Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been beat to death, but I need some "firepower" to back up my statement......An individual I know is an Institutional Security Officer for a college, this individual has only military experience ( MP) they seem to think they can take the brown book test so they can waiver any academy requirements, and therefore get the required SSPO to be a campus police officer......I told them it wasnt going to happen, but they are positive that they can, does anyone know the logistics of that. My believe was the feds and the military training are no good here in MA...if anyone has the answer AND a phone number so I can call and verify Id appreciate it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Certification Unit, 485 Maple Street, Danvers, MA 01923, Tel.- (978) 538-6128

MSP can grant you a waiver with College Education and Reserve Intermittent at a minimum, but it must be sponsored by a Dept. It is not something that any Joe Shmoe can just call up and get.

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats where the issue lies, the individual doesnt have a reserve academy from ANY state, but that was the number I was looking for!!!

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,657 Posts
Thats right!

1. Associates C.J. (or higher)
2. Reserve/Int. Academy (or higher)
3. 4000 hours (2 years) experience in SWORN civilian police employ

To be waiverable, you must have at least TWO (2) of the above three or forget it. Just call Capt. Lilly in Danvers if you don't believe it.
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought in the first place, but this guy and the director were battlin me telling me otherwise.... so thanks for the ammunition!!! :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
Just to add imput I had to go to the SSPO academy in beautiful New Braintree. Even thought I had the US Army Military Police School located in Alabama under my belt. I was told that the MP school was not enough.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ecpd402 said:
Just to add imput I had to go to the SSPO academy in beautiful New Braintree. Even thought I had the US Army Military Police School located in Alabama under my belt. I was told that the MP school was not enough.
This sounds more on target based on my research.

The way I see it, here is a rough breakdown of jobs in MA and what you need for them.

Municipal PD/MBTA/Environmental a few others (Full time) - MCJTC, MSP(why are you leaving MSP, idiot), SSPO (only in rare circumstances for "special" people, like a certain Littleton PO :lol: ), out of state waiver (again, this is rare)

Municipal PD (part time)/reserve/aux - Any FT academy in the state, MCJTC Basic Reserve/Int. training, some out of state waivers possible

Campus PD's (Full time) - MCJTC, MSP, SSPO, Reserve academy + degree + experience (only in certain circumstances - rare)

Campus PD's (part time) - Any in state academy, MCJTC Basic Res/Int training

Federal gov't jobs in MA - not sure, consult with them, they have different requirements (some go to FLETC)

MSP - Twenty-something weeks in New Braintree :lol: :lol: , that's the ONLY way (as far as I know)

***Those rare out of state waivers work ONLY if you received training as a POLICE OFFICER in another state and Mass like that state. Nothing in the military works (as far as I know). FLETC does not work. Other Federal stuff probably won't work. FBI Special Agent might work, not sure.

This is a pretty rough list based on what I've read and heard. It is not the be all and end all, so don't bitch at me if you know of a way around things ;-) . It is just a guideline of what has generally held true. Corrections and supporting cases are welcome.

-Eric

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had 1.5 yrs in another state and i recieved a waiver from the MCJTC. i have now passed the criminal law test- is that considered the brown book?- and firearms...all i need is my first responder updated.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Even if one gets hired and has MP academy training, and you get hired somewhere and they are going to send you to an academy, yes it sucks going through an academy, but at least its more training under your belt and its something else to put on a resume.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.