Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has heard anything new concerning this test and or the questions. Any information re: appealed questions? I know the results will be announced on Jan. 23rd which is ridiculous.

Another thing -- Where is John Scheft and Pat Rogers???? Nothing on their web sites and no correspondence? It can't be that they are accessible for the test prep money and nothing else - RIGHT? These guys are like used car salesmen right now - Once you buy the car - They're GONE!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Bluestar said:
Another thing -- Where is John Scheft and Pat Rogers???? Nothing on their web sites and no correspondence? It can't be that they are accessible for the test prep money and nothing else - RIGHT? These guys are like used car salesmen right now - Once you buy the car - They're GONE!
Just curious, what are you expecting from these guys?
They help you prepare for upcoming exams, sell books, study guides etc. nothing else.
Later, after the results are out, they sometimes make available a simulated copy of the last test. Until they obtain feedback from test takers that have received their marks, they don't know anything more than you do.

What more are you expecting?

·
Registered
294 Posts
You're gonna have to wait till the 23rd to know for sure. I know for a fact that someone is working on the reconstruction for John Scheft. The biggest problem has been that a lot of people who said they would send in questions haven't been doing so.

Do you remember any of the questions or answers and their corresponding numbers? If you are in such a hurry to get the reconstruction done you should send them in here:

http://www.ledimensions.com/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=4&Itemid=1

From the answer matrix we threw together (now 15 people plus the Danvers consensus) it looks like questions 10,17,18 and 29 had the biggest jumble of different answers. The law questions were horrible this year, there were only 1 or 2 law questions that everyone agreed on.

The average number of test questions where multiple answers have been accepted is about 3%. I'm guessing this test has at least 3 and possibly as many as 6 (of 100).

Bluestar said:
Wondering if anyone has heard anything new concerning this test and or the questions. Any information re: appealed questions? I know the results will be announced on Jan. 23rd which is ridiculous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bluesamurai22 said:
You're gonna have to wait till the 23rd to know for sure. I know for a fact that someone is working on the reconstruction for John Scheft. The biggest problem has been that a lot of people who said they would send in questions haven't been doing so.

Do you remember any of the questions or answers and their corresponding numbers? If you are in such a hurry to get the reconstruction done you should send them in here:

http://www.ledimensions.com/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=4&Itemid=1

From the answer matrix we threw together (now 15 people plus the Danvers consensus) it looks like questions 10,17,18 and 29 had the biggest jumble of different answers. The law questions were horrible this year, there were only 1 or 2 law questions that everyone agreed on.

The average number of test questions where multiple answers have been accepted is about 3%. I'm guessing this test has at least 3 and possibly as many as 6 (of 100).
Sorry to come down hard on Scheft and Rogers - I guess I'm just anxious to get the mark back. I just wish some informal feedback was provided on their web sites, ie: the "Forum" on Scheft's site that is not in operation and would be great during the wait! I actually did send in several questions to both sites, although I did not recall the numbers of the questions. Thanks for your help. I was going to call Civil Service tomorrow re: a possible answer re the number of appealed questions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Send me your e-mail if you are interested in our answer matrix. I think we are at the point where we can guess how well people have done.

If you are a good test taker (90's) and put in some serious time I would be very interested in what you had for answers.

Bluestar said:
Sorry to come down hard on Scheft and Rogers - I guess I'm just anxious to get the mark back. I just wish some informal feedback was provided on their web sites, ie: the "Forum" on Scheft's site that is not in operation and would be great during the wait! I actually did send in several questions to both sites, although I did not recall the numbers of the questions. Thanks for your help. I was going to call Civil Service tomorrow re: a possible answer re the number of appealed questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bluesamurai - Tried to send a message to you but you have to "clear space" in your message inbox to recieve further messages -- Bluestar

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry...

I just cleaned out my inbox and sent messages box.

Actually, if anyone else is interested please e-mail me your answers in a single column (with no numbers) like this:

A
B
C
D
etc...

You can send it to gamills-a t-burlmass.org replace the "-a t-" with an @. (I type it this way to keep spam bots from finding my address for junk-mail)

Once I get your answers I will cut and paste you into the Excel sheet and e-mail the whole mess back to you. Please tell me who you are and what kind of test history you have too. I will just put you in the sheet by your intials or only your first name.

Thanks

Bluestar said:
Bluesamurai - Tried to send a message to you but you have to "clear space" in your message inbox to recieve further messages -- Bluestar

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boston has received their marks - Municipal marks to be sent by January 4th !!

This according to the HRD received. :baby01:

·
Registered
426 Posts
I heard the scores are out online today but when I logged on with HRD it said that the scores were sent out already. My buddy who took the Sgt exam said his score was posted online but I took the LT test and mine was not. Anyone else get the same?

-Thanks

Piper

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Got mine online for the sgt's test, thanks god it was only a practice exam for me :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My mark was posted on the HRD website. Happy with mine as well !!! Now comes the gam e of tracking down the other scrores !

·
Registered
426 Posts
I checked again online this morning and still no score, only the statement that the scores were sent. I checked w/ the other 3 Sgt's on my PD who tested for Lt and theirs say the same thing. Its weird because the Ptl who took the Sgt exam on my dept got their scores online yesterday.

This couldn't suck worse.
I need to go to the thread about revamping civil service so I can vent!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I got my score finally (pretty happy with it too), but had to call them a bunch of times. Turns out they are sending cards to the four guys on my Dept who tested Lt and they will all have 0% on them as scores. New cards will be sent on monday with the correct scores.

And to think I always defended Civil Service on this site.......

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
I would think no sooner than the end of January due to the appeals.

Piper said:
Any thoughts on when we can expect a valid list passed down from HRD?
-Piper

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know when appointments can be made from the Oct. 2005 test? Does a chief have to wait until the past list has expired in March of 06 or can he/she use this list after all appeals are decided upon?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Piper said:
Any thoughts on when we can expect a valid list passed down from HRD?
-Piper
For the last test, October 2004, the list was not certified and posted until March 31.
Don't hold your breath. {Almost 6 months}.

Bluestar, the new list isn't certified until all the appeals are in. Once the new list is certified, the old list is finished. I have seen depts. make promotions just before the old list was to expire.{Depends on who's on it}.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about this question:

Can a chief appoint an "acting" Sgt. even when there is a current existing list (2004 test) and an upcoming 2006 certification in March? (The acting position given on department seniority basis.)

This being done assuming that the chief would rather use the upcoming list rather than the soon to expire list.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If there is an established list and no excusable reason to make an acting, provisional or temporary position I would say no way.

See MGL C. 31 for all of the rules on various types of promotions - http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-31-toc.htm

They can rush appointments to get to people on older lists or they can drag their feet to get to people on upcoming lists but they can't just do whatever they feel like doing.

Bluestar said:
How about this question:

Can a chief appoint an "acting" Sgt. even when there is a current existing list (2004 test) and an upcoming 2006 certification in March? (The acting position given on department seniority basis.)

This being done assuming that the chief would rather use the upcoming list rather than the soon to expire list.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts