New Q5 hotline by Steward Health | MassCops

New Q5 hotline by Steward Health

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Sooty, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Oh please.............
    After years of Judges telling us being assaulted, and other risks are "part of the job" now somebody want's to help us cuz COVID 19 is gonna put us over the edge!?!? Give em a call and open up your gun safe for them............

AB7, res2244, Drebbin and 5 others like this.
  3. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

You'er not wrong.. that's the real fucked up thing.

Sooty and mpd61 like this.
  4. control

control MassCops Member

Seriously? Literally the thread above this one is about a fellow cop who took their own life. If this hotline saves even ONE life or marriage or job then I'm all for it.

I've been on a stress team for the last about 5 years and have seen first hand the impact it has. This antiquated attitude of denying that our jobs expose us to unique, real, and serious mental health problems has to die. It is literally costing people their lives and livelihoods. Your own mental health is the biggest individual threat you will face in your career, your doing a disservice to yourself and your co-workers by downplaying it.

If you need help ASK for it. I'll be willing to bet almost every union has an EAP program separate from your municipality. If not look to your department's stress teams. There's legislation to protect your confidentiality in place. Hell call a hot line. But do something, and ignore the noise from the tough guy naysayers and put yourself first.

Hush likes this.
  5. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

First, I agree with control 100% with a small reservation. unfortunately those on the outside, especially those in power, who may be extremely sympathetic to those with mental health issues, no matter how great or small, will immediately be the first to back away from allowing a cop to continue if 'the officer has issues'. It's a stigma I think rational and mature cops have come to terms with, we all may need to sound off and get help now and them since unfortunately we're only human. But those who don't do the job (the ones who know better than any of us) only see a mental case with a gun and those who HATE cops will dance on the graves of careers. It's WRONG and thank GOD there are anonymous outlets that I hope and pray anyone needing one will take advantage of and I applaud Steward for doing this.

SECOND, Steward? Is this the company that closed Quincy Medical Center and ran the now destroyed Norwood Hospital? I hope they're better at help lines than running hospitals.

mpd61 and RodneyFarva like this.
  6. RodneyFarva

If you speak with a sworn officer and he expresses to you in confidence he is having suicidal ideations what is the next thing you do?

Hush likes this.
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Seriously!? FUCK Steward Health Care. As pointed out, there are ALREADY plenty of in-house entities and EAP's that will serve you better than these Johhny-come-lately clowns.

Hush likes this.
  8. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Logically, sworn officer or not, you’d do what you need to do to ensure that persons wellbeing. This goes back to the common interview question about having a partner who you notice is drinking on the job. When do you call it enough and destroy your friendship to get the poor guy some help he might never seek on his own?

It’s a damn shame that a cop can’t have “a bad day” or need to vent his emotional baggage to a professional without risking professional suicide. It’s understandable why anyone would have concern but we are all human. We should have mandatory mental health days every year where you are paid to go talk to a therapist.

Can’t carry a gun, can’t be a cop. Can’t be a cop, literally nobody else wants to pay you shit unless you have a degree, skill, or trade or you want to become a salesman. Dive right back into the entry level workforce and pray to god you get lucky.

I feel like this is similar to how veterans are treated. Everyone cares when it’s trendy, how quickly they forget that there’s human beings out there every day facing the worst humanity has to offer and they expect them to be unaffected. EMS and firefighters can have mental issues without eternal damnation.

mpd61, RodneyFarva and Hush like this.
  9. RodneyFarva

You are not just destroying the friendship, you're destroying his career and reputation as well as your own. You will become ostracized by your peers and labeled as a rat. Face to face people will agree with you "Hey man you had to do it" or "It was for his own good" or the ever popular "He was putting everyone's safety at risk". Soon after there will be less and less invitations to post work activities and even less interaction at work, if there are any they are fake as a 3 dollar bill. Then before you know it you ARE the internal investigation officer. ...Fucking Moe Tilden, fuck'n rat.

Kilvinsky, AB7 and Goose like this.
  10. Drebbin

Drebbin MassCops Member

I agree with Farva. Lots of people think that way. It's a part of police culture. Cops aren't afraid of anything except being called a rat. It scares us so much that we would rather keep our mouth shut and let someone die rather than be subjected to nasty name calling. Then you become a pussy instead of a rat.

RodneyFarva likes this.
  11. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

You’re spot on. Agree with everything.

I’d be inclined to really push the route of making the guy get help on his own terms, reach out to EAP, admit he has a problem. I’ve always been made to believe there’s some degree of protection associated with that. Even up to the point where I would flat out tell him “I’m going to bring it up if you don’t”. This spoken from the perspective of someone who has never been in that position and can only imagine how stressful and uncomfortable that conversation is. It’s a really shitty situation but nobody wants to go to more cops funerals, or see more cops brought up on charges and jailed.