Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NEPN - New England Police Network http://www.nepn.net

NEPN has started to come to life. NEPN has been on the back burner for some time now (a few years at least). There has been discussion in the past of modifying MassCops to include the surrounding New England states but the consensus was to leave it as is, a site dedicated to Massachusetts law enforcement. We have a good thing going here, why mess with it. (even know some other police forum sites rank on us for not verifying LEO's)

Recently there was some interest in a forum site for Connecticut law enforcement, that got me thinking again about including the rest of New England into the MassCops forum somewhere but still I was uncertain about the idea.

With the help of Kate (it's actually her site) we opened ConnCops.com aka The Connecticut Law Enforcement Network. From that the decision was made to create a portal website for the New England area with separate forums for each of the six New England states. Kate (kttref), Bobby (Koz) and Wolfman will be helping setting up and administering the new sites.

The main NEPN site has it's own forum with a broader array of discussion categories for the entire law enforcement community here in New England. Within NEPN there are links to the following law enforcement network sites: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. These site will hopefully become as popular and useful as MassCops has.

The NEPN forums went online today, Connecticut has been up for a few days and the rest should be up within a few weeks time. Each site has it's own domain and separate message board with varying categories pertinent to that state. The thought of merging the user database for all of the forums did cross my mind but seemed a little too difficult (at least for me). So yes you will have to register for the forums that you would like to post in.

I am looking for some feedback in setting up the categories for each state, if you live in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire or Rhode Island and would like to help out a bit please send me a PM.

The forums are powered by SMF (Simple Machines) software and have different features than the vB software we are using on MassCops. If the sites do well we may switch over to vB in time but for starters we will stick with the free stuff. The sites are hosted by ServerCity, these folks have been very good to us over the past year since we switched over and I highly recommend them for any of your hosting needs. SOT can also attest to their excellent customer service.

Some may think that creating NEPN is like re-inventing the wheel and is redundant to have a separate forum for each state but I figured we would give it a shot.

If anybody wants to do some search engine submissions, your assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the info if you would like to help...

-------------

URL:
http://www.masscops.com/

Title: Massachusetts Law Enforcement Network

Description:

The Massachusetts Law Enforcement Network opened in 1998 and is now a part of the New England Police Network The site is a pro-police discussion forum intended for sworn police officers and civilian law enforcement officials as well as those interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement here in Massachusetts.

The goal of The Massachusetts Law Enforcement Network is to provide an informal network of law enforcement officials here in Massachusetts for educational and informational purposes.

The forum covers many topics such as Police Related News Articles, Agency & Profession Discussions, Police Training as well as Law Enforcement Career Information.

-------------

URL:
http://www.conncops.com/

Title: Connecticut Law Enforcement Network

Description:

The Connecticut Law Enforcement Network opened in September 2005 as part of the New England Police Network and is a pro-police discussion forum intended for sworn police officers and civilian law enforcement officials as well as those interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement here in Connecticut.

The goal of The Connecticut Law Enforcement Network is to provide an informal network of law enforcement officials here in Connecticut for educational and informational purposes.

The forum covers many topics such as Police Related News Articles, Agency & Profession Discussions, Police Training as well as Law Enforcement Career Information.

-------------

URL:
http://www.nepn.net/

Title: New England Police Network

Description:

NEPN is scheduled to go live mid October 2005. Currently there are two network sites up online (Massachusetts and Connecticut). NEPN forums are now online with Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Rhode Island to follow.

NEPN consist of six individual law enforcement portals serving the public safety personnel in Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

While the main NEPN portal is geared toward the law enforcement community in the entire northeast. The individual NEPN sites focus on police related issues pertinent to their area.

NEPN intended for sworn police officers and civilian law enforcement officials as well as those interested in pursuing a career in law enforcement. Our goal is to provide an informal network of law enforcement officials here in the New England area for educational and informational purposes.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
All of the NEPN forums are now online

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
A couple things that would be "cool"
1. Global user accounts...via importing the user base into the new forums.
2. When you click on the map for the state, that state sort of "brightens" and then the others are grayed out.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SOT_II said:
A couple things that would be "cool"
1. Global user accounts...via importing the user base into the new forums.
2. When you click on the map for the state, that state sort of "brightens" and then the others are grayed out.
Each site has it's own domain and separate message board with varying categories pertinent to that state. The thought of merging the user database for all of the forums did cross my mind but seemed a little too difficult (at least for me). So yes you will have to register for the forums that you would like to post in.

I will work on the map idea

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed the map issue, now the state that you are viewing will be a blue highlight. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Damn you are good!
After fixing my forum, I figured ANYTHING would be easy for ya!

Gil said:
Fixed the map issue, now the state that you are viewing will be a blue highlight. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Looking good Gil, but you already knew that ;) Sorry I won't be around much for the next couple of months.

But in line with what Gil said, if there is anything you want to suggest/comment on feel free to PM me as well.

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
i have a question

i posted some articles in the general discussion but when u look at the board
u can see some of them in completly different threads and sections!

how did they get there? lol wasnt me honest:ermm:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i dunno what are they? links?

·
Alien Member
17,557 Posts
no not links its just if u view the board it shows messeges i posted
in one section on another one

unless i need glasses now:unsure: lol

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
Doesn't look like the other forums from the other states are very active. Maybe combining all of them isn't such a bad idea. Then you could have sub-forums for each NE state as far as hot topics, news feeds and the like. Focus on one site and make it the best.

Masscops moves somewhat at a slow pace. Check back once a day and there's not much activity. The more NE members the better. Put them together and see what happens.

Officer.com has way too many wannabees, whackers and "my friend got arrested" threads.

Realpolice.net moves way too slow in the verified sections.

Masscops has people from all around NE who have worked and trained together, and contains a group of people who generally have the same views, experiences and similar department structures. My personal favorite, but I would like to see more activity.

:2c:

G

·
I agree with SinePari, combine them.

My brother is a cop in Maine, but he told me he would feel strange posting to the Maine section, since there is almost no activity there. He also said he would feel like an outsider posting to MassCops, even though he is from Massachusetts originally, since he's not currently a "MassCop" (his words).

I think a New England regional group would be much better, and more active.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually plans are in the works to do this within the next few weeks. I don't have all of the details worked out just yet, but big changes are on the horizon. I am working with a few web developers on a new site design.

Basically the MassCops board will become the main NEPN board with new forums added for the surrounding states. The main site will be more law enforcement content related, articles, columns and news. Both the site and the message board will be integrated.

Still working on all of the specifics but changes are well into the planning stages.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts