New MPTC Academies | MassCops

New MPTC Academies

Discussion in 'Academy Information' started by ClintEastwood4Sheriff, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ClintEastwood4Sheriff

ClintEastwood4Sheriff MassCops Member

There has been some information that has been put out in regards to a new MPTC Academy format. Is the MPTC shortening the academies? Thanks in advance for any information.

2. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

Interesting.

Talking with the owner of a local "sporting goods store" . Said the reserve intermittent would soon be the same hours as the full-time Academy just taken on a part-time basis.

Eventually everybody will have to attend the full-time Academy and just deal with the inconvenience / hardship.

Could be a blow to departments that heavily augment their force with part-timers. Can understand the reasons for bringing part-time up to full time Academy standards.

Will be hard finding people to sacrifice three months of their lives.

3. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

I think they’re talking about reducing it to 19 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

My opinion on this is simple... if you’re on the road (town or college) and making (or have power to make) arrests you should have full time academy hours. If your just doing it for details or Like animal control than fine short reserve academy is ok. These departments using part time academy trained guys to work solo patroLs for 75% of their shift coverage is a liability in my opinion

PG1911, CCCSD and 02136colonel like this.
  5. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Cut out the D&C, and BS feel good filler and you could cut the FT Academy down several weeks. Although more time should be spent on criminal and MV law, I remember when I went through most of it was just breezing through power points and not really understanding it.

CCCSD, pahapoika and 02136colonel like this.
  6. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

I believe the Randolph academy which starts tomorrow is 23 weeks.

pahapoika likes this.
  7. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

You are right to an extent. Many town PDs are 100% part-time, are constantly turning over their staffs, and are essentially covered by MSP. These PDs really only nibble at law enforcement and back off when something real needs to be handled. The argument can be made that these officers should be full-time academy trained but its just not feasible. A guy I work with has a brother who is a police chief in Maine. He tells us that Maine has a system where part-timers have a certain amount of hours allotted to them to work. Once you reach your yearly cap, you can't work until the next year. Seasonal officers could use up their hours working full-time in the summer and others may use it up by working a few hours a week year round. I have heard of part-time officers in Mass who routinely work 40+ hours a week, either with one PD or several at the same time.

pahapoika likes this.
  8. Treehouse413

Treehouse413 MassCops Member

Yes I believe 18 weeks.

j809 likes this.
  9. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Here’s the bigger question, why do these “P/T” depts even exist? Wouldn’t a regional department with a handful of full time officers make sense?

PBC FL Cop, samadam78 and j809 like this.
  10. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

quick answer: politics and cash.

pahapoika, NG1992 and mpd61 like this.
  11. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

Ahhhh
    "LIABILITY"
    Really? You must worship Ron Glidden. It burns my ears to hear the anti-PT crap being slung around here for years. Many municipalities have operated like this for DECADES due to budget, plain and simple. PT officers working 24, 32, or even 40+ hours, sometimes at more than one department, have served and performed successfully for DECADES. Many of you here act like PT officers make the news every week in some negative fashion. Many of you started out your careers as PT with fire in your bellies, and open minds willing to listen and learn. You also have FT cops working at some agencies that are making arrests, with no guns or cruisers. Any "Liability" there? Many of them are FT without MPOC. Does that make them any less capable? Too may variables exist in Mass L.E. right now to make simple blanket assertions like above.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  12. svthlcpdmedic

svthlcpdmedic MassCops Member

I heard there is a bill on captial hill to obolish auxillary police and part time officers would only be allowed to do details.o_O

13. mpd61

1. State House or Beacon Hill for mass legislature, not "captial hill"
    2 Abolish not "obolish"
    The rumor you choose to perpetuate would probably take separate actions; auxiliary police come under MEMA statutes.
    back in 2015 Senator Bruce Tarr introduced a bill that spoke about establishing Level I, II, and III powers and duties for police/sheriff/auxiliaries. It was an interesting read, made it through a couple of committees, but died....................

14. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I did not see the Massachusetts level I, II, III bill but it sounds interesting. I think Maine has a rule that part-timers have to turn over any felony invests to a full-time officer. I know some states have established alternate titles like "Conservator of the Peace" and "Peace Officer" and I know New Jersey has "Class II" police officers. I know "Conservator of the Peace" is popular down south and is essentially a law enforcement officer with limited powers. I know the "peace officer" designation in New York is complicated.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

This sentence is an obortion.

ShmitDiesel, mpd61 and Goose like this.
  16. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

Ahh the O’Bortions, good ole Irish family from the old country ;)

JD44, triplethreat, pahapoika and 5 others like this.
  17. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

I’ll make it easy: 1. Merge the SSPO and R/I into one Academy. Run them at community colleges as part of the CJ program. The cert would be good for PT/campus/special work. You would pump out 600+ kids a year easy. 2. Create a bridge program into a full time academy held regionally. Less time/money. 3. Open ONE residential academy for everyone else. 4. The state should open a mass maritime type junior college. The type where every year 300-500 some od kids could walk out with an Associates in CJ and a FT academy. O well what do I know.

18. mpd61

What you say makes sense, however, I'll do the next logical progression;
    Make it ALL the same length and same Cert across the board...................

CCCSD and NG1992 like this.
  19. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

I agree that ONE standard for everyone with Police powers is the way to go. However, I realize there may be Chiefs and political types who would not like to see that happen. So at the very least, merge the SSPO and R/I (R/I being a joke of a program anyway) programs into one curriculum at community colleges and then create a bridge program.

mpd61 likes this.
  20. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

Just about 75% of state troopers just stroked out because of this sentence.
    "I WAS IN THE FIRST PLATOON OF THE XXRTT IN NEW BRAINTR... !!!!....(flat line)"

JD44, pahapoika, CCCSD and 4 others like this.
  21. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The closest thing to this experiment was the "Law Enforcement Certificate" program run by the MPTC about 15 years ago. Candidates with a certain amount of experience, with R/I academy, and at least an associates in CJ degree, could attend an academy that was about 1/2 shorter than a regular recruit academy. The experiment was a failure. Chiefs complained that the graduates were not prepared for full time municipal policing . My PD made several hires during this period and we got some good guys under that program but that academy did not do them any favors. These guys were absolutely not trained to the level of a full time academy.

22. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

College chiefs will be against this big time. They should open one regional academy on Devens. Airfield is right there for evoc
    Too. Plenty of land for free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pahapoika, CCCSD and mpd61 like this.
  23. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

I don't worship Glidden; to be honest I could care less about him... I'll be blunt mass needs (but will never get) a COMPLETE overhaul of the police system. We have 12-15 towns in an area with little population with 12-15 chiefs making t much money with take home cars etc.... Our hiring system (civil service) is a joke... SSPO is a joke.... campus POLICE working unarmed is a joke as well.... PT officers are a great force multiplier BUT they should be held to the same standard as any other police officer. However you want to deliver that training is fine by me but EVERYONE campus, town, city, state should be trained to the same standards in my opinion.

24. visible25

visible25 Supporting Member

Same as why we have 6 different deparments on Martha's Vineyard...

During my academy we also heard the MPTC run academies will drop to a 18 week program as a trial. If all goes well, ALL academies will shift to that template. Basically shifting towards a POST statewide system

CCCSD and mpd61 like this.
  25. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Side thought: I’d argue that there’s enough FT cops in the state willing to go to the MSP. If the MSP hired only already FT cops (with FT academy’s) they could cut there initial entry training in half. Don’t worry, they can still do all the swirlys and raindeer games they want, but a 3 month transistinal training program could return 200ish new pairs of boots a pop. Or 400ish highly training, already experienced cops every 6 months.

26. mpd61

As usual, you're spot on Yimmy! You and I can teach then when you retire......................:D

pahapoika and j809 like this.
  27. CapeSpecial

CapeSpecial MassCops Member

1. Create ONE police academy program that everyone goes to (that can be at several different campuses). Everyone (public colleges, private colleges, county deputies doing anything other than corrections, town cops, city cops, transit cops, environmental cops, harbormasters, and whatever else is out there) comes out with a full time academy certification.
    2. Eliminate PT from the academy all together OR require PT standards while you're on the job. Some of the PT standards in particular academies are RIDICULOUS when the day after graduation you can go back to being a fat slob.
    3. Get rid of SSPO appointments for all public colleges and universities. Create one "Massachusetts Campus Police Department) where everyone has the same uniform, cruisers, statewide authority, etc. Keep SSPO for private schools like it's supposed to be.

I'm done.

DOT96, mpd61 and 02136colonel like this.
  28. Roy Fehler

Roy Fehler MassCops Member

One central academy wouldn’t be regional, the system in place now is regional. Not to mention Boston PD will never give up their own academy.

29. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

In other parts of the country this is called the Sheriff's Department :D:D:D

PBC FL Cop likes this.