New Ellenton Police Chief dies in accident | MassCops

New Ellenton Police Chief dies in accident

Discussion in 'Line of Duty Death News' started by kwflatbed, Jan 29, 2009.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

NEW ELLENTON S.C.-- Chief Johnnie Hamilton, 55 years old of the New Ellenton police department, was pronounced dead at the scene of a two vehicle collision in the city of Perry, South Carolina.
    Chief Hamilton was traveling north on Poole Road in the town of Perry, when he failed to yield the right of way at the intersection of Walker Road and Poole Road at 3:15 PM. Chief Hamilton was traveling to the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia, SC on business. A passenger, Maria Kenedy in Chief Hamilton's 2008 Crown Victoria police car was transported to Palmetto Richland Memorial hospital in Columbia, SC, with serious but non-life threatening injuries.
    New Ellenton's City Hall flag is now at half staff. Cars fill the parking lot and a community remembers one of it's leaders.
    "It stunned me. I just, i just, it still hasn't hit me," said Lt. William Cook of the New Ellenton Police Department.
    Lieutenant Cook says he talked to Chief Hamilton just hours before he died and still can't come to terms with it all.
    "I just talked to him probably about 12 o'clock today about a case, just talking to him. Then the next thing I hear, he's involved in this accident and it shocked me," said Lt. Cook.
    A shock shared by other city leaders.
    "We lost a good person. What Michael Frank was to the Aiken County Sheriff's Office, Chief Hamilton was to the New Ellenton Police Department," said Donald Perry, Director of New Ellenton Parks and Recreation.
    Mayor Vernon Dunbar says, "Times like these, we just really have to pull together to get through it."
    Mayor Dunbar says even though Johnny Hamilton has been chief for less than three years, his death is still devastating to the whole town.
    "There's no, no words to describe the feelings especially to the family, fellow citizens, employees and his officers. We're all going to miss him," said Mayor Dunbar.
    A loss that leaves a big hole in this small town.
    "Him not being here. You could come here and he'd be here anytime you need him, at anytime, day or night. It's gonna be hard to replace him," said Lt. Cook.
    The Aiken County Coroner says Chief Hamilton was not wearing a seat belt at the time of the crash and that a toxicology report is pending.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/38572482.html

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

South Carolina Police Chief Dies in Wreck

[​IMG]

New Ellenton Police Department

Chief Johnny Hamilton

MICHELLE GUFFEY
    The Augusta Chronicle (Georgia)

AIKEN, S.C. -- New Ellenton's chief of police was killed Wednesday afternoon in a two-vehicle wreck - the first traffic fatality of the year for Aiken County.
    Chief Johnny Hamilton, 55, was pronounced dead at the scene of a collision that occurred at 3:15 p.m. on Walker Street at the intersection of Poole Road in Perry, S.C., just as a rain storm swept through.
    The South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating.
    According to Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton, Chief Hamilton was traveling north on Poole Road headed to the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy in Columbia on business when he failed to yield the right of way at the intersection with Walker Road. The chief's vehicle was struck by a 1994 Dodge truck driven by Donnie Black, of Springfield, S.C., who was transported to Palmetto Richland Memorial hospital in Columbia, Mr. Carlton stated. A passenger in Chief Hamilton's 2008 Crown Victoria police car, Maria Kenedy, was taken to the same hospital with serious but not life-threatening injuries.
    Chief Hamilton was not wearing a seat belt, Mr. Carlton stated.
    "It's a tragic loss," New Ellenton Mayor Vernon Dunbar said. "We're all going to miss him."

Story From: The Augusta Chronicle