NERPI reserve start date | MassCops

NERPI reserve start date

Discussion in 'Reserve / Auxiliary' started by jdaniel1127, Jan 21, 2013.

1. jdaniel1127

jdaniel1127 MassCops Member

Hi all,

Does anyone have any information on when NERPI is going to offer a Reserve/Intermitent class for 2013? I searched on the mass.gov webpage, but the dates they're showing are from 2012.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Call MPTC during business hours. Its no longer called nerpi. Just the R.I. academy. One in Topsfield just started. M.L.E.T.A. is topsfield.

3. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

This is still the 2012 fiscal year, so don't expect anything posted until we get closer to July 1st (new fiscal year).

4. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

When the Reserve Academy was 120 hours, NERPI was running them twice a year and it ended up being 18 weeks long (mostly Saturdays and a few Tuesdays and Thursdays).

Keep in mind that since MPTC has gone to a 242-hour academy, it is likely a minimum 36 weeks long - which is 9 months. I am by no means in the know, but my assumption here is that they are probably only running the program once a year.

If the timing doesn't work and you need to start an academy sooner than next summer or fall, I would check the other academies and make some phone calls.

5. jdaniel1127

Thanks for the info. I'll contact MPTC for more specifics.

6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Where in Topsfield?

7. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Tuna and Code 3 like this.
  8. SSTRT

SSTRT MassCops Member

When I was looking at the R/I Academy Reading was once a year and it was something like 40 weeks long. I ended up going to Boylston and two weeks after I started I found out about the Topsfield Academy which is the next town over instead of over an hour drive. :oops:

It's supposed to be an accelerated program that is about 3-4 months long. One of the Sgt's at my department has a son who just started it and he's supposed to be done before May.

9. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Yeah the Topsfield one is accelerated. 40wks is crazy for a part time cert. At least NH bangs it out in 3 months, Tues thurs and all day saturdays.

10. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

No No No, I know where Topsfield is, I want to know where IN Topsfield are they holding the academy

11. niteowl1970

I shouldn't respond to posts at that time of the morning.

Tuna likes this.
  12. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Ya killing me N O1970

niteowl1970 likes this.
  13. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Last one was at Topsfield PD. I believe they are using a school now.

Tuna likes this.
  14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I do now, didn't before I saw that map. I thought it was in Berkshire County for some reason.

15. lofu

lofu Subscribing Member

We used to go to The Topsfield Fair when I was kid. That's how I knew

16. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

Hopefully Topsfield will put on a FT academy class soon.

17. Code 3

Code 3 MassCops Member

Doubt that. Reading has a full class everytime. Topsfield wont bother. They dont have the facilities to make a FT happen.

18. JSaad

JSaad MassCops Member

19. JSaad

JSaad MassCops Member

20. Hush

Hush Moderator Staff Member

Too late :mad:

21. jdaniel1127

So, I wrote a few emails and made a few phone calls. I guess both NERPI and MLETA will be offering a R/I Academy in September of this year.

Is there anyone on here who can provide some insight into either one of those academies (i.e. if one is better than the other as far as course content, etc.)? I have a buddy who's a Rerserve on the North Shore who went to MLETA and said it was good and he took alot away from the academy. However, if anyone can provide any more information on either one I would appreciate it.

Thanks

22. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

See image.

All joking aside, I had Lt. Graham from Bedford PD for my curriculum classes and he was absolutely top notch.

Attached Files:

23. boomer8024

boomer8024 New Member

I attended the MLETA academy that ended in May 2013. The program was excellent. Three nights per week from 5:45 PM to 9:00 PM (some nights until 10PM); and Saturdays from 7:45 AM to 2 PM. Program fee includes textbook, inert OC spray, shirt, and hat. The instructors were top notch. Really worth the time, effort, and fee. September program is to be held at Woburn PD HQ.

WirePro_Joe and Auxofficer like this.
  24. trooperss

trooperss MassCops Member

I had NERPI trainiing back in 1992 when it was in Tewkbury MA and only a 16 hour couse. Can I use that training towards experience for a Campus Police Dept?

25. niteowl1970

Most likely they'll want full-time SSPO academy at New Braintree. All the new hires hires I've seen at my job have been sent even though they had R/I academy.