Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always been curious. Has anyone actually gone from being a municipal P/O to becoming a campus P/O for any reason? I know some people move away to become a municpal officer and then get their experience or the "spark stuff" out of their system then come back to MA for a nice cushy campus job.
If anyone has done this I'm interested in finding out, do you consider it a step back/forward?, do you find that having gotten all the traffic stops and arrests out of your system it's easier to deal with having your hands tied by the campus administration or do you find it harder to have to play by a different set of rules.
Any replies would help my paper thanks a lot!

·
Subscribing Member
1,170 Posts
Well manny I for one fit this bill, twice. I was a municipal officer in Florida for 7 years before returning to Mass and landing that coveted campus job. Yep, more $$$ and less work/stress. But after 10 years I began to think, "geez, can I be a municipal officer again?" I was in the campus system for so long I began to question my own abilities. Frustrated with the CS here (been on a town's list for 5+ years), I went back to Florida. After some refresher training, FTO, etc., I was back on the bricks again, working nights, answering call after call. After 8 months of that, plus my wife and kids' strong desire to return, we came back.

I don't think a campus job is a step backwards. I do think that a campus job for a new person in this field can/might create some problems. One may get frustrated not getting those "hot" calls, pursuits, nightly arrests, etc. Me? I could care less, but am grateful for the experience I gained from working down south.

Of course, what I don't understand is why municipal officers around here tend to look down the end of their noses at campus officers. Most do the same job, perhaps at a different pace. In the end I don't let stuffy attitudes get in my way. I go to work, do my thing, do my details, collect my nice $$$ and go home.

I have been able to provide a nice life for my family (with five kids) all on "campus" pay. I'm proud of what I have done; no shame here.

G

·
Mitpo 62,

I totally agree with you. I worked for more than 6 years at a city Department. If you read a lot of the threads about Colleges you will find that if they don’t do “police work” then that college is not good to work for. Like you, I could care less. And a good benefit, you and your family go to college for free.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started out as a municipal police officer. After about 5 years, I went to a campus in a supervisory position. A little different, but at least I got a free Master's Degree out of it.. It was a prestigious University too. One I probably couldn't get into otherwise. There were alot of municipal guys that came over to a campus job. Most of them said it was mainly the pay and the free schooling. After about 3 years there, I left to go to a federal agency, been there ever since.

·
Registered
316 Posts
=D> It's a refreshing change to hear that not all municipal police officers look down upon campus police officers... we are all doing the same job, some just at a different pace than others. I love my job at a college campus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Municipal police officer seven years, university patrol supervisor 8 years, small private college chief hopefully until retirement.

As a patrol officer I was pretty aggressive, as a sergeant a little less, as a chief ? Can someone help me find my handcuffs, I haven't seen them in a while.

Campus policing and municipal policing are different. Both are important functions, but if you are into lights and sirens and chpt 90, most campuses aren't all that.

I've never felt my hands were tied, but I also backed off on some of the more BS arrests, ie. minor in possession of a single beer. You know "people that live in glass houses" I may have had a beer or two before 21.

On the other hand, the activity is less in the summer and around the holidays so more officers have an opportunity to be with their families.

You should do what fulfills you. If it is being a municipal cop, go for it. If it is running the local diner, that's OK too. Cops get too wound up in thinking we are the only profession that counts. There are many honorable jobs out there.

Self esteem comes from within, not from what you do for a living.

·
Subscribing Member
569 Posts
Well said Rockwell, well said...

My philosophy is simple...beware of the cop whose sole source of pleasure is making arrests. Arrests are one of our functions, not our purpose.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I have though of going back to campus from municipal to get back to the Brockton area, but the colleges I would consider were not hiring at the time so I stayed municipal and ended up coming closer to brockton anyway. I will say I would most likely only go to a state institution to keep the Ch 90. I do like doing it. I do know of some officers at state community colleges that were doing more arrests and cites than I was in a town. But I like my little nich where I'm at now.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Macop";p="56684 said:
I have though of going back to campus from municipal to get back to the Brockton area, but the colleges I would consider were not hiring at the time so I stayed municipal and ended up coming closer to brockton anyway. I will say I would most likely only go to a state institution to keep the Ch 90. I do like doing it. I do know of some officers at state community colleges that were doing more arrests and cites than I was in a town. But I like my little nich where I'm at now.
Aaron,

You'll always be a "stud" no matter where you work dude!
:wink:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Rockwell one of the most well written insightful posts made. I lauged out loud in the station when I read the part about you not being able to find your handcuffs...Sounds like your a good leader

Rockwell";p="56658 said:
Municipal police officer seven years, university patrol supervisor 8 years, small private college chief hopefully until retirement.

As a patrol officer I was pretty aggressive, as a sergeant a little less, as a chief ? Can someone help me find my handcuffs, I haven't seen them in a while.

Campus policing and municipal policing are different. Both are important functions, but if you are into lights and sirens and chpt 90, most campuses aren't all that.

I've never felt my hands were tied, but I also backed off on some of the more BS arrests, ie. minor in possession of a single beer. You know "people that live in glass houses" I may have had a beer or two before 21.

On the other hand, the activity is less in the summer and around the holidays so more officers have an opportunity to be with their families.

You should do what fulfills you. If it is being a municipal cop, go for it. If it is running the local diner, that's OK too. Cops get too wound up in thinking we are the only profession that counts. There are many honorable jobs out there.

Self esteem comes from within, not from what you do for a living.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
MPD, Hey man did you have lunch with Jimmy today. The three of us gotta get together sometime and partake in the tipping of cold, frosty beverages.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,712 Posts
Macop,

Yimmy avoided me yesterday, I think he gets verrrry aroused when he's near me. I think a few cold frosties would be neat though. Let me know
when O.k.?
8)

Oh by the way, here's Yimmy playing his latest version of flight simulator in his basement. ( he's REALLY into it!)

·
MassCops Member
134 Posts
"It's a refreshing change to hear that not all municipal police officers look down upon campus police officers... we are all doing the same job, some just at a different pace than others. I love my job at a college campus."

I have worked for two campus PD's as well as a municipal PD. However, I have to disagree with the notion that we are all doing the same job. Some campuses (like MIT, Harvard, N'eastern, BU, UMASS and some of the state colleges) are comparable to working on a municipal department. But a majority of the campuses do not do "the same job". I don't look down on campus cops, because I was one at one point. However, it urks me when I hear somebody working at an unarmed private campus police department insist that they are doing the same job as a municipal police officer. The jobs and the mindset are so different. Those who work on campus PD's should be proud of the work that they do. I respect every one of them. But the constant need to be recognized as being equal to a municipal police officer get's very tiresome. I enjoyed working at a campus, and plan on returning to one after I gain enough experience and reach the level that I feel a leader of a PD should posses.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nightcoppa said: However, it urks me when I hear somebody working at an unarmed private campus police department insist that they are doing the same job as a municipal police officer. The jobs and the mindset are so different.

I agree with you, I wouldn't have made a comment that we are all doing the same job if I didn't carry a gun and work on a campus that was in the middle of a city.

·
MassCops Member
49 Posts
I have to disagree on that one. I started out municipal and then spent 5 years at a large private university in upstate NY. We did not carry firearms, and we did everything...and I mean EVERYTHING, the city cops did. On more than one occasion, when the city would respond with us to calls, or when we needed armed backup, they would ask how the hell we did the same job. It amazed them and I think they respected us for that. Now that I'm back in MA at a small private college...and we're armed...I have to wonder what the hell i was thinking responding to all those armed robbery, burg in progress, assaults in progress, vehicle stops, and even a murder...unarmed. I would never go back to not being armed, but I have to admit that I learned how to do the job by relying more on my brain and quick talking, then strutting around with a gun on my hip. That's not to say that it wasn't absolutely insane for my past employer to expect us to do the things that we did, I just value the experiences that I did get from having to do the same job under different set circumstances afforded to municipal officers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.