Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DETROIT --
Incoming Mayor Kenneth Cockrel Jr. has officially named Detroit James Barren, 57, as the new Detroit police chief.
In his 31 years as a police officer, Barren has won awards ranging from the Medal of Valor to several life-saving awards. He has a number of graduate degrees and has most recently worked for General Motors and the Veterans Administration.
His goal is to make community policing a top priority. He said he believes police should know the citizens they protect and feels citizens should know that their police officers will be there for them and put their lives on the line to protect Detroit families.
"I look forward to this opportunity. I know we face many challenges, but I am positive we can restore the faith of the department," said Barren.
Barren added he is ready to hit the streets tonight. "I want to bring morale and credibility back to the police department," Barren said. "I want to work as one team and make our streets safer."
Barren was appointed deputy chief in 2003. He retired from the police department in 2004.
Barren will replace Ella Bully-Cummings who resigned earlier this month.
This is the second key position Cockrel has filled.
On Wednesday, he named Saul Green as his deputy mayor.
"The most important job of this administration will be to restore faith in city government," said Green.
Green is a former United States Attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan and held the position from 1994 to 2001. He most currently was part of the law firm of Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone and teaches law at the University of Michigan Law School.
Cockrel was officially sworn in as mayor on Wednesday.
There will be a public ceremony Friday at 9:30 a.m.

Story From: clickondetroit.com

1 - 1 of 1 Posts