New MPTC Academies | Page 2 | MassCops

New MPTC Academies

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by ClintEastwood4Sheriff, Feb 3, 2019.

1. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

They can have one academy all setup at Devens just like other states and they can invest a lot of money at airfield for skids etc. Msp can still have new Braintree and Boston have their own. This would be MPTC only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCCSD likes this.
  2. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

There’s been a regional police law on the books for decades, so if small towns want to regionalize, they can.

The problem is that no town wants to give up “their” police department, and the ability to hire who they want, not who people in 2-3 other towns want to hire.

General Law - Part I, Title VII, Chapter 41, Section 99B

CCCSD and Goose like this.
  3. PG1911

PG1911 Back Out in the Sticks

The thing is, since some private schools (BU, BC, MIT, and Harvard, to name a few) require the FT academy and won't take the SSPO academy or the R/I academy+CJ major waiver thing, I'd say just get rid of SSPO altogether, for both public and private schools. Have two types of academies only: Troopers go to the State Police Academy, everyone else, be it municipal PD, public university PD, or private university PD, all get certified through the municipal academies. You can jump from being a cop at some tiny liberal arts school to a big city department without having to go back to another academy. I'm sure the private schools would go apeshit over that though, since SSPO is a good tactic to make sure that officers can't jump ship to municipal PDs with better pay and benefits.

Goose likes this.
  4. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

I know of at least two towns that did it. Hardwick, ma took over policing for New Braintree. download.jpeg

5. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

What I don’t understand as everyone says it’s politics in Massachusetts that prevents regionalization from happening. Look at Long Island, Metro Virginia and Maryland. They all have many County Police Departments in urban areas. If these highly political areas can do it why can’t we?

6. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Si Se Puede.

:eek:

mpd61 and j809 like this.
  7. PG1911

Regional PDs are very common in PA, but they are often very unstable for the reasons you stated. Towns join and leave regional PDs as the municipal governments realize, as you said, that they don't have full control over the PD. The dumbest thing is that a lot of towns there would actually prefer to have no PD at all than share one with any other town.

Because NY, MD, and VA have full service county governments, whereas most of MA's counties only exist as geographical markers and judicial districts. In many parts of MD and VA, there is no local government, so the county provides all services that towns in MA would provide (and often more). Having the counties provide all the services in VA and MD is written into those states' statutes, and it's been standard practice there pretty much since the states came into existence. They actually set up the county/local structure that way in order to avoid this political bullshit and debates about regionalizing and stuff. For this reason, I think those two states probably have the most efficient law enforcement setup in the country. It'll never happen here in New England though.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  8. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

County Police. A couple years ago we had a member on I think a department in Virginia. I don't remember if he was talking about VA or MD, but if you get the state police, the county police, and the city police all at a scene and they're all in their jurisdiction, that the county police had more authority there than everyone else.

And that's why it wouldn't work in MA.

CCCSD likes this.
  9. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

You have a lot to learn about Massachusetts politics/nepotism.

Anyway, the big question is, why do you care? Towns can regionalize if they want, they’ve had the option for decades, and yet the tidal wave majority haven’t. I’d say that’s their business.

Joel98 and CCCSD like this.
  10. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Trust me, I am well aware of how this state works. My questions are more just me thinking out loud as I already know the answer.

I guess I care because it can save money, provide better services, increase safety etc.

11. PBC FL Cop

PBC FL Cop Subscribing Member

County police and/or county sheriff's are typically responsible for the unincorporated areas of the county. Massachusetts does not have ANY unincorporated areas, all land is Massachusetts is incorporated therefore the MA Sheriffs do not have any primary law enforcement jurisdictions in the Commonwealth. I'm not arguing the law enforcement authority of a MA sheriff but rather what a sheriff's traditional jurisdiction is and why MA Sheriff's do not have a traditional patrol function.

Sheriff's are typically the highest law enforcement officer in the county due to the fact they are the only elected law enforcement official. Elected officials represent and answer to their electorate and therefore are typically granted higher authority than appointed officials.

Joel98 and pahapoika like this.
  12. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

You could fix all this if you just made everyone an SSPO. I mean, there’s even State in the title...

pahapoika, j809, PG1911 and 2 others like this.
  13. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

FUCK SSPO!!!!!!!

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  14. PG1911

There are some states that have fully incorporated land and still have full service county sheriff's offices or police departments. New York comes to mind. With the exception of NYC, all the counties have either SOs or PDs, most of which provide full law enforcement services. NY has four layers of law enforcement, and each level of government can choose whether to do LE themselves or defer to the level above them: Villages can have their own PD or let their town cover them, towns can have a PD or let the county sheriff or police cover them, and counties can either choose to cover those towns or let the NY State Police cover them.

The main reason why the position of sheriff is so limited in MA is that counties, and by extension, sheriffs, have never really been a big thing in MA, or any of the 3 southern New England states for that matter. All the towns have home rule, and everyone identifies by their town, and not their county. The idea of a county sheriff instead of town police is just foreign to Mass.

pahapoika and CCCSD like this.
  15. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

I love you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

pahapoika, Goose, j809 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

"You could fix all this if you just made everyone an SSPO. I mean, there’s even State in the title..."

This is one of the best posts I've seen on Masscops.

samadam78, USM C-2 and pahapoika like this.
  17. PG1911

It also has Special in the title. That kinda like makes it like special forces or something...

Edmizer1, pahapoika, Goose and 2 others like this.
  18. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Oooohhhh... didn’t think about THAT! Yeah Boy!!

19. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

Can we wear berets?

pahapoika, CCCSD and PG1911 like this.
  20. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

It would also make everyone feel "Special", which is a good thing for everyone.

CCCSD likes this.
  21. CCCSD

CCCSD MassCops Member

Back in the ghetto days, my partner and I donned Blue UN Berets While manning a traffic checkpoint ordered by Da’Mayor. We called all drivers “Citizen” and “Comrade “. Scared the Bejesus out of the (white)commuters...

Said checkpoint was removed when the CHP ordered us to stop blocking traffic on a State Roadway, (WE knew it was BS, we just wanted to have some fun).
    Good times.

Joel98, Edmizer1, mpd61 and 3 others like this.