Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so it seems Plymouth County Jail now has a central lockup for the surrounding PD's

any comments from the peanut gallery ? :cool:

just curios what the boys on the street feel about it ?

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
How do we get Middlesex on board to do the same? The standard answer I got from them (with a tone like they can't get off the phone quick enough) was, "sorry, were over max capacity and can't take anymore." Yeah, no shit. Find me a jail that isn't over max. I've spoken to other jails that have a higher % over max and the answer from them....."We're full but there's always room at the inn." Middlesex is giving the rest of you boys and girls (you know who you are) a bad rap.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Re: new central lookup

Cool. I didn't know that. It would be great if they did pick-ups from the PD's.
PCSD has had a safekeep program for many years. With that said, it's not a central booking type facility that you see in many other states. You still transport to your station, book the prisoner, call the bail commisioner, and they get bailed from your station.

In the event the prisoner can't make bail, or is not bailable (default warrants, etc.), then PCSD will hold your prisoner as a safekeep until court or they make bail. Only recently did PCSD start taking pretty much any arrestee. Prior to these new rules they would NOT take drunks, Q5's, anyone with illness or injury, or anyone else they didnt feel like babysitting. They also recently started using the "fun bus" to make prisoner pick-ups at the PD's most nights.

This service is great for the smaller departments who can't easily take an officer off the road to transport to the HOC. Now we just have to hope the service wont be cut as with everything else in the budgets.

·
Registered
89 Posts
They had the money to do it in Essex county on the Grounds of the Jail in Middleton but the town said no. Lawrence wanted it but the location wasn't central enough.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
so it seems Plymouth County Jail now has a central lockup for the surrounding PD's

The peanut gallery has one simple question. If the prisoner gets dropped off at 10pm and at 4am he has a case of the serious cramps and has to go to the hospital, who is responsible for him?

G

·
They had the money to do it in Essex county on the Grounds of the Jail in Middleton but the town said no. Lawrence wanted it but the location wasn't central enough.
Lawrence is only a 15 minute ride from the Middleton jal at night and it is right off of 495.

·
Subscribing Member
6,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The peanut gallery has one simple question. If the prisoner gets dropped off at 10pm and at 4am he has a case of the serious cramps and has to go to the hospital, who is responsible for him?

well i guess the details are drying up because that's were the part-time deputies come in.

so if a prisoner comes in shot , stabbed , run over , etc and transported to the hospital the Sheriff's Department will relieve the PD.

as mentioned problem prisoners were turned away in the past , but believe there is federal funding now and the jail will take all and any "safe keeps".

personally think it's a great system and hope the other jails follow suit.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts

well i guess the details are drying up because that's were the part-time deputies come in.

so if a prisoner comes in shot , stabbed , run over , etc and transported to the hospital the Sheriff's Department will relieve the PD.

as mentioned problem prisoners were turned away in the past , but believe there is federal funding now and the jail will take all and any "safe keeps".

personally think it's a great system and hope the other jails follow suit.
What a difference a County makes...

·
Registered
400 Posts

Now if we could only get The Worcester County Sheriff to do the same.

·
sleepy and on a no dunkins diet
109 Posts
Sherriffs are trying to make themselves more useful and hoping to get Chap. 90 powers so they can get more revenue. (IE: look at all we do in LE now, give us Chap 90.) Soon you are going to see more southern style of Sheriff depts, handling everything in the County.
Its nice to see them taking in all the POS that they use to say no to, but everything has a price.
We also loose out on the occasional OT shift to babysit at the ER, so 2 dep's get OT instead. But I dont seeing that last long with everyone's buget going down the tubes, Ply County is working hard at this, but money will dry up fast

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Sherriffs are trying to make themselves more useful and hoping to get Chap. 90 powers so they can get more revenue. (IE: look at all we do in LE now, give us Chap 90.) Soon you are going to see more southern style of Sheriff depts, handling everything in the County.
Its nice to see them taking in all the POS that they use to say no to, but everything has a price.
We also loose out on the occasional OT shift to babysit at the ER, so 2 dep's get OT instead. But I dont seeing that last long with everyone's buget going down the tubes, Ply County is working hard at this, but money will dry up fast
No theyre not. PCSD is providing a service that the jails should all be providing, prisoner detention facilities. We (the police) complain when they Sheriffs try to conduct law enforcement operations, and now we (you) are complaining when they are doing their jobs and taking our prisoners?

Yes, the fact that they are taking all arrestees now is likely a move to make themselves more useful, and it makes sense. As for losing out on the OT babysitting prisoners at the hospital, thats on your department administration. Unless you request that the sheriff's take your prisoner as a safekeep at the hospital, the OT is all yours. They don't patrol the hospital looking for arrestee's to steal from us.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's a bad idea. Never give up your facilities or outsource your work. Don't give them a reason to replace your barracks/station with a centralized facility. I can understand a weekend safe keep. Ship them to the jail but for routine arrests where the suspect is going to be bailed on personal, you should bring them to your own barracks/station and book them. They're yours. It's your job.

With that said, if the Sheriff's are going to do safe keeps, they should come pick up the prisoners and transport them to the jail. I don't understand why the Sheriff's can't do this but miraculously find the bodies to fill task forces, provide K-9 services, serve warrants, operate a boat on the Charles River!, and drive around certain cities in 'state-of-the-art' cruisers with plate readers while there are troopers and officers out there patrolling in s^%t boxes because they don't have any money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Don't forget they provide funding in Essex County so inmates can attend an in house 1000 hr Barber training course. Front page of the Salem evening news a few days ago. Gee I wonder how many kids graduating High School this year will be denied student loans. but a guy who in jail for assault and battery (this time) Can become a licensed Barber at the expense of you and me. That course cost thousands on the outside and since when did the need for Barbers increase so much that we need to train scumags like these to become one?

of dollars

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not going to start a pissing contest here, however i am just going to state fact. Deputy Sheriffs do have Chapter 90. It was proven through case law that Deputy Sheriffs have the right under mass general laws to stop someone for a chapter 90 offense. However they may only issue citations if they have been issued a citation book from someone (ie the local pd chief in that area, which we know isnt going to happen anytime soon). but that doesnt mean they cant stop someone. For instance if they are so allowed by their department to do so they can stop someone for suspicion of driving under the influence and can make the arrest because it was determined that driving under the influence amounts to a "breach of the peace". And in massachusetts for a deputy to make a warrantless arresst the offense must amount to a breach of the peace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well since you wanted to start then i have to respond. Nowhere once in that post did i say that any deputy sheriff was out there doing chapter 90. I was simply stating a fact that deputy sherifffs do in fact have chapter 90. That is all. I know just as well as the next person that i will be a LONG time if EVER that sheriffs will be out patrolling the streets and enforcing chapter 90.

My question to you is if for instance if a Deptuy sheriff was on the street and happened to see someone driving erratically and possibly intoxicated should they do absolutely nothing because it not the "norm" and just let him go and possibly kill someone?? Oh no just call the local pd for help right, but by that time he has crashed into an oncoming vehicle. You right that is the smarter thing to do. God forbid a sheriff take on any similar responsibility as a police officer, how obsurd.

Why is it that everytime local police and sheriffs are brought up in the same post that it has to be a war like we are better than you type of thing? We are all law enforcement are we not?

G

·
I was simply stating a fact that deputy sherifffs do in fact have chapter 90.
So do constables and city marshals. What's the point?

My question to you is if for instance if a Deptuy sheriff was on the street and happened to see someone driving erratically and possibly intoxicated should they do absolutely nothing because it not the "norm" and just let him go and possibly kill someone??
Call the local or state police and ask what to do.

Oh no just call the local pd for help right, but by that time he has crashed into an oncoming vehicle. You right that is the smarter thing to do. God forbid a sheriff take on any similar responsibility as a police officer, how obsurd.
If I was ever sent to an incident where a deputy made a stop without checking with us first, I'd merely act as an amused observer. You stopped him, you own him. Now what?

Why is it that everytime local police and sheriffs are brought up in the same post that it has to be a war like we are better than you type of thing? We are all law enforcement are we not?
Why do some people not understand their role in the system and stick to it? I have the same power and authority to enforce shellfish laws as the environmental police, but if I ever get called for illegal clamming, you can bet your ass I'm getting on the horn and getting the MEP down there pronto. Just because you have the authority to do something, doesn't make it a good idea to do it.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Suffolk County Sheriff's Department
Correction Officer Training Academy Class 06-02:

jajeta1229 Do you work behind the walls ??????????

1 - 20 of 116 Posts