Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall hearing about an organization, possibly in Gardner, MA which helps officers who may need help coping with traumatic incidents. Is anyone familiar with this organization, or perhaps a similar organization?

·
Subscribing Member
771 Posts
Re: Need info

Contact your local State Police Barracks. They will hook you up with their unit or they will direct you in the right direction.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: Need info

The place you are referring to in Gardner is called 'On-site academy'. They can assist with any job-related stress issue for law enforcement officers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
One of the Troopers involved with this is Gil Berard. Awsome guy! real easy to talk with and definitely worth the time. They do have a team of officers and troopers specially trained to deal with CISD, Critical Incident Stress Debriefing. As I said, well worth the time. I have used them twice, Once after a fatal MVA where I watched a person burn to death and another time following a fatal chase. They help to keep your thoughts and emotions in tune and add a bit of therapy to the old squash.... :85565:

·
Registered
45 Posts
There should be more available resources for law enforcement officials that have gone through traumatic and stressful incidents. If not in every department, then at least every County should have some type of organization employing counselors and psychologists to work with law enforcement officials that may need some help. Too many officers are left to work out there own issues after a stressful incident such as a shooting.

This is a concern that needs to be addressed for the health and well-being of of law enforcement officials. Unfortunately, everything comes down to money and it would seem that there would not be enough funding to create such a organization. Changes need to be made for our own sake as we are working in one of the most stressful jobs that not only effect ourselves but also our family. Any other thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some possible help

You could contact the MA Army Reserve 383rd psych detachment of the 309th Field Hospital. The unit exists to deal with combat stess, PTSD issues etc etc etc...
I was a member many years ago. At the time the unit was located at the Meps building in Boston. I am sure they can help or point you in the right direction. Many of the member are psychiatrists, psych nurses, social workers and couselors in MA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts