Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[web:0bef906409]http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_Shadow,,00.html?ESRC=recruiting.nl[/web:0bef906409]

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
And while they are making their little toy's here my friend is over in the fucking desert in a goddamn Humvee without any armor at all!!! Getting attacked practically everyday! Why don't these pigfucking Scientists and engineers earn their friggin money and worry about protecting our troops now and not 10 or 20 years down the road!!! Augh this shit Irks me to no end.!!!!

Scott :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM:

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Having been down this road I will offer this...the M998 was never a replacement for any form of armored vehicle, essentially it replace the Jeep, pickup truck, mule, and gamma goat- all of which were equally as dangerous and all of which served some front line "recon" and armor support roles.
Now granted when I was in the Army they were just phasing out the m60A3D8's and everybody was getting the Abrams...and equally they needed light scout that could keep pace with the Abrams.
To that end up armoring the Humvee sort of takes away from what it was designed to do...certainly it's a bit safer but an up armored Humvee is a ton heavier, a good bit slower, can't forge as well, and has a significantly shorter range. Now I'm not saying not to up armor the things, I'm just saying that it was never in the design for them to be full urban or MOUT vehicles...these things were designed to drive around and do some scouting, act as a command vehicle, and really that's about it. The fact that they can be up armored over what they replace is a god send but again even the up armoring wasn't fully an option until the late 80's and early 90's...and wasn't really needed as the environment was different.
Lastly it was prolly these same pigfucking scientists in the mid 80's that got the current Humvee rolling over the BS jeeps we used to have.
Truth of the matter, I would rather be in a Humvee and assume it's just a car than to be in an Bradley and think I'm going to be protected. As well many of the munitions being used in Iraq are fairly "large", anti tank mines, artillery shells that are "gutted", RPG's...the armor weight the Humvee can carry really only protects against small arms, tank mise are going to fuck up the humvee no matter what.

What really is "disturbing" is that we have tons of available countermeasures to jam the cell detonated mines and IEDs, the fact that those are not fully available...that's a real shame...

And while they are making their little toy's here my friend is over in the fucking desert in a goddamn Humvee without any armor at all!!! Getting attacked practically everyday! Why don't these pigfucking Scientists and engineers earn their friggin money and worry about protecting our troops now and not 10 or 20 years down the road!!! Augh this shit Irks me to no end.!!!!

Scott :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM: :BM:

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
they better change the approach angle and ground clearence if they want it to be successeful. I bet u can't roll one down the side of a hill ass over tea kettle flip it over with 2 winches and charlie mike. Yeah that was a painful day! They better do alot of testing on that puppy!

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I think those pictures are in "condensed" mode.

they better change the approach angle and ground clearence if they want it to be successeful. I bet u can't roll one down the side of a hill ass over tea kettle flip it over with 2 winches and charlie mike. Yeah that was a painful day! They better do alot of testing on that puppy!
[web:7142944a22]http://www.army-technology.com/projects/shadow/[/web:7142944a22]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts