Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,496 Posts
Can't speak for the other agencies you mentioned DPH, but like all agencies here in California, including mine, the CHP has an application process open to everyone, not a standard Civil Service test like is given there in Mass (which I took twice before coming out to California). In my humble opinion, the application process out here is better and more fair.

One would hope that in almost 2022, the nepotism thing would be a thing of the past back there, especially in bigger agencies like the Staties, Boston, Worcester, etc.

·
Subscribing Member
3,496 Posts
Nepotism is gone for the most part, the CS exam made sure of that, but it also created an entirely different problem, hiring someone based on a completely ridiculous exam.
Obviously I can't speak for now, but when I was taking the Civil Service tests back in the 80s, nepotism was still alive and well. People being passed over because they had something "wrong" in their background or their physical in order to get to the mayor's or selectman's cousin, nephew, grandson, etc.

I was told if I held signs and stuffed envelopes for the local selectman, I would have a much better chance of being hired. I said the heck with that! The closest I came was 17th on the list in my hometown (with a 99 on the test), which is why I ended up with the LAPD and I couldn't have been happier. What a difference!

·
Subscribing Member
3,496 Posts
At least in Boston, I agree with DPH here. I know people who’ve been hired by BPD who didn’t even grow up in the city and have zero connections. And I’ve seen people with VERY big connections not get on because they weren’t cut out for the job.
Not saying that CS is perfect, but I will say that the BPD hiring process is very fair.
Can’t speak for every CS town in MA obviously. And a lot of the non-CS towns are not nearly as fair
Which is why I prefaced it with, "I can't speak for now." But it was certainly like that when I was trying to get on. Plus, there have been lots of different threads here on Masscops in the past where someone would bring up that exact point. I'm glad it's better now.

·
Subscribing Member
3,496 Posts
All you people trying to blame this on the exam system need to wake up. This happened because someone got drunk and made a stupid decision, not because of how they were hired.

Police departments all over the country have scandals, regardless of their hiring practices. LAPD had the Rampart Gang Unit scandal, NYPD had the Amadou Diallo scandal, MSP had the Pike OT scandal, etc., etc., etc.

If you can’t get hired by your agency of choice, then play the game harder and smarter, don’t blame it on one idiot who got drunk and was too arrogant to do the right thing.

Sitting back and saying “See!! See!! That’s why I wasn’t hired!!!” is stupid and childish.
Agreed, a "scandal" can happen anywhere, from the smallest department to the biggest. No system is perfect, however, I still believe there's a better chance of getting qualified candidates through the basic application and complete testing process. And not just related to scandals, I'm also referring to good people who can be good officers. But that's just my opinion.

(Thankfully, the entire "Rampart Scandal" came down to only three people involved and not the multitudes Rafael Perez purported it to be. That's still 3 too many out of 10,000 but it's better than a bunch.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts