Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FROM CHIEF801
FYI for those waiting for Boylston...I got a call from Howard Lebowitz today on behalf of Linda Kearns. The three candidates we had slated for the academy have been removed from the list. They are only taking people with F.T. appointments. No part-timers, and the jury is out whether or not part-timers will be permitted to full-time academies in the future. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I'll keep the board posted if there are any new developments.

A bit of advice for those of you trying to break in...HEAD SOUTH. Until the over-abundance of academy graduates without jobs dries up, it is highly doubtful that a non-civil service town will pick you up. As far a civil service goes, don't hold your breath, scoring a 100% doesn't even guarantee you a job.

Years ago, you needed to be hired by a department full-time to go to the F.T. academy. The MCJTC was trying to do a good thing by letting P.T. officers get sponsored to attend the academy, but I think the good gesture back-fired. Now there are tons of people out there with the academy and no job. This prohibits local chiefs from hiring who they want if they don't have the academy. Selectmen do not want to appoint someone they have to pay for six months in the academy when there are trained people available to start working tomorrow. For what its worth, don't give up. Head south while you're young and single. Get an academy and some experience, enjoy the beach for a couple of years, then head back home if MA is really where you want to be

But once again...what do I know ?

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
They were talking about doing that when I was in the academy as a p/t officer, self sponsor. I remember talking with the other self sponsors saying how lucky we were to have had the chance to do it when we did. I never thought they would do it because they may loose money, but dam i'm glad I went when I did.

·
Subscribing Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I have heard today is that a self sponsored recruit sued the Council and that left a sour taste in their mouths so they rewrote the acceptance protocol. Also I am hearing that the Sheriffs are putting together their own academy similar to the MPTC curriculum but it won't be recognized by MPTC so I don't see what they'll do with it, it would be another SSPO type academy that gets recognition outside Massachusetts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This state is messed up, when it comes to Law Enforcement (OK other things too) but it is so hard for people to get into Law Enforcement in this state, a lot harder then the other states around us. What does a guy/girl (politically correct) have to do to get the full MPOC any more? :cry:

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How true is this I heard from people that they do take self sponsors who are working for a department. But who knows anymore. If any buddy really knows please post it on here. Not I heard, I think we all need the real facts.

·
Subscribing Member
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is true,confirmed with MPTC HQ, three guys we were sending got denied,it's true.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its about time that they stopped anyone but officers who are full-time and employed by a police agency from going to the academy. Those were the rules when I went to the academy and I don't feel they ever should have been changed. I also agree with the MPTC focusing their training on municipal depts. only. Let the other specialty agencies develop curriculum designed to meet their needs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah they got denied but where they working for a police department. I heard if you are working for that police department that is sending you they will except you. Is it true or not. I keep hearing different things about this. Just need the straight facts. Will they accept you if you are working for a police department but the department cant pay for you to go and you have to pay on your own. Or do they only except people that are getting paid a salary in the academy.

·
Subscribing Member
312 Posts
radiocop";p="59878 said:
Its about time that they stopped anyone but officers who are full-time and employed by a police agency from going to the academy. Those were the rules when I went to the academy and I don't feel they ever should have been changed. I also agree with the MPTC focusing their training on municipal depts. only. Let the other specialty agencies develop curriculum designed to meet their needs
This is the biggest load of crap I have ever heard! Why would you support rules that stop officers from receiving better training? If a part time officer, Campus officer, Auxiliary officer or any other type of officer is able to go to the full academy I say they should be allowed to go. Other states allow it without problems. Look at Florida. In FL anyone can go to the academy, all you have to do is meet some basic requirements and apply at your local community college. This state is screwed up. I am going out west.

·
Registered
154 Posts
radiocop";p="59878 said:
Why? Cops are cops right? This state has the thinnest blue line....almost transparent. This state is f*cked up when it comes to getting a job on a municipality if you are not a vet or a political hack. A test every two years and a dumb residency rule. You are forced to try and get training on your own so you can try and get on a non civil circus town or leave the state.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts
It's very easy for someone to oppose letting self-sponsors into academies when they themselves have already been through it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
radiocop";p="59878 said:

·
1,334 Posts
radiocop";p="59878 said:
I have worked with some very squared away officers with a willingness to work, stay updated on laws/tactics, common sense, and guess what...only the reserve academy. On the other hand I have seen some shady ones that were hired first and then went to the full-time academy. I submit to you that what matters is how professional the officer is, not necessarily whether they have the full-time academy or not. I am sure there are a few part-time officers (past and present) on the board or former self sponsors that can relate.

If Chief's deem their officers, (part-time, college, or auxiliary), qualified enough to attend the full-time academy then they should be allowed. The MPTC is taking away the options the Chief's have running their departments, especially those towns in the Western part of the state that have a predominately higher amount of part-time officers, with some that maybe able to pay for the academy themselves with department backing.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Here is the straight scoop. The MPTC had priority levels for academy admittance, the were as follows:
1. Full-time, appointed, on the payroll
2. Full-time, appointment contingent on graduation
3. Part-time, appointed
4. All other "self-sponsored"
We had three peolpe slated for the last academy. Two weeks prior to start date, I was informed that they would not be going because 1 was an appointed part-timer and the other two were not appointed, but sponsored by me. The appointed part-timer did not make the cut due to available space, he got bumped out. The other two fall into the category that was eliminated. If you are not appointed to a department, you will not be accepted. Part-time APPOINTED officers will still be allowed on a space available basis.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
I agree with radiocop, not because I don't think people should get a shot at getting in. The problem we have in MA is civil service. Civil Service departments have to follow specific hiring guidelines. If you don't score high enough to get on their list, your academy training doesn't matter, therefore, there are tons of people with the academy that can't get hired. Some other states or departments give a test that you have to pass (70% or 80% usually). Once you pass, you are then looked at on an individual basis (training, education, etc.) This gives departments more discretion on hiring. Unless you are looking at non-civil service departments, the academy could very well be a waste of time. You may NEVER get hired.

I am all for getting everyone the best training, however, the glut of academy trained officers without jobs is honestly a nightmare for me. It keeps us from hiring, say, a person who has payed his dues as a dispatcher for five years, but doesn't have the academy. The town father's don't see why they should pay someone to go through when there are trained people out there. This has kept me from hiring several great candidates over the years. There is more to being "qualified" than passing the academy. Going through the training BEFORE being deemed employable by a department is putting the cart before the horse, and sets up false expectations for people who make the sacrifice and self-sponsor. Just read the postings on this site as an example of how frustrated people become trying to get hired. I attribute some of that frustration to the ability to self sponsor. Many think that self-sponsoring is the fast track to getting a job. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I disagree, Myself and at least 20 other cops I know have sponsored our selves and got jobs pretty fast. In my dept if the chief wanted to put people in the academy he could have and the BOS would have not said otherwise, he chooses trained people for a reason. I have worked for towns that can't put people through because its such a burden. It is hard to get hired and you need the academy as a way to get ahead, I find most chiefs want trained people especially in non-civil circus towns who don't have the civil circus guidlines. You are right the problem is civil circus, not people self sponsoring themselves. When I first got out of the academy I was applying everywhere and durning down jobs left and right because I could be picky for what I wanted, I only took the job I did because the bills had to be paid, now I have a sweet little nich on the cape that I would NOT have if I did not sponer myself way back when.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
It all comes down to what the chief's in this state want. They are the ones who have control over the MCJTC. My old chief was on the Committee. What a majority of the chiefs want they get.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.