Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old guys walks in to the station today and shows me a $200 ticket he got for parking in HP spot. I ask him if he just forgot to put his permit up, and he says "No. I don't have one." Says that he is old and there for should be able to park there. I tell him not without a permit you can't. Why don't you go to your doctor and get a letter? He tells me that he is t Handicapped so he is too "embarrassed" to go ask for one. I tell him I have one because of my daughter and I still don't park in HP if I can help it, unless it is to park there for her needs.

Mind you, other than him being a oh 80, he walks quite well and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort.

So yeah, he should be embarrassed. He should be embarrassed for parking in HP just because its more convenient. I seriously did not feel bad for this guy.

Pay or appeal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Subscribing Member
1,198 Posts
I'll have to admit, I wrote one at a Stop And Shop HP Space. And the guy came out on Crutches , so he: stated: How about temporally Handicapped? He got me!, I voided it, and he was on his way.

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
Temporarily handicapped? Should have requested a temp placard if he qualified. I hate people who think they can park in a handicapped spot for convenience. The only thing that annoys me more than some asshole parking in the HP spot without a placard are the bigger assholes who park there with a placard that obviously doesn't belong to them. I'm not judging people who "don't look" handicapped. I'm talking about the ones that are using those big old no longer valid square placards that the registry used to issue. They haven't been in use for a decade or so, so anyone who had a valid one most likely either got a new one or is dead at this point.

So far this year, I've been backed into while waiting for an HP spot by some douche who was using it while "just dropping something off". He's lucky there was no damage to my car; although, he probably could have used a donut to sit on after I chewed him a new asshole.

Then there was this asshole (see attached pic). Not only did this prick think the HP spot was his own personal loading zone, but he didn't care to move it even after he saw me sitting there with my placard up. If I had more energy I would have told him off too, but I was really hurting that day. I took a couple of pictures hoping the RMV would actually care to do something, but apparently they only care if it's a placard violation and this guy didn't have one. If you're wondering why I didn't bother to call the police, I knew he wouldn't be there much longer and would probably be gone by the time someone was available to come out.

I have a placard and if I'm having a good day or there is another spot just as close I'll leave the HP spot for someone who needs it more than I do. I've even had officers request to see it, which isn't a problem since it's legit and sadly mine. I really appreciate it when you guys enforce HP parking. I get giddy when I see some prick with a ticket on their car and seeing them get towed is just awesome.

Attachments

·
Mr Scribbles44.blogspot.com
2,963 Posts
The only thing worse than someone not-handicapped parking in a space, is someone who's only handicap is their obesity.
They should park at the farthest end of the lot-a walk would be good for them...

Reactions: Killjoy

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
I hate that and people who think the Fire Lane is a "Convenience Lane/Loading-Unloading Zone".:mad:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The only thing worse than someone not-handicapped parking in a space, is someone who's only handicap is their obesity.
This. But what if they're big boned??
Joint Head Shoulder Arm Leg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hush

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,823 Posts
First off, I CANNOT STAND people that park in HP spaces who are NOT HP. Second, why are there so damn many HP spaces. Be honest, how often are they all taken? MOST, taken? RARE and hell, I've NEVER seen even 1/2 of them taken. Is the Commonwealth expecting a sudden rush by handicapped people to shop on the same day?

There are no excuses for parking in an HP spot if you're healthy and 'inconvenience' be damned, but do we really NEED that many of those spaces?

Side note, maybe there are far more qualified people than have permits/placards. I notice at the grocery stores that many people leave the carriages randomly around the lot, often times within 20 feet of the corral. Ok, if they can't handle THAT walk, they SHOULD have a placard or a swift kick in the ass for being such lazy shitbirds.

Reactions: Goose

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts
You'd be surprised Kilv. There are certain places, like Market Basket and CVS, where the HP spots are almost always full. They were even full at the mall a couple weeks ago. I know I could have probably driven over to the other side of the mall and found a spot, but having to walk half the length of the mall defeats the purpose of trying to park in an HP spot by the entrance nearest the store I had to go to. I know it's frustrating for people to see a bunch of empty HP spots when they're circling looking for a space, but it really sucks when you need one and they're all full. Not to sound "poor me" or mellow dramatic, but there are days where not being able to find an HP space means I go home without going into the store because walking that extra distance is too much.

I don't know what the formula is for determining how many HP spots are required, but it does seem out of whack. I don't know how they would do it, but if they could consider the makeup of the clientele in the formula it would probably work better for everyone. I can't imagine that you'd have 12 handicapped people at the gym at the same time, but I know there's more than 12 at Market Basket at any given time.

·
18,823 Posts
I definitely see your point as to always finding them full when you need one. Honestly, me personally I've never seen them full. At Home Depot, I rarely even see them used in the first place, which is NOT to say I think they should be done away with. I'm very glad they're there, but it just looks to ME, not having to use one (yet) that there is just so many empty ones.

I've never been the type that hovers over spaces or circles the lot for hours looking for a close space. If I go to the mall, I will make one quick pass and then just head for left field. The exercise does me good and I can't stand wasting time like a vulture circling a dying man. NO THANK YOU.

·
Super Moderator
7,189 Posts
My experience is people that are too lazy to walk their empty shopping carts to where they belong usually just push them into an empty parking space, not paying attention or caring that it's a handicap spot. When I used to work retail I would pull multiple carts out of them on a regular basis, usually every ten or fifteen minutes.

·
18,823 Posts
On the way into a grocery store one day with my step daughter, we passed a whole corral full of shopping carts. She was going to pick up stuff for her, I was picking stuff up for me. I grabbed a cart and asked, "Don't you need a cart?" "Oh, I can't be bothered pushing it all the way to the store." (conversation paraphrased of course) I tried for 3 seconds to reason with her and rationalize that response and felt my head was about to explode, so I gave up.

Reactions: Goose
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.