Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read a magazine article detailing a new gun and cartridge being offered by the Glock company. The pistol is nothing special; the Glock 37, its pretty much the same dimensions as a Glock 22, with a larger barrel and some new internal parts. The cartridge is the real news, a .45 inch round, similiar to the .45 ACP, but several thousands of inch shorter. Glock petitioned ammo companies with the specs they wanted, a round that is ballistically identitical to the .45 ACP, but a little shorter to fit better into their guns. The round is about the same length as the 9X19mm round, but of course with greater width. Ballistically, the round has same the FPS as comparable .45 ACP rounds.
What does all this mean? In many ways this has been tried before both sucessfully and unsucessfully. The replacement in the mid-1950's of the standard US 30-06 round with the smaller but ballistically identical 7.62X51 comes to mind. Also the debacle of the .41 "action express" or .451 Detonics also comes to mind. Could this be a vanity thing, with Glock wanting is own "signature" round like the .357 Sig and .40 S&W? One cannot discount the possibility. And with the .45 ACP being one of the most popular cartridges in the country (and a personal favorite of yours truly), and being offered in many concealable guns like Glock 30/36, Sig 245, Kimber Compact models, Para Ordinance models and many others, I think Glock has their work cut out for them. I, for one, will take a neutral "sit and wait" stance.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Killjoy,

I'll go out on a limb for ya! FUCK the new round!
:flipoff:

If it can't be done with a .45 ACP/ .40 S&W/ .357 Sig/ 10mm
then why bother? Whatever the market will bear I guess?
:?

·
Subscribing Member
453 Posts
mpd61 said:
Killjoy,

I'll go out on a limb for ya! FUCK the new round!
:flipoff:

If it can't be done with a .45 ACP/ .40 S&W/ .357 Sig/ 10mm
then why bother? Whatever the market will bear I guess?
:?
Funny I was just thinking the same thing...why re-invent the wheel... :L:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...there's one born every minute.....still when the .40 S&W came out I remember everyone calling it .40 Short and Weak!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts