Thank you for your service, PO1 Checque.
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
He Was Highly Decorated
According to Wavy.com
, Checque received the following awards and decorations (below) over his 10-year military career. Heavy.com has (above) created a representation of the way his awards would appear on his dress uniform, using the rack-builder on medalsofamerica.com
. Each "V" device signifies an award that was given for valorous actions during combat.
• Bronze Star Medal w/Combat 'V'
• Joint Service Commendation Medal w/Combat 'V'
• Navy/Marine Corps Commendation Medal w/Combat 'V'
• Navy/Marine Corps Achievement Medal
• Combat Action Ribbon (2)
• Good Conduct Medal
• National Defense Service Medal
• Iraq Campaign Medal
• Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
• Sea Service Deployment Ribbon