New MPTC academy admission requirements | MassCops

New MPTC academy admission requirements

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by 02136colonel, Oct 26, 2018.

1. 02136colonel

02136colonel Supporting Member

Just heard that effective 07/01/2019 all new Student Officers admitted to an MPTC academy will be required to pass a fitness test, Cooper standards at the 40th percentile. This will be in addition to the PAT in Hudson. Details regarding implementation to follow

Joel98 and USAF3424 like this.
  2. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

I'll believe it when I see it. They had to add helper steps to the 5 foot wall years ago because of so many failures.

visible25 and 02136colonel like this.
  4. 38bigblock

38bigblock MassCops Member

Source?, I don’t believe it but I think it would be a good idea. Far to many people fail out because of PT, and this would be a good way to stop that.

5. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

This is true, several people from my department who are starting the academy just had to do this.

Bloodhound likes this.
  6. 02136colonel

I’ll post the memo when I get home.

7. 38bigblock

The PAT is great, but it doesn’t really set people up for success. Unfortunately the way it is now / was (idk?) it’s a false sense of security for those who struggle with PT. They pass the PAT and think “I’m all set for the academy” next thing you know they fail for PT. In my opinion, having the cooper standard + the PAT, SHOULD help lower those numbers

8. RROD

RROD MassCops Member

My understanding is that the PAT is more to ensure that recruits don't get injured during training. A lot of today's recruits didn't do sports or any physical activity other than video games and think they can be "cops". Unless drones and "robocop" uniforms are issued, policing is in trouble.

pahapoika likes this.
  9. ma-lf316

ma-lf316 New Member

10. AB7

AB7 MassCops Member

If you read the meeting minutes from the MPTC, they talked about adding the Cooper standard PT test for this summer. That’s the source I first heard about this. Not a bad idea when you consider that most COs have to go through it for their job.

Joel98 likes this.
  11. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Fire's had a pre-physical for years now..
    Surprised mptc academy is just catching up. :D

Joel98 likes this.
  12. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Just heard at a training yesterday that the MPTC has been doing mock drills of the new standards with current police officers for a couple of months. I heard that almost all have failed the test. I'm told there is a new proposed sprint type obstacle course that is almost impossible to pass. Testers who are in outstanding physical shape are passing or failing by a couple of seconds. The MPTC is not sure what to do.

CapeSpecial and Joel98 like this.
  13. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I thought they were doing copper again ? If not do what MSP does. Two obstacle courses and 1.5 mile run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. 38bigblock

Let’s spend a ton of money on this, come up with a lot of plans, and then not change anything. Even better, let’s change it when there’s nothing wrong with the way it is not.

Hush and pahapoika like this.
  15. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

As of July 1st, the Cooper test is officially replacing the obstacle course PAT for academy entry. This is directly from the MPTC.

pahapoika and 02136colonel like this.
  16. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I know that but I heard no one was passing cooper for upcoming classes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

There are a lot of people not passing it and chiefs are starting to panic.

18. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I was told by a chief that he sent a guy to the test who just got out of the marines and is in outstanding shape. They did not think he would ever fail any kind of fitness test but he failed the new test.

j809 likes this.
  19. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

How the fuck are people not passing it??? It's at the 40th percentile; you barely need to work out more than twice a week to make those numbers.

Tuna and Joel98 like this.
  20. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I agree, it’s pretty pathetic. There should be no reason why people can’t pass the 40th percentile.

21. 02136colonel

Isn’t it the exact same test DOC has used for years? How is DOC able to get recruits to pass but PDs can’t?

pahapoika likes this.
  22. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Back in 1991 ( when dinosaurs roamed the Earth )
    The DOC made you go to a doctor and get checked out before attending the academy.

. The form said 25 push-ups, 35 sit-ups, run a mile and a half in 10 minutes or something like that.

Had a Korean doctor make me do push-ups and sit-ups in his office then jog in place for 5 minutes to prove that I was in shape :D

Didn't matter . Was running Castle Island every night , doing a hundred push-ups and a couple hundred sit-ups.

Had no military training, heard stories about Parris Island and was scared stupid.

Ended up gaining 10 pounds in the academy :eek:.

Kids , PT till you die !

Get a good pair of sneakers ( I like Asics )
    Run every night, if you do 20 sit-ups today do 21 sit-ups tomorrow.

Hire a damn personal trainer if you have to but get off your ass and get out there.

You're entering a profession that goes Hands-On with bad guys.

Plan accordingly

that is all :cool:

USM C-2, yellowlabs68, NG1992 and 3 others like this.
  23. 38bigblock

And then the day you graduate you start to grow sideways and go though about 2-3 belts and never run again LOL

Johnny Law and pahapoika like this.
  24. felony

felony MassCops Member

Literally every other new England state requires some form of cooper standards to become a police officer. New Hampshire I believe has annual pt tests that you must pass.

pahapoika and Joel98 like this.
  25. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

CT has had 40th percentile Cooper standards for years. Some departments even require 50th, which is STILL not that hard if you work out regularly.

I'll say this though: One thing that's kinda of sad is that New England in general seems to have some of the "toughest" physical standards for police hiring in the country. Most agencies other states that use the Cooper test only usually require 30th and below, I've found. New England is the only place I've seen that consistently requires 40th and above (that and NY State Police, which requires 50th for entry and 70th for graduation)