Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the difference between the New Hampshire Highway Patrol and the New Hampshire State Police? I have never heard of the New Hampshire Highway Patrol. Do they have the same testing process as the state police, ie. written, physical agility, interview pannel, etc.?

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
It's a good job but you are NOT a trooper, even though they think they are. My buddy is a trooper in NH and there is a lot of problems between them, as they are only DOT guys like the old RMV PD. They can pull over vehicles on the highways but are not allowed and it's only a Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM job. Ain't no trooper gig, just wannabe.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
If they are anything like vt's, which im sure they are not, they are allowed to pull over cars as it would not make sense to be working for DMV and only doing truck stuff. Yes DMV in VT they want mostly truck stuff, but they would never say you can't do PC's. Good gig if you can get it. Take home car, good salary...hell with my training i've thought about putting in for it. The pay beats the hell out of VT's crappy wages.

·
Subscribing Member
284 Posts
j809 said:
Ain't no trooper gig, just wannabe.
So us Leo's that perform DMV enforcement activity are just Wannabe's?! Don't start a pissing match, as DOT stuff is just as important as writing speeding tickets & responding to complaints. Plus they are full-police-powered officers too. Also on the trooper note, there are A LOT of officers that don't want to be troopers!

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
When they drive around in cars saying "HIGHWAY PATROL" instead of DOT, pull cars over, paint their cruisers so they look like NHSP, wear campaign hats like NHSP and tell people they are troopers, yes they are WANNABES. Read the post, I didn't say you are a wannabe if you are a commercial motor vehicle enforcement officer, I was talking about a specific agency.

The pay beats the hell out of VT's crappy wages.
I think working for Pinkerton in Massachusetts beats VT wages.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Yes, they go thru the same academy.
Let me add this Jon; the New Hampshire Standards & Training Council train all NH recruit Officers equally. From the web site; "The FT Program is 12 weeks long. Every State Trooper, Conservation Officer, Liquor Investigator, Gaming Investigator, State Corrections Officer, Probation and Parole Officer, University Police Officer, Marine Patrol Officer, Sheriff or Deputy, City or Municipal Police Officer, full or part-time, in the State of New Hampshire received their primary training and much of their in-service training through Police Standards and Training." The only distinction is the Corrections academy is 8 weeks in length.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I worked in NH for a local pd 8 years before returning to Mass. I knew alot of troopers
because I worked in a small town. Just before I transfered down here, I saw several
troopers transfer to Highway. They are NOT wannabees. Many troopers are wannabe
Highway from what I heard before I left. BTW, I also heard very differcult to get on.

·
Registered
193 Posts
NH Highway Patrol performs more than just DOT. They perform a lot of administrative functions such as inspecting State inspection stations, Auto dealers and they are the ones who determine if a dealer will get a license. They investigate title/odometer fraud as well. A few do have cushy jobs inside the registry where they just take license pictures all day but that is not the majority. They do speed traps and MV stops as well but are not usually assigned to that duty as the DMV has so many assignments for them. The reason their cars/uniforms are the similar to NHSP is because DMV and NHSP are both sections of the department of safety the state agency that oversees all police functions and designated their colors. The Dept of Safety must have wanted the public to have the same image of both enforcement branches since they made them look almost the same . So I give the both the same respect.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
As a new guy on NHSP, I am certainly not going to get in the middle of any pissing match going on here about the DMV Highway Patol and Enforcement Bureau. If you want any personal opinions, you can always PM me :twisted: . But I will try to describe them as best as I can.

The NHSP is one division under the Dept. of Safety. The Division of Motor Vehicles is another division under the Dept. of Safety, and the Highway Patrol is a bureau within the Division of Motor Vehicles. Sort of like the RMV Police here in Mass., they have split off from and merged with the State Police once or twice before. Some predict that they will be merged into the State Police again in a few years, others predict that they will continue to expand.

As far as purpose, jurisdiction, and training...their primary purpose is Commercial Motor Vehicle enforcement, safety inspections, and stuff like that. However, they do have unlimited statewide jurisdiction, so they are perfectly allowed to go out and run radar, make arrests for any violations they witness, and so forth. They just bought a brand new mobile command center, and rumor has it they are starting up a new tac team. And they are trained at the same academy as all other New Hampshire law enforcement officers.

Finally, as far as getting on there, I think it is very difficult. For one thing, I thought they were only hiring transfers and other New Hampshire certified full time police officers. So, unless you are a full time officer in New Hampshire, good luck. But I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Phuzz01 and darknight750il you both hit the nail on the head. We at the NHHP (DMV) are trained by MSP and Fed's in Commercial truck inspections. We also investigate identity, title and registration fraud. I've been with the bureau for 4 years. I had worked 6 years on the midnight shift alone in a municipal police department in the seacoast area. A friend told me about the DMV/NHHP job. I applied and went through the process. I was offered a job, Monday thru Friday with weekends off, take home cruiser, and more money. That took about 1 minute to think about. I only had to convince my wife it would be a good move. We have several NH Troopers that have lateraled over. We usually hire officers with prior training. It took me 3 months but it's worth it. If there is some tension with other agencies. I'm not aware of it. I've had several investigations that were requested by NHHP Troopers. I've had many positive contacts with other agencies. NH has hard working Troopers, good group of guys and gals. Even if they brake my chops at the range. We are still looking.

·
MassCops Member
306 Posts
Seems interesting that in New England, it is the Vehicle Enforcement agencies that tend to get "sucked up" into the State Police Departments (like MA RMV got sucked into MSP a few years back; and one of the previous posters mentioned the possibility of NHHP being merged into the NHSP) ...... whereas in California, about ten years ago, it was the California State Police that were disbanded and folded into the California Highway Patrol. Of course, the California State Police never did do anything that much resembled what East Coast law enforcement views as "State Police work" ..... and the CHP was/is still primarily only a vehicle enforcement agency, very little in the way of criminal enforcement or investigations, unless it involves vehicles.... but the CHP has expanded its missions in recent years, since the CSP/CHP merger, and now does things like executive protection, "infrastucture" protection, a little more involvement in narco stuff, K-9's, etc. I guess out west (CA, AZ, NV, etc) the folks like having their "Highway Patrols" better than having "State Police".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Let me add this Jon; the New Hampshire Standards & Training Council train all NH recruit Officers equally. From the web site; "The FT Program is 12 weeks long. Every State Trooper, Conservation Officer, Liquor Investigator, Gaming Investigator, State Corrections Officer, Probation and Parole Officer, University Police Officer, Marine Patrol Officer, Sheriff or Deputy, City or Municipal Police Officer, full or part-time, in the State of New Hampshire received their primary training and much of their in-service training through Police Standards and Training." The only distinction is the Corrections academy is 8 weeks in length.
Wow, imagine that. Everyone going to the same academy getting trained the exact same. What a crazy idea!!!! NH, ME, VT have all figured this out. Why can't Mass? Start out as a reserve and go to one academy. Then go full time, ooops theres another. Wanna be a trooper, yet one more. I think I'll transfer to Boston. Hey another academy. Does anyone else see the stupidity in this?????????:wacko:

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
New Hampshire Highway Patrol are highway pimps busting those whores who scoff the the DOT laws while raising money for the state.:wub:

If you get an academy out of it, join then transfer to another police agency!!!:handcuff:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I interviewed for a Highway Patrol job last week. It sounds like a good gig. Weekends off and OK money. I will have to go through the MSP Federal truck school in New Braintree that's all. They will accept my Academy F/T training from MA. I'm hoping.

G

·
MADANVERS or NH COP

What was the entire hiring process like? Test, physical? Polly? I can't seem to find anything about it on their website. Do they take out of State Academies? also what is starting pay?

Good luck and thanks

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.