Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a portable radio for my department and I am asking your advice on what I should buy. Most of the guys on my department have the HT 1000; I have also heard that the HT 750 is also a good radio. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
228 Posts
My suggestion, stick with Motorola. We had Motorola for years, then our great leaders went with the low bidder and lots of bull and changed over to MA/COM digital radios. STAY away from those.

·
Registered
81 Posts
DArancio56";p="52990 said:
I have also heard that the HT 750 is also a good radio. Any thoughts? Thanks
Stay as far away from the HT750 and 1250 as much as you can, they don't hold up to daily use of getting bumped around, dropped, kicked, or looked at the wrong way. Moto calls their product line the "Professional" series, and is mainly intended for security, and the cable industry.

You can get the HT1000, which has 16 channels, an accessory port that can accept many toys into it, a can stand up being run over by my truck. If more than 16 channels is needed, theres the MT2000, which has 48 channels in the top display version, or somewhere around 160 in the front display limited / full keypad models. If you know how, and have access to the software, there are was to up the 160 limit to 255 modes (channels). Moto calls the JT/HT/MT/MTX/MTS line the "Jedi Series," probably becase they hold up so well.

Stay away from the GE / Ericson / Ma/Comm stuff, as they are somewhat complicated. I know Topsfield PD uses Kenwood radios, and those seem to hold up well so far.

ROBOCOP1982";p="53025 said:
They make you purchase your own radio?
I kinda wonder about that too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Foxboro, I do not work for the town. I work on an Auxiliary Unit and if you want to purchase your own radio you can....

·
Registered
81 Posts
pickels";p="53152 said:
I would highly recommend the HT1000 or MTS 2000. Both are outstanding radios and take a beating a keep on ticking.
Unless the features of the MTS2000 are absolutly needed, its a waste of money. I know most towns in MA don't have a trunked radio system (TRS), which comes standard in the MTS. Moto also sells "Flash Upgrades" adding more features to the radio, at an expensive cost sometimes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As stated previously I recommend HT1000 or MTS2000. If you have to purchase your own radio try Ebay, but remember you will have to the radio programmed. Hopefully your department won't charge you for that. You can also call ALLCOMM in Revere they are pretty good. If you purchase a radio off Ebay a place like ALLCOMM will program it for a fee.

G

·
I would definitly stick with an ht1000. I have a few myself. they are rugged radios, durable with 16channels, scan, and mdc emergency features. the ht 750,1250 and 1550 are nice radios, however are not as durable as mentioned above. Ive programmed many of those for my old department, and got complaints that they where shutting off with out the user knowing. i have heard though that the glitches have been repaired. the nice thing about 1250/1550 radios is that they have the lcd screen to display options and mdc decode. FIND out what freq. you are on. To my knowledge, ht1000 and ht750's do not do trunking, in that case you would need to go with a mtx radio or mts2000 radio. Mts / mt 2000 are nice radios and have top or front displays, as well as at least 48 channels. If cost is an issue, you could probably pick up a used gp300 for a descent price. Although no options, they too are rugged 16 channels, and do mdc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts