New Mexico Deputy Hit by Car Dies | MassCops

New Mexico Deputy Hit by Car Dies

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Jan 20, 2009.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

MARIA MEDINA, MICHAEL HERZENBERG and DAVID ROMERO

MORIARTY, N.M. -- A Torrance County sheriff's deputy hit by a car during a drug investigation on Interstate 40 Monday night has died at an Albuquerque hospital.
    Investigators said that at about 6 p.m. Deputy Dominic Smith and another officer made a traffic stop that evolved into a narcotics investigation. The two officers had pulled the vehicle over on the eastbound shoulder at the I-40 interchange with State Highway 41.
    Smith was photographing the vehicle and stepped onto the Interstate when he was hit by a car attempting to enter I-40 from NM 41, according to New Mexico State Police.
    The eastbound lanes of I-40 were closed for about four hours during the investigation.
    That driver did stop, and investigators said it's too early to know if that person will face charges.
    A medical helicopter airlifted Smith to University of New Mexico Hospital, where he was reported to be in critical condition. A hospital spokesperson said early Tuesday that Smith had died.
    "A good man, very good man, very strong," Torrance County Sheriff Clarence Gibson said outside the hospital before Smith died.
    Gibson said the car hit Smith hard along a dangerous stretch of road.
    At the scene Torrance County Undersheriff Heath White said he had come from Smith's home where he had talked to his family.
    "Deputy Smith has been with Torrance County for close to six to seven years," White said. "He worked the night shift and was on the sergeants' list to become a new sergeant."
    Smith, in his 20s, is survived by his wife and children.

Story From: KRQE-TV.