Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chapter 32 of the Acts of 2004

AN ACT RELATIVE TO SUMMER SPECIAL POLICE OFFICERS IN THE TOWN OF NANTUCKET.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Notwithstanding any contrary provision of the General Laws, the board of selectmen of the town of Nantucket may appoint as a summer special police officer, for the period of May 15 through September 30 any person who is determined by the chief of police to be of good character and meets the physical qualification required of such summer special police officer position. The appointment shall not be subject to the civil service law or rules; nor shall a summer police officer so appointed be entitled to any benefits of such law or rules. A summer special police officer shall not be subject to or entitled to the benefits of any retirement or pension law, nor shall any deduction be made from that officer's compensation for any retirement or pension purpose. A summer special police officer shall be considered an employee of the town for the purposes of workers' compensation. The appointment may be terminated by the appointing authority at any time. A summer special police officer shall receive such compensation and such leave with pay as the board of selectmen shall determine. A summer special police officer shall perform limited police duties, shall not be armed nor make regular police patrols in police vehicles, and shall be primarily assigned to traffic, parking, pedestrian and beach control duties. A summer special police officer shall also perform administrative duties such as taking police reports, answering phones and responding to minor complaints.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

Approved February 20, 2004.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Interesting! None of the duties changed, but at least the useless retirement deduction will go away.

Previously, Summer Specials were officially sworn as deputy sheriffs, not police officers. I believe that was to get around the requirement for an academy.

-Mike

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
RPD931 said:
Sounds like a Boring job.
Shortsighted curmudgeon!!!!
:shock:

Nantucket PD has traditionally taken care of the best of their specials.
Some have gone on to become Nantucket Police Officers. More have received some experience and a good reference. Imagine that!
:wink:

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Why is there a special law for Nantuckett summer cops and why not others towns who have summer cops? Makes no sence why there is a specific law saying that they cant carry, tha is all up to the chief isnt it. This is the first law Ive ever seen regarding summer cops.

What experience, they dont even carry guns.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
Macop,

I wouldn't say that just because a summer special doesn't carry a gun, means that there is no experience to be offered. Look at all the campus police departments who don't carry. It would be hard to say that there is no experience value in working for one of these departments. In the end, I think that it is all in what you make of it.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
PearlOnyx said:
Macop,

I wouldn't say that just because a summer special doesn't carry a gun, means that there is no experience to be offered. Look at all the campus police departments who don't carry. It would be hard to say that there is no experience value in working for one of these departments. In the end, I think that it is all in what you make of it.
Yes, but Campus PO's do alot more than traffic, parking and crowd control, which the law specifies as the Nantucket Special's duties. The law clearly states they do not perform regular duties, which campus PO's do.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Nick,

I don't deny that its great people skills experience. I guess I'm just a little caught off by the fact that I thought they would do more, considering the volume of people in the Summer.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
RPD,

I am a little late, but I wanted to provide some insight on my comment. I mentioned the gun issue, because I think a lot of people equate being a cop to carrying a gun (I'm not saying you MaCop, so please don't take this personally). I like to dispell that thought as frequently as possible, because a gun is a tool you use to do a job, it's not the job itself.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I learned a LOT working a summer on ACK! A great opportunity for college students serious about a career in law enforcement.

The department treats you fairly and if you prove to have a head on your shoulders, you might get a few more responsibilities as the summer goes on.

And just because you do not have a gun does not mean you do not get to play with the drunken vacationers who just see your badge and "POLICE" on the back of your shirt... :?

-Mike

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Guys I am curious with these summer cops. Where the heck do these summer police live for the summer? Nantucket is not the cheapest place to stay. Curious???

·
Registered
561 Posts
The department provides housing for the summer officers in an old Coast Guard barracks, dorm-style, for $85/week.

The new full-time officers are the ones who have to struggle to find affordable housing!! :shock:

-Mike

·
Registered
131 Posts
Summer in Nantucket

I worked in nantucket for 2 summers and it was a good experience. The living area was not the best but what can you ask for for 85 bucks a week. It tought me alot and helped me to get a job... I was on night shift assigned to Bike Patrol. On the night shift we would back officers on domestics and alot of party calls. I also got into foot chases and because i was on the bike i got alot of drug violations. Is was a good job even though we did not carry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts