Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that Middlesex County Sheriff is or becoming a new member of NEMLEC and other Sheriff Departments are to follow. This was probably due to SPAM stepping on municipal Chiefs and Secretary of Public Safety shoes. BEcause the SDs have alot of resources such as command centers and other items they will be utilized alot. Seems like Regionalising is still going forward very strong. Like I said before, SPAM should chose its enemies wisely and not just piss on and attack these local departments's Chiefs.

·
Subscribing Member
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can still attend Lowell and MBTA academy as well as other NON MPTC academies.

·
Registered
72 Posts
relatively new here, but why would any Sheriffs Dept be involved in non jail related incidents ??!!?? they are simply not trained to be, or hired to be police in Massachusetts. Whole different ball game. They do jails - police do 9-1-1 - No disrespect intended - many police, including me, worked in county jails or state prisons prior to becoming police officers. Many of these Deputies have little or no real experience working in correctional facilities on a full time basis - let alone functioning in an uncontrolled environment where you don't know whats coming at you next, as police officers experience every day. The SPAM vs LEC ire that some people care about could easily be remedied by including State Police from each county into regional municipal police tactical response teams - better that than have LECs allow deputies on board. Keep it non political - municipal and state police together - sharing resources and the knowledge that only those that do 9-1-1 regularly have. State Police have resources just like some sheriffs departments - the difference is that the State Police should focus more on county by county services and resources before the sheriff departments beat them to the punch and make the S P obsolete - In many cities and towns the sheriffs dept is called for a k9 because the SP does not focus enough on regionalization and seldom has one nearby, etc, etc - County Sheriff Departments are expanding direct services to municipalities. The municipal police have every right, for their safety and that of the public to form LECs. The local police do 99% of 9-1-1 calls in this state . Why should they wait for a state police stop team to be contacted and arrive when a few officers from nearby towns can rapidly respond and assist on a mutual aid basis ??!!?? The State Police are not "needed" by many eastern Massachusetts police departments. Don't get me wrong - i respect them - but they need to realize that the Sheriff Departments are their up and coming competition. Local police call who ever has what resource that they need and can provide the quickest. Ideally, that would be the State police, but they seem to be falling behind and becoming irrelevant in local policing.

·
2,297 Posts
Jasper,

the MSP doesn't have the bodies right now, not because they aren't "regionalized" but because of funding. The LEC's have been feeding on the Federal money. While the MSP is entitled to 20% of the grants, somehow (figure it out) approximately 10 or 11 million dollars that they were supposed to get never made it to them. They got $2 million or so out of 13 million they were entitled to. That is being looked into.

The MSP K-9's are broken up into Western, Central and East. There are 2 new RTT's, wilth around 150 trainees each. Within the year, the personnel problem should subside. If they get the grant money they are due, then they can start with more K-9 etc... and build services back up. They have gone 3 years without an RTT and that is why they are so shorthanded. Guys are retiring at a steady clip and not being replaced.

·
MassCops Member
39 Posts
Once again these LECS will go away eventually. The State Police have been around since the late 1800's I believe.

The grants and funding will soon dry up and we wont be chatting about this anymore. It may not be in a month, a year or more but it will end.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
Jasper, your right on one hand that there are Deputies in some counties that have no experience or the right training to be out working on the streets or responding to 911 calls.I don't know where you worked before, but it sonds like it wasn't run very efficiently.Anyway, how many full time police officers do you think each year are sworn in by the local sheriff's as Deputies?I could name quite a few.Do you think there is a reason for that?Some police think that the powers should be taken away but on the other hand others are first in line to be sworn in!You think the MSP is going to swear in every police officer as a special trooper so then can have county wide powers?I,ve been on 911 calls where it was totally appauliong watching the officers react to the situation at hand and you would never know they had any type of training.And if you mention taking a test again, tell me how many non-civil service towns there are where there are no tests ever for hirings or promotion.

·
Registered
105 Posts
K9 Sheriff.

You are right in your post. I was told by a local pd sgt that he approached the MSP and requested to have task force officers sworn in as special state police. He was denied. The county sheriff agreed to swear everyone in without any problems. This is only one example of how limiting sheriffs powers will effect local policing.

·
2,297 Posts
jo";p="54322 said:
K9 Sheriff.

You are right in your post. I was told by a local pd sgt that he approached the MSP and requested to have task force officers sworn in as special state police. He was denied. The county sheriff agreed to swear everyone in without any problems. This is only one example of how limiting sheriffs powers will effect local policing.
And why do you think they were so quick to provide these "powers"? Because they are trying to endear themselves to the locals as they try to take their jobs. How long until a ballsy Sheriff calls up the Mayor of a town in a contract dispute and offers to provide no cost policing to that town? Don't act like it will never happen.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The sheriff's empowering police with Deputy sheriff powers is by far no new phenomenon.It's been going on for decades.Why wouldn't the MSP swear in full time police officers as specials.Just curious?I can't see how it would impede or threaten their job security, unless i'm missing something.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Another thing I will add. No Mayor or selectboard will ever accept anything but their town police policing their towns. Why, ask any trooper who stops a selectmen. Do you think when a selectmen in western mass gets stopped by a RI trained police officer he gets a cite NO WAY. The Chief himself will not write a selectmen. I know most town Chiefs don't want their officers to even write towns people. If a Sheriff ( another state agency ) started patrolling the mayor/selectmen would lose control. Hell most selectmen are even sworn in as police officers out here and have never worked a day on the road. WELCOME TO SMALL TOWN POLICING.

·
Registered
105 Posts
K9 Sheriff

I do not know why they could not get sworn in as SSPO but it just was not going to happen..

·
Subscribing Member
3,273 Posts
SSPO powers do not make one a trooper, the powers are very specific in their authority, which is why SSPO powers do not afford local PO's much in the enhancement of their jurisdiction. Its doesn't offer full state wide jurisdiction as one might think.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
TOTAL and UTTER BS. In my "western mass town" the Chief doesn't do any form of enforcement at all. Our police ARE the MSP. They are doing a great job, couldn't care any less who you are and who you know.
As to selectmen being sworn police...name your town and name names ecause again I'm calling BS on that. I go to MMA meetings, know a lot of selectmen and a very small minority are police.
In the towns I can think of where the slectmen are sworn, it's because they need folks because no one will volunteer, where the department is part time (read: MSP actually do enforcement) or there was an existing relationship PRIOR to the person becoming a selectmen.

So name the towns and the people.

jo";p="54333 said:
Another thing I will add. No Mayor or selectboard will ever accept anything but their town police policing their towns. Why, ask any trooper who stops a selectmen. Do you think when a selectmen in western mass gets stopped by a RI trained police officer he gets a cite NO WAY. The Chief himself will not write a selectmen. I know most town Chiefs don't want their officers to even write towns people. If a Sheriff ( another state agency ) started patrolling the mayor/selectmen would lose control. Hell most selectmen are even sworn in as police officers out here and have never worked a day on the road. WELCOME TO SMALL TOWN POLICING.

·
Registered
97 Posts
SOT
I wont list the names on a public forum, but off the top of my head take a look at Hancock (admin only), Tyringham and Chester.

·
Registered
105 Posts
SOT

Maybe you did not understand me about the MSP part of my post. So lets clear that up first. The MSP in western mass does a great job of patrolling the small towns. They in many cases are the police for small towns. The MSP would not be intimidated when stopping a selectmen or any other person in the small town political game.

Now, selectmen in many cases are sworn in as police. No training but they have the id when they get stopped. Many even have their little MPA stickers. I know a selectmen in greenfield that has a wallet badge. It reads "greenfield police commissioner". When out of the area I'm sure that id would work well when stopped.

What I was getting at is nobody has to worry about the sheriffs office contracting to provide police services for a small town. The select-board can control their local police but would lose that control should they contract out. Pick up your local paper, every few months some select-board is trying to run out the local chief and appoint some puppet they can easily control.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
So far you have named one town, and not one name...so keep going where are the MANY times...and how is greenfield "western mass", it's east of 91....

Western MA...think west of 91...not EAST of 91.

And again I am saying that the towns that use the MSP for a police force or to augment their police force couldn't give a rats ass about "controling the cops"...because if they are using contract services already. They DO NOT have control over who the MSP would arrest. Following this out, if they contracted with the Sheriff's department, again they wouldn't have the ability to say "stop these people or don't stop these...and they again wouldn't be in the position of being "law enforcement" because they have a part time force that doesn't do "enforcement" or have wholly contracted the work out.

My town, we have 4 police officers (one of which is the chief) they do road detail, LTC/FID, and some emergecy call outs. They DO NOT do any real law enfocement, the MSP does. Town next to me, one of the selectmen is the CLEO, but not to beat tickets, but because they have no one to do the job and he has been doing the job forever, prior to being a selectmen.
I think in reality if he could just hang out and farm, that would suit him fine. Next town south...real police force, although small, no selectmen are police officers. Town nort east, large police force, selectmen and mayor have are not memebers of the force.
Town south east, medium sized town, real police force...no selecment "badges" around.

jo";p="54391 said:
SOT

Maybe you did not understand me about the MSP part of my post. So lets clear that up first. The MSP in western mass does a great job of patrolling the small towns. They in many cases are the police for small towns. The MSP would not be intimidated when stopping a selectmen or any other person in the small town political game.

Now, selectmen in many cases are sworn in as police. No training but they have the id when they get stopped. Many even have their little MPA stickers. I know a selectmen in greenfield that has a wallet badge. It reads "greenfield police commissioner". When out of the area I'm sure that id would work well when stopped.

What I was getting at is nobody has to worry about the sheriffs office contracting to provide police services for a small town. The select-board can control their local police but would lose that control should they contract out. Pick up your local paper, every few months some select-board is trying to run out the local chief and appoint some puppet they can easily control.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.