New MPTC Curriculum | MassCops

New MPTC Curriculum

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Lt. Aldo, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Lt. Aldo

Lt. Aldo New Member

currently in an MPTC run academy now and looking for advice from officers that have gone through the new curriculum. Any good study guides out there? What should be focused on in the student lessons? What study practices worked best for you in the academy to get through the new curriculum?

2. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

Make a study group with your classmates. See if there’s any experienced reserve officers or out of state officers that could teach some of the newer guys the basics.

From there it’s just knowing what elements allow you to charge someone with a crime, what your right to arrest is, and the penalties.

Pay attention in class, do your reading, study with your classmates. Memorize things. Look up mnemonics online.

I assume just like every other academy you will have the 2020 LED Crim Law, Procedures, and Motor Vehicle Law books.

Memorize the use of force continuum.

Make sure you can make a damn good cup of hot cocoa and that you’re experienced with restocking and accessing blanket warmers.

This is not a fully exhaustive list, but it’s a start.

Drebbin and JR90 like this.
  3. Lt. Aldo

Lt. Aldo New Member

Thank you for the advice!

4. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

WTH "new curriculum" are you talking about?
    currently in an MPTC run academy now and looking for advice from officers that have gone through the new curriculum
    Are you in MPOC? what is new? I would say just hunker down and get the CURRENT aka "New" curriculum that you are CURRENTLY immersed in! Honestly, WTH are you talking about? What is the common frame of reference for the new curriculum? Mr. Spock would say you are not being logical with your vague question.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    CCCSD, Goose and JR90 like this.
  5. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

It’s only 672 hours now. Should be easier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG1911, mpd61 and CCCSD like this.
  6. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

What did they cut? For awhile, it seemed like academies everywhere were going up in hours.

7. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Take notes, take notes, take notes...

Back brief your classmates at the end of the day and ensure everyone has the same/similar notes and a good understanding of the concepts of that day.

From my experience, during MV/Crim/Procedural Law weeks; the instructor would always start the new day of lecture asking us if we had any questions from the previous day or the nights reading.

Do not be afraid to ask questions if you’re unsure, get comfortable being uncomfortable So long as it isn’t a dumb question (and yes there are such) ignore any flak you get from people.

Seek out other resources to aid you in understanding the material. For example, my academy did not use Scheft books for any class. Our class elected to buy a collection of his books with class dues, for each squad to share and pull information from.

And finally when in doubt, Pick C

Sooty, HistoryHound, Goose and 3 others like this.
  8. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Don’t know what they cut but it’s lower hours now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mpd61 likes this.
  9. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Everything to do with Officer Safety and killing someone who is trying to kill you.

mpd61, PG1911 and JR90 like this.
  10. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Yeah the goal is to decrease MPOC hours, and also to increase RES/INT hours until they are the same course in 2023.........
    and then they can say;
    FUCK SSPO!!!!

PG1911, Goose, CCCSD and 2 others like this.