New Acting Chief Of Police in Pittsfield | MassCops

New Acting Chief Of Police in Pittsfield

Discussion in 'Police Administration' started by SOT, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

I like this guy a lot, I've met him a couple times and shot with him...he's one squared away guy.

Acting police chief named
    Mayor James M. Ruberto appoints Michael J. Wynn to serve as 'captain in charge'
    By Tony Dobrowolski, Berkshire Eagle Staff
    Article Last Updated: 11/28/2007 10:59:34 AM EST

Wednesday, November 28
    PITTSFIELD — Mayor James M. Ruberto yesterday appointed acting Capt. Michael J. Wynn to run the Pittsfield Police Department until a permanent replacement is found for the outgoing police chief.

Wynn, 37, a 12-year veteran of the department, will be known as the "captain in charge." He will assume his duties Saturday, the day that Chief Anthony J. Riello officially becomes police chief in Falmouth.

"I'm excited about the opportunity," Wynn said yesterday. "I'm looking forward to working with everybody at the department."

He succeeded 40-year department veteran John T. O'Neil as the department's administrative captain in July. He is considered an "acting" captain because O'Neil's retirement is not official until next month. The City Council is expected to confirm Wynn's appointment in January.

Wynn has less experience than the department's two other captains: Patrick F. Barry, who heads the detective and narcotics units, and David Granger, who leads the patrol and traffic divisions. Barry served as captain in charge for several months in 2004 while Riello was recovering from neck surgery.

"I can't get into the whole details of the selection
    Advertisement
    process, but it wasn't a complete surprise," Wynn said. "It was more surprising to me to be considered."

Ruberto said he was impressed with Wynn's leadership abilities, professionalism and focus.

"I think he will best serve the Pittsfield Police Department in the coming months," Ruberto said. "Mike Wynn is a captain's captain."

"I'm impressed that Mike Wynn cares, truly cares, about the health and safety of his fellow police officers," he added.

Born and raised in Pittsfield, Wynn graduated from Taconic High School in 1988 and from Williams College in 1993, where he earned bachelor's degrees in English literature and American studies. He earned a master's degree in criminal justice from Anna Maria College in 2001 and has taken training courses with the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency.

He joined the Pittsfield Police Department in October 1995, was promoted to sergeant in 2001 and to lieutenant in 2005. As a lieutenant, he worked with the department's special-response team. He also has served as a patrol supervisor, as a criminal investigator, as a gang intelligence officer and as director of the community police academy.

As a member of the West Side Neighborhood Resource Center, Wynn developed and managed the community policing and organizing facility.

Married for seven years, he has two stepchildren and two step-grandchildren.

"Captain Wynn is an excellent choice," Riello said. "Actually, any of the captains would have been. The three of them make up the command staff. ... They work very well together. With Mike in charge, I think the transition will be seamless, and they'll continue to get the job done."

Ruberto has formed a committee to study whether Riello's permanent replacement should be a non-civil service appointment. The city switched the police chief's position from civil service to non-civil service in 1978, before voters approved a ballot question in 1991 that changed it back.

When asked if the committee will include an active member of the Police Department, Ruberto said: "Until I am able to sit down with the (patrolmen's union), I'm not in a position to comment."

2. SolObsession

SolObsession MassCops Member

Congrats to him. I haven't met him but have only heard good things about him from officers on his SRT team and other officers in the dept. I hope he needs some help though so that he can give me a chance to get off the Civil Service list!

3. minks8938

minks8938 MassCops Member

Very squared away guy. He was one of my head DI's at the Agawam Academy. This is a great postion for him. I wish him all the best...

4. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Had him as a staff instructor in the academy. He is s great guy. Very squared away.

5. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

SOT,
    Who did you shoot with him?
    :D
    Aaron, just so I can tell Delta, what are you doing in GA?
    :jestera:

6. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

I was in GA visiting my family for thanksgiving. Parents retired there a few years ago, and most of my sibilings followed.

7. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

You do not see too many Williams College graduates in law enforcement.

8. Vader

Vader MassCops Member

Wednesday, November 28
    PITTSFIELD — Mayor James M. Ruberto yesterday appointed acting Capt. Michael J. Wynn to run the Pittsfield Police Department until a permanent replacement is found for the outgoing police chief.

"Acting" Captain"??? Is that a misprint?

9. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

Based on a November article in the Berkshire Eagle, it do not believe it is a misprint. The Captain position he is acting in is encumbered until December. He has been selected for it but is waiting for the retirement of the person holding it.

10. Vader

Vader MassCops Member

And we all know how accurate the Eagle is. Regardless, it sounds like he's a good guy. Patrolman to Chief in 12 years...must be doing something right.

11. id1811xecj

id1811xecj New Member

and a Grandfather at 37.

Good times.

12. 209

209 MassCops Member

37 ...yikes!

13. SOT

SOT Thread Killa

Ok let us thing about this....
    if he is 37, and he got married at 19, and had a kid...then his kid in turn got married at 18 and had a kid it would make him 37 with a grandchild.
    Now a days, prolly not happening a lot...old days that was the way it went.