Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yes, actually. However, everyone in NC has the power to detain anyone for any crime (sorta our version of citizens arrest), so SHP can detain them just as any citizen can until local police arrive.

I think it’s dumb, but that’s how it works.
In Mass, a citizen’s arrest can only be for a felony in-presence, and even then, the standard of proof is “did in fact commit”, which is impossibly high.

·
Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
Some new dickhead with a big ego wanting to put his own stamp on things. At significant taxpayer expense.

·
Here comes the Wee-Woo man
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In Mass, a citizen’s arrest can only be for a felony in-presence, and even then, the standard of proof is “did in fact commit”, which is impossibly high.
is it really? Maine is probable cause to believe for classes A,B,C and murder (felonies) and being committed in presence for D, and E (Misdemeanor)

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
is it really? Maine is probable cause to believe for classes A,B,C and murder (felonies) and being committed in presence for D, and E (Misdemeanor)
i think Mass. is like that to deter people from trying to be hero’s when they have no idea what they’re doing.

·
Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
i think Mass. is like that to deter people from trying to be hero’s when they have no idea what they’re doing.
The state wants to control the monopoly on violence lest it be used back on the state.
The government can drone strike a family by accident, or shoot Vicki Weaver with no consequence. You dare defend yourself against an armed robber, you will be standing tall before the man.
Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Reactions: mpd61 and CCCSD

·
Registered
422 Posts
The state wants to control the monopoly on violence lest it be used back on the state.
The government can drone strike a family by accident, or shoot Vicki Weaver with no consequence. You dare defend yourself against an armed robber, you will be standing tall before the man.
Citizen’s arrest isn’t self-defense, Massachusetts actually does have a Castle Doctrine, hard as it is to believe.

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Citizen’s arrest isn’t self-defense, Massachusetts actually does have a Castle Doctrine, hard as it is to believe.
Now that can’t be right, I’m almost certain you have the duty to retreat in MA

·
Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
Under Dukakis if I remember correctly, but hopefully that's been addressed.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Not within your dwelling you don't.

Section 8A: Killing or injuring a person unlawfully in a dwelling; defense

Section 8A. In the prosecution of a person who is an occupant of a dwelling charged with killing or injuring one who was unlawfully in said dwelling, it shall be a defense that the occupant was in his dwelling at the time of the offense and that he acted in the reasonable belief that the person unlawfully in said dwelling was about to inflict great bodily injury or death upon said occupant or upon another person lawfully in said dwelling, and that said occupant used reasonable means to defend himself or such other person lawfully in said dwelling. There shall be no duty on said occupant to retreat from such person unlawfully in said dwelling.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,826 Posts
YEEEEEE

·
Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
Every sign, every vehicle, every patch, every badge, every single piece of stationary, every business card, etc, etc...millions of taxpayer dollars for two words that mean basically the same exact thing.

• Wow
Reactions: mpd61

·
Registered
422 Posts
Negative.

It’s not a particular strong Castle Doctrine, it applies only to the living area of your residence (garages, sheds, yards, etc., aren’t included), but it absolutely exists.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,826 Posts
Every sign, every vehicle, every patch, every badge, every single piece of stationary, every business card, etc, etc...millions of taxpayer dollars for two words that mean basically the same exact thing.

Actually it's only about $473,000 over the next two fiscal years for procurement of those items. The real waste is the tossing of the stocks of old stationary, uniform accoutrements, and re-decaling the majority of the vehicle fleet which will be another $200,000 net loss. So yeah it's definitely a waste of money.

Now I'm an old military logistics guy. Put me in charge and pay me $77,000 and I'll sell all the obselete stuff on the internet to Collectors and whackers. I can recycle and re-utilize more than you can image. I can probably recoup about $100K or more. That'll pay my salary and have enough left over to lease a couple motorcycles for years, or a tactical dune buggy. Winning!!!!

·
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Actually it's only about $473,000 over the next two fiscal years for procurement of those items. The real waste is the tossing of the stocks of old stationary, uniform accoutrements, and re-decaling the majority of the vehicle fleet which will be another $200,000 net loss. So yeah it's definitely a waste of money.

Now I'm an old military logistics guy. Put me in charge and pay me $77,000 and I'll sell all the obselete stuff on the internet to Collectors and whackers. I can recycle and re-utilize more than you can image. I can probably recoup about $100K or more. That'll pay my salary and have enough left over to lease a couple motorcycles for years, or a tactical dune buggy. Winning!!!!
They said in the article that they wouldn't be redetailing anything, just phasing them out.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,639 Posts
I've heard similar stories about the California Highway Patrol when they were off the highways out here, which isn't very often. They usually stick to the highways.

I've had similar questions when I've stopped someone on the highways. For some reason, people think the city police don't have jurisdiction on the highway, even though it traveled right through the middle of the city..... Please sign here!

It's amazing to see just how naïve the general public can be when it comes to law enforcement.
Sadly, there are those IN Law Enforcement with the same issue, but those folks are fewer and fewer each year, but they'll never REALLY be gone.

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,639 Posts

Meaning NO disrespect to the hard working women and men of the MBTA/Transit Police, but when they changed their badges and patches several years ago and went from MBTA To Transit, my first thought was, "Well, it's a good thing the system is fiscally sound enough to handle these very necessary changes because the OLD stuff just didn't work." or words to that effect. I just still don't fully get it and will gladly appreciate anyone who can say Boston style badges were far more important than fixing an Orange Line train.

• Haha
Reactions: mpd61 and Hush

·
Registered
422 Posts
Meaning NO disrespect to the hard working women and men of the MBTA/Transit Police, but when they changed their badges and patches several years ago and went from MBTA To Transit, my first thought was, "Well, it's a good thing the system is fiscally sound enough to handle these very necessary changes because the OLD stuff just didn't work." or words to that effect. I just still don't fully get it and will gladly appreciate anyone who can say Boston style badges were far more important than fixing an Orange Line train.
I’ll never understand why departments that change badges/patches don’t just do it through attrition. When LAPD changed the title of their badges from “POLICEMAN” to “POLICE OFFICER”, the people with the old title badges could keep them until they retired, and I assume most did.

Boston spent a fortune to have new “POLICE OFFICER” badges made to replace the “PATROLMAN”, I don’t understand why they didn’t just start issuing the new badges and let the old ones retire off.

·
Super Moderator
6,699 Posts
I’ll never understand why departments that change badges/patches don’t just do it through attrition. When LAPD changed the title of their badges from “POLICEMAN” to “POLICE OFFICER”, the people with the old title badges could keep them until they retired, and I assume most did.

Boston spent a fortune to have new “POLICE OFFICER” badges made to replace the “PATROLMAN”, I don’t understand why they didn’t just start issuing the new badges and let the old ones retire off.
E G O. Every "leader" without real ideas needs to find a way to put a stamp on things regardless.

Reactions: CCCSD

·
Registered
422 Posts
E G O. Every "leader" without real ideas needs to find a way to put a stamp on things regardless.
Sometimes, yes, Joe Jordan did that in the 1980’s when he had Boston go to light blue shirts, which is a radical and visible change.

The title on a badge is something that 99% of people wouldn’t notice, either way.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts