Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
I had no idea the CHP had a SWAT Team. In my almost 20 years on the job, I've never even heard of them. Same with the boats, never heard of them either. Is it a northern California thing?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Bike patrols too! They must pedal pretty fast to keep from getting hit on the 880!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had no idea the CHP had a SWAT Team. In my almost 20 years on the job, I've never even heard of them. Same with the boats, never heard of them either. Is it a northern California thing?
Swat has been around since the 80s. Boats were added in the past couple of years. Heck, we even have some solid off-road vehicles for mountain and desert travel. Next thing you know we will have a free-fall parachute team! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Some of these "specialized" patrols might have been set up when the California State Police merged with the CHP in 1995 I think. The California State Police were pretty much = to a Boston Municipal Police they patrolled state property, etc. I also think they had jurisdiction over state reservoirs and the CA capital.

·
Subscribing Member
3,420 Posts
Swat has been around since the 80s. Boats were added in the past couple of years. Heck, we even have some solid off-road vehicles for mountain and desert travel. Next thing you know we will have a free-fall parachute team! :rolleyes:
I'm guessing the SWAT guys aren't used too much in southern California. Like I mentioned, I've never even heard of them let alone seen them in action.

What types of situations are they used for? Considering the CHP's primary focus is the highways and traffic type stuff, where are they used? Just wondering.

RG, you are right about the old California State Police being somewhat equal to the Boston Municipal Police. The LA County Police do the same thing for LA County. The LA General Services Police do the same thing for Los Angeles City.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts