help the resume which it does... Contemplating joining the Air Guard (or other Reserve/Guard) down in Otis (or any other "close" base) as an Officer but the wife isn't a huge fan of that plan but oh well :shades_smile:

I recently applied for the UMASS Boston Police Job and actually found out about this site while doing research for my upcoming interview this upcoming Tues and it's been very helpful... I've been researching for about two weeks and just happened to find this site and the long 14 page thread on the job posting from back in May...

I've recently started looking into getting hired on as a Reserve Officer in some surrounding towns but my job schedule makes it very difficult to attend what I've been told is a Tues night, Thur night and all day Saturday Reserve Academy... There might be a point soon in the future where the job gets left behind and the wife and I make some sacrifices to fulfill my dream of being a Police Officer
    ase) as an Officer but the wife isn't a huge fan of that plan but oh well:shades_smile:

I recently applied for the UMASS Boston Police Job and actually found out about this site while doing research for my upcoming interview this upcoming Tues and it's been very helpful... I've been researching for about two weeks and just happened to find this site and the long 14 page thread on the job posting from back in May...

I've recently started looking into getting hired on as a Reserve Officer in some surrounding towns but my job schedule makes it very difficult to attend what I've been told is a Tues night, Thur night and all day Saturday Reserve Academy... There might be a point soon in the future where the job gets left behind and the wife and I make some sacrifices to fufill my dream of being a Police Officer... I look forward to learing a lot from you guys and enjoying the "thick-skinned" banter I enjoy so much!

2. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Welcome aboard bud. Good luck. Don't knock the Nuke Security gig. We've got a couple guys here who've been doing it for a long time. It's a thankless job, but in this day in age, I'm thankful we've got guys up there ready to pull the trigger.

3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Welcome aboard and Good luck in your endeavors

4. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Good Luck...

Little perplexed with the redundant phrasing though

5. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Eh...he sounds halfway bright and seems to have his heart in the right place. I vote we give him a pass on the first post. Doesn't sound like he needs the requisite newbie blanket party. Yet.

6. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Welcome aboard, now for starters:

View attachment 2516

The ball busting on this site can be epic!

7. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

Copy paste copy paste whaaaaa..???

8. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Yeah that's an understatement...also a reason why I love this place so much.

Welcome to the site

9. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

Not knocking it at all it's a good job just lacking the excitement and spontaneity I want... There are some awesome people working there and I've learned a lot from it...

Thanks...

LMAO... I def would have caught that but it had to get approved by moderation before it went up and I checked to see if it was up before I left work... Oh well I'm sure it'll open the floodgates :timebomb:

I wouldn't say halfway bright... I just know how to fake it :wink_smile:

Thanks and bring it on... Ball busting is fun... I have relatively thick skin...

Shit happens when you party naked...

Thanks...

10. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Welcome to MC, enjoy the ride.

11. Nuke_TRT

Nuke_TRT Stirrer of the Pot

You better be delta, otherwise, you can always aspire to be delta.

Welcome to the nuthouse.

12. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

Bravo all the way... Delta isn't any fun since Pete left...

13. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

Oh I forgot to mention I just got back from the interview a little while ago and it went good. I think they were impressed with me and said in about 2 weeks I should find out if I move on...

14. 263FPD

263FPD MassCops Angel

I will be retiring in about 16 or 18 years. I will hold my slot for you.

15. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Welcome. At one point you mention how your job has the.... “lacking the excitement and spontaneity I want”
    Trust me, that only lasts a few years. After a bit on the job, you DREAM of the lack of excitement and spontaneity. Well, maybe
    Not 100%, but close. I understand and encourage you in your efforts. Us old guys always need that crop of NEW guys who will do most of the physical labor and allow us to do the mental labor needed to get you guys out of the proverbial shit you’ll get into.

---------- Post added at 16:14 ---------- Previous post was at 16:12 ----------

YOU are MY kind of wise ass!

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Move to Quincy and establish residency.....I'm gone in less than 9.

17. Kilvinsky

You BASTARDS who keep talking about being gone in a few years. I'm older than many (not all) of you and I've got (If I want my Social Security-if it's still around) about 15-17 years left. I'll be responding to calls with a walker and yelling, "Hey you kids, get off the University's lawn!" Then I'll nap.

with the exception of the walker, I guess things won't change THAT much.:giggle:

18. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

So then I guess I shouldn't mention that I'm going to be gone in about 270 days then, huh?

19. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

Maybe you could get a lark or hoveround instead. You can put a blue light on it too, think of the possibilities. :teeth_smile:

I had to like the Herbert picture because it's funny not because it's making fun of Kilv.

20. Kilvinsky

Would saying "FUCK YOU" be rude? If it is, I won't, you asshole.

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:19 ----------

You are KILLING me. I'm laughing my ass off right now, and that's the God's honest truth. I wonder if I could buy a Hoveround with my clothing allowance since the university hasn't the money to buy one for me!

I'm picturing the ad for 'The Scooter Store' and seeing a cop going in circles waving! "I thougt I'd have to retire. I NEVER pictured myself chasing felons at this age and in this condition on my own legs. The Scooter Store has made breaking up parties and taking drunks to Health Services something I can still do and have fun while doing it! Thanks Scooter Store!"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Going back a few years, I recall going to the funeral of Paxton Police Chief Robert Mortell. I met up with an academy classmate of mine. We chatted and he mentioned that ANOTHER classmate was there. I hadn't seen him I said and he said that he had been in the area where the CHIEFS had been assembled.

In a nut shell, this guy turned out to be only about several months older than me and was planning to retire...AS CHIEF...in just a few years. Neither of us were even 40 at the time. TFour things kept me from going berzerk and killing him. 1) It would be WRONG. 2) I'm not that kind of guy. 3) It wouldn't have changed anything for ME. 4) Too many witnessnes.

I realized I had at LEAST 20 years left to go while retiring as a PATROLMAN. He was going in a COUPLE of years as CHIEF.

Jealous? NAH.

MY ASS! YOU BET I AM. THE PRIVATE SECTOR SUCKS SOMETIMES.

Ah, but at least, when it's my time (in now, about 16 years) I will get SOCIAL SECURITY...........if it's still in existance. :banghead:

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

I feel I should point out that my reply to sdb29 was simply a case of, I felt that the post made by sbd29 was a good natured shot at how short a time was left for that poster and my reply was a good natured shot back at how much longer I had. It may not have come accross that way and if anyone took any offense, I sincerely apologize. It was meant entirely in a humorous way, nothing more.

BTW, sbd29, if your avatar is from "Taking of the Pelham 123" I LOVE that movie and refuse to watch the remake. Mathau in that movie was amazing (and Jerry Stiller was damn good for his few scenes) and I cannot picture anyone doing a better job. His "I don't give a shit...UNTIL THE SHIT HITS THE FAN!" attitude was EXACTLY what I expect from a REAL cop. Too many movie cops in recent years are just too damn serious and too damn committed to be believable. Mathau was PERFECT.

The rest of the cast was pretty damn good as well, but I won't drag this out.

21. sdb29

sdb29 MassCops Member

Yeah I admire Walter Mathau because in "Grumpier Old Men" he got to bang Sophia Loren. I, on the other hand, never got to bang Sophia Loren. All I was able to do was get grumpy and old. But I'm still outa here in 270 Days

22. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

The way things are going in this state, the current 32 years service/age 55 for max retirement will be 55 years/75 age before long.

23. Kilvinsky

I wish I could say I feel bad, but, WELCOME TO MY WORLD! is more like it. At a mere (?) 51 I'm already too old for this shit. I can't see myself rolling around with some dipshit at 70, though Lord knows, I've know a couple of guys who could and not bat an eye.

One of our guys was somewhat 'forced out' at 70 so he went to work for the MDC (then DCR) as a Ranger. He's now hitting 80 and the son of a bitch is STILL going strong. I guess that's the result of taking care of yourself.

I'll be gone by 60. I'll show THEM!

24. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

Well I think you should hire me so I can decrease your workload :shades_smile: I'm willing to make that sacrifice for you...

Well that makes one of us... Most of the time I don't even like myself :sleep:

Let's see it in some animation form :D

[youtube]oCguYKxUaYI[/youtube]

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

My plan is to bid off the street in 4 years, then ride out my last 5 working inside.