Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone having a problem with the new system getting a sticker?
I took the wifes 96 Town Car in for the inspection the first week in Oct.
when the new system started,I had used a hand scanner to check the codes for the check engine light in the middle of Sept. and it had a code for the O2 sensor which I replaced and cleared the codes,she drove it for three weeks to let the computer store enough info for the new machine to read it.
When the machine was hooked up it gave a failure to communicate message so she drove it a couple of more weeks to make sure,I took it in yesterday and the same thing happened.
One of the local PD CVI's was there and the same problem,he said that that was not the first one to have the problem.
If you hook them up to the old machine they both worked fine and passed.
It seems that the new machines are not self powered,the are powered from your car.
I went to the service center that the new company has and had it checked out, it had power to the pin that powers the inspection machine but it seems that the Town Cars, CVI's and Grand Marquis have a ground problem that is stopping them from communicating.
Now you know what the answer from the company with the machines is,
take the car to the dealer and have them check all of the grounds on the car,and this is not a guarantee that that will fix the problem.
The new machine does not give out a waiver or print out a rejection sticker when this happens.
This is more of a heads up for when you take your PC or cruiser in for inspection and when you spot an out of date sticker on the road.
The registry knows that there is a problem bit they can not do anything
the company that provides the machines is responsible to fix the problem and they are passing the buck right back to you saying it is a dealer problem. It is awful funny (NOT) that the cars work on the old machine with no problem.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been trying for years LOL.

But seriously it is not the ride, the CVI's that failed are 2 years old.
They have had some issues with other cars also usualy it is the fuse
that sends the power to pin 16 on the connector,the same fuse powers
the cig. lighter.
Another one was a brand new Nissan P/U with under 1000 miles that
everything on the P/U checked out OK at the dealers.
The Nissan can not be issued a sticker and the ownner is going to return the
P/U to Nissan.
Like I said when I talked to the RMV inspection section in Boston they
said there were problems.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Harry, our guys have been messing with the new machines for the last couple of weeks. They said there was a problem getting GM products through (some bug that was being addressed prior to roll-out). I haven't heard anything about the Fords...but the computer systems have changed dramatically...since 2003/2004. I'm DOR for two, but will ask when I go back in...

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks right now it's a catch 22 for the people getting inspected
with the inspection stations,there is no bypass procedure that they
can use to issue a sticker.
I know how to get around the ground problem but it is completly
illegal.Add a seperate ground to the pins in the plug to make them
activate the connection.but like I said messing with the OBD plug
is illegal.
The wifes car is going in to the Ford place in the AM and I have
the info from Parsons so they know what to look for.

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
Speaking of inspection stickers.......Does anyone else (other than me) have an issue with the new style of sticker? The number is smaller so it's harder to see than it already was. Also, does anyone at the registry care about the yearly color of the sticker? Who the hell picked TEAL?!? Blue was 2 years ago and it's hard to tell the difference. Then the rocket scientists choose orange two years after red. I'm sure they don't care if we can identify these the different years.

I need a hobby.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Speaking of inspection stickers.......Does anyone else (other than me) have an issue with the new style of sticker? The number is smaller so it's harder to see than it already was. Also, does anyone at the registry care about the yearly color of the sticker? Who the hell picked TEAL?!? Blue was 2 years ago and it's hard to tell the difference. Then the rocket scientists choose orange two years after red. I'm sure they don't care if we can identify these the different years.

I need a hobby.
Does the RMV care? Unless something has changed in the last thirty years, in a word, NO. The color of the stickers has been a problem since I have worked in this state. The previous, solid colored stickers were Red, Green, Blue or Yellow. The blue and green stickers were so close in tone/contrast that it was difficult to discern which color the sticker was (and I do not have color-blindness issues): the wavelengths of the colors was very close, rendering them almost identical under the right lighting conditions.

That having been said, I always thought some lemming at the RMV chose the colors because they were "pretty". I guess "Teal" is the new blue...or green...or something! As far as the small numbers go, just remember: "...Sorry, it looked like a "X" to me..." Too, remember the wavelength thing should you make a stop for the sticker color: "...Sorry, it looked 'chartreuse' to me, and they're expired..."

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$150.00 later I have a sticker on the Town Car.
Ford added a ground to the system,but for them
to do it I had to have a complete wire system check.
The car was lacking a ground for the OBD system
that was not needed in the old inspection system
because it was self powered like the hand scanners.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
Not related to the OBD issues in getting a sticker, but still an issue. Has anyone else been told you have to turn in your green plate for the newer issue red (2 plates)? My wife's green plate is in perfect condition, and had my old partner not owned the garage where I got the sticker, he wouldn't have given me one. I will have to turn in the plate by next inspection or he won't let it slide.

He says the RMV inspectors are busting balls about the green plates, if there is a reflectivity issue (I can see that, no pun intended) cracked paint or missing paint or just using those excuses to phase out any green plate holdouts. That's fine and dandy, but be up front and say we want you to have two plates.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You do not have to turn in your green plates I have one on the
Town Car.
If it is faded and unreadable you will be rejected then you have to
turn it in for new plates and go for a reinspection.

·
Super Moderator
5,852 Posts
It is as nice as the day it was issued. You can read it with no problem at 60 feet.

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
Hasn't that been the standard for a while? I still continue to see green plates where you can barely read them at 10 ft. never mind 60. They didn't get that bad overnight, so obviously they haven't cared when they get the inspections done.

I've also seen green plates where the owner painted them with regular paint so they would be readable...

·
fraggle tamer
1,887 Posts
It's interesting you posted this because I recently brought my 2003 Mercury Sable to get it's new sticker and he tried 3 times and wasn't able to get the computer to read. Told me the same thing about there being a bad ground.
I had just purchased it so I called the dealer I bought it from. He brought it to another dealer who said he didn't have any issues with it. Maybe he used an old system?
Either way I have my new sticker, but until now I thought it was the car.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's interesting you posted this because I recently brought my 2003 Mercury Sable to get it's new sticker and he tried 3 times and wasn't able to get the computer to read. Told me the same thing about there being a bad ground.
I had just purchased it so I called the dealer I bought it from. He brought it to another dealer who said he didn't have any issues with it. Maybe he used an old system?
Either way I have my new sticker, but until now I thought it was the car.
The old system can not be used to give a sticker.
Good luck a year from now.

·
fraggle tamer
1,887 Posts
Oh that's frightening.
Hopefully he fixed whatever the issue was, or just had a system without any bugs, and come a year from now there won't be any problems.
A woman can dream, right?

·
In Tactical Mode....
2,851 Posts
I found this on Northeastshooters. Just throwing this out there for anyone who has green plates.

It's true!

If you go into any registry before the close of business on Dec 31, 2008, you can exchange your Green Mass plate for the new style for FREE.

Starting Jan 1, 2009 it will cost you $65 and you WILL be rejected during your Safety Inspection.

Also, inspection stations will start citing drivers for frames that cover ANY lettering on the plate starting in 2009. You can also fail if (in their opinion) the plate can not be easily read from 60 ft away.

I have a copy of the document and verification by the VP of my club that is is 100% on the level. He walked in and exchanged plates with no hassle.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51288

·
Super Moderator
7,172 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that too much...some loser stole the plates on my mothers car and she had to get new ones and it never came up. The inspection is for the vehicle and not the plates that are on it (even though it has the plate number on it). :)

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
After you switch your plates either asked the person from the registry if you need to reinspect your vehicle or just run your own plate and check the inspection results.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.