Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I just completed the PAT, those of us who passed were ushered to the shower rooms. Afterwards, we were taken to be fingerprinted, tested for drugs, and to complete a 600 plus question psych test. We also had to select a date in August to meet with their doctor to complete the psych eval.

Afterwards, we were given the official oral board interview. Upon successfully completing all of this, we were fitted for uniforms and given an academy booklet.

I believe everyone who's made it this far is sure to be hired, unless they fail the urin and psych test. It was evident to me they planned on hiring everyone who received the initial background investigation letter, stating they'd been cleared to proceed in the hiring process.

They were also very lenient with the PAT. If you failed one part of the PAT they would let you slide, however if you failed more than one you were sent home. There were many people who failed the run but passed the situps and pushups. Those people were allowed to continue in the hiring process.

To answer Kozmo's initial question, they weren't very strict when it came to do pushups. Every now and then they'd tell someone to keep their back straight, but they still gave them credit for those they did improperly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They should give you a six-hundred question psych test after you get out after 20 years,a-twitchin' and drooling on your shoes. Seriously it seems a lot more involved to get hired today..I guess that the Commonwealth has a lot of social scientists that need a hefty paycheck.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
It may be seem easy to get into the DOC and I agree. But, its just as easy to get fired from it too. They are firing guys over abuse of sick time like nothing, lately. Etc.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Barbardy, it's funny how you mentioned that. Some of the older guys know refer the "new jacks" as the "replacements" now!

And as far as the hiring process, according to the post's I've read, have lighten up a bit.

I had a buddy go through the hiring process a year and half ago and they had his "Thank You for Applying" letter already made up. They handed it to him when he missed one of those 3 PAT test, with no make up! He missed the sit ups by 6. I'm not going to lie, I had 2 times to pass everything.

I think the DOC is now realizing that not too many people are willing to deal with the BS for $15 bucks an hour to start (hence the "emergency test this August") so thay have lighten up a bit on the PAT.

ProudAmerican, you're in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cone, I think after 20 yrs anyone of us would be 18A'd to Bridgewater!! I know you know what I mean!!

Do you still insist on sitting with your back to the wall in the restaurants and so, so you can see everyone coming in? Do you know all of the exits? Can you still pick out an ex-con from a mile away? I'm sure you can. You don't leave it behind.

Hope your doing fine and will live forever my friend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ya know Gatekeeper,it's funny.Yes I still do watch the doors and check exits and such. It's a little easier now but when I first moved here I used to do security rounds of the property a couple of times each night and if a squirrel dropped an acorn on the roof I was out with the Colt and the Mag-Lite. Hell,I still keep my ladders locked up...old habits die hard. It's easier to get the"peek seat" now though,now that my new cohorts aren't screws. Back up North,we ALL wanted to watch the door! Stay Safe!

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
ProudAmerican";p="70174 said:
...To answer Kozmo's initial question, they weren't very strict when it came to do push-ups. Every now and then they'd tell someone to keep their back straight, but they still gave them credit for those they did improperly.
ProudAm - that's good news buddy. Not that I'm looking for a reduction in standards, but I'll take a freebie or 2...

The run and Sit-ups I'm almost there, but Push-Ups have always been a problem for me.
I haven't reached the Cooper Standard yet, but its in sight..
Hopefully I still have a few more months to continue preparing before I'd get called for the PAT...
Thanks a lot ProudAm for the excellent procedural information.
Let us know how your progressing in your "go for the gold"!!
Have a good weekend, and continued good luck to you brother!! KK

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Things have not changed a bit. When I took it we scored each other in buddy teams (sit ups-push ups). And during the run it was lenient, you called out to the grader each lap as you ran around. I had heard alot of guys had only ran 5 laps but called out 6 and got away with it. This is obviously unacceptable, but, this is how bad the DOC needs help. Its sad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone else recieved a conditional offer of employment for correction officer I. I recieved one last week but the notice said not to quite your job. I am wondering when they are going to give us the official word so I can give my current job a 2 week notice?

This is my first time visiting this website and making a post. I am impressed with all the great information it has regarding the hiring process and were everyone is at this point. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for the final decision.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
professor said:
Has anyone else recieved a conditional offer of employment for correction officer I. I recieved one last week but the notice said not to quite your job. I am wondering when they are going to give us the official word so I can give my current job a 2 week notice?

This is my first time visiting this website and making a post. I am impressed with all the great information it has regarding the hiring process and were everyone is at this point. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for the final decision.
When did you receive the letter? Have you already completed the Psych eval? It's my understanding that no one gets a conditional letter of employment until all the steps have been completed. So I assume you've already met with their psychiatrist in Worcester.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ProudAmerican said:
When did you receive the letter? Have you already completed the Psych eval? It's my understanding that no one gets a conditional letter of employment until all the steps have been completed. So I assume you've already met with their psychiatrist in Worcester.
Yes i have completed all the steps. I got the letter last thursday (August 11, 2005). It stated that if i was selected i would be in the academy that begins September 6, 2005.

·
Banned
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
professor said:
Yes i have completed all the steps. I got the letter last thursday (August 11, 2005). It stated that if i was selected i would be in the academy that begins September 6, 2005.
Congrats, I wonder why they're being so vague, you've obviously passed the background, oral, drug screen, psych eval. What can they possibly be waiting for? Oh well, good luck man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.