Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you saw what things looked like on the inside you’d reconsider giving up your balls. It’s nothing but rot inside with morale in the toilet.

As for this kid, just another example of shitty recruiting on the part of MSP. More rot and it’s only going to get worse.
That’s part of the problem, there really is no “recruiting”. It’s a roll of the dice seeing who number xxxx is on the Civil Service exam list and hoping for the best. The MSP really needs to take a page out of the southern state agencies when it comes to recruiting. Texas DPS, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and even California CHP are light years ahead when it comes to recruiting and their way of hiring.

But that’ll never happen unfortunately, they’ll just roll out the exam again in 3.5 years and give it another go.

·
Registered
496 Posts
A 5 year Worcester police officer vet takes the MSP exam when he's at the cut off age (35) and scores a 91. Several classes are taken off that test but he receives no letter be cause of his score, for the sake of argument let's say 3 RTT classes are processed form that list. Now that officer is 36 to 38 when the next test come out but he can't take it, because of the age requirement. Instead the next class consists of 21 to 28 year old kids that just tested well. Ok, sure some have degrees and some may have experience as a seasonal cape cop. The Worcester guy is sol just be cause of his age and the fact he doesn't test well. ....is this not fucking ass backwards?
Without a question. I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, this state (in particular the MSP) will not get their staffing issues resolved using these archaic hiring methods. They have got to acknowledge the fact hiring in this social environment is not the same as it was in the 90s, 80s, 70s.. hell not even the 2000’s. Time to adapt.

I know some of the southern state agencies don’t have age requirements though, that I don’t necessarily agree with entirely. I think there should be a cap at 40-42.

But yes, incredibly ass backwards.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I wouldn’t lump Florida in there.

Florida is like Bizzaro land for police in terms of hierarchy. Compared to Mass. maybe Mass is screwed up? I dunno. Anyway, I digress…

Sheriffs run the show down there for their respective county.

FHP pays very poorly and there’s no step plan Someone told me ages ago that FHP loses several troopers a month to other agencies.

Anyway - they seem squared away but morale
Is low there too. Can’t keep guys, short staffed, low pay, etc etc.
Yeah FHP isn’t a highly desired agency from what I understand, but their hiring practices are better than the MSP.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can't speak for the other agencies you mentioned DPH, but like all agencies here in California, including mine, the CHP has an application process open to everyone, not a standard Civil Service test like is given there in Mass (which I took twice before coming out to California). In my humble opinion, the application process out here is better and more fair.

One would hope that in almost 2022, the nepotism thing would be a thing of the past back there, especially in bigger agencies like the Staties, Boston, Worcester, etc.
Nepotism is gone for the most part, the CS exam made sure of that, but it also created an entirely different problem, hiring someone based on a completely ridiculous exam.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The state should just get rid of the civil service exam. They should just be able to hire the best people for the job. They can use the test to gauge people's test taking abilities that's all its good for. In other words it sucks
All agencies, State and Municipal, should allow people to submit applications directly to the agency. Academies in plenty of other states, cities and counties in the country are done on a rolling basis.

1. Review an applicants resume that they submit. Do they have a college education? Military Experience? Prior LE experience? etc and use their professional or educational background to determine if they should be invited to test..

2. Test the applicants that meet basic requirements - Have the exam be PASS or FAIL.. not this bullshit number system.

3. If they pass the exam, invite them for an interview, medical and psych exam all in one shot. Not Dilly Dallying for 3 months between the 3 steps.

4. If they pass all that, go to the academy.

It’s really not that difficult.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I couldn't agree more. They should put you in charge of things. Glad I joined this forum where the real discussions about how to improve things are happening.
I took the exam several times, 2013, 2015 and 2017. Thankfully 2017, my third attempt, was the magic number, but it was looking grim there for a few years and I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get on.

Unfortunately nothing will change and we’re wasting time and energy even talking about it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
At least in Boston, I agree with DPH here. I know people who’ve been hired by BPD who didn’t even grow up in the city and have zero connections. And I’ve seen people with VERY big connections not get on because they weren’t cut out for the job.
Not saying that CS is perfect, but I will say that the BPD hiring process is very fair.
Can’t speak for every CS town in MA obviously. And a lot of the non-CS towns are not nearly as fair
You’ll see if you ever run into someone who was in the Cadet Program. That’s where the nepotism hiring moved to once CS came in for Boston.

·
Registered
496 Posts
F’d up situation, very sorry for the family.

It seems like out of every RTT one kid does something stupid within the first 12 months and gets canned. It happens. Personal choices, not the sin of the PD.

I love the younger troopers out of my local barracks. They always pull up and offer help. I’ve told em several times where to sit and wait and when to stop cars if they want guns, drugs etc. Nice group of guys/gals.

That being said……F the way MSP hires. If they want to recruit and retain the best this industry has to offer they are going to have to modernize. Sorry a 5 year Boston/Brockton/Springfield guy doesn’t wanna spend 6 mo with his head in a urinal for minimum wage. And let’s just call it…academy instructors are not there, usually, because they are steller cops. No, I don’t want my underwear drawer dumped by a guy whose bulk of ‘experience’ consists of CH90 on Rt2 in Sudbury.

Accept laterals, recruiting problem solved.
It’s definitely more than one.. the 85th RTT has had at least 5-6 fired already. I’m not saying I became a monk once I got on, but you’ve got to conduct yourself differently in your personal life once you’re on, especially for an agency that is as highly scrutinized as the MSP.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The BPD cadet program 😂 I have a family member who’s mommy was a long time friend of the mayor, he got into the cadet program and has now been on in Boston for a couple years. No idea who did his background investigation, but in less than 10 years how does someone go from being a pot head skinhead nazi wannabe to being on the job with Boston?
Tell me about it. I don’t want to say what neighborhood I’m from in Boston because I’d be giving myself away too much, but there’s kids I grew up with there that fit a similar profile that got on, through the cadet program. A couple of kids I know that got on did nothing but smoke pot, break into cars, jump yuppies coming off the T from work and just a bunch of other hoodlum shit... and now they’ve got a gun and a badge for BPD. Anytime I happen to see them I just shake my head in disbelief that they’ve gotten in.

So believe me, nepotism is alive and well in Boston, but it’s masqueraded as a “Cadet Program”..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts