Municipal Police Retirement (Group 4) | MassCops

Municipal Police Retirement (Group 4)

Discussion in 'Retirement & Investments' started by FedCop, Sep 27, 2006.

1. FedCop

FedCop MassCops Member

Can anyone explain with clarity how the Municipal Police Retirment (Group 4) works? For example; minimum length of service, age at retirment, and retirement percentage based on "high 3."

2. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

Must be at least 55 years old, and max is 80% of top three years for 32 years of service, OT,Details are not included, only Quinn,Diff and a few other stipends.

3. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

Middlesex Retirement system has a great web site that will answer most, if not all, of your questions about municiple retirements - length of service is just one component of retiremnt calcualtions, age also plays into this

http://www.middlesexretirement.org/

4. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

5. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

6. FedCop

FedCop MassCops Member

Thanks for all the information. It seems that the municipal retirement is better than the feds.

7. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

Retirment in this state is a joke.

8. dave2886

dave2886 New Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking about lateralling up there from NC...Is the retirement plan statewide for all municipal officers, or are there individual city retirements? Here in NC it's a state retirement system for all LEOs.

Why do you say that? Seriously, as someone who's thinking about moving back to MA, I want to hear all the pros and cons about the retirement!

Disregard my last, I found out about the retirement system....freakin' retarded, if you ask me...are they seriously saying a DA deserves to be in group 4, but a UMass-Amherst cop is in group 2? WTF?

9. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

You are right about UMASS Amherst being in group 2 is a joke. It has been close to being moved to group 4 but it always seems to fall just short. UMASS is a great job although very busy. Their drawback is no Group 4 and no Quinn Bill.

10. Macop

Macop Subscribing Member

The base salary is still very good, espcecially when you consider the cost of living is very reasonable in Western Ma, and there are tons of details and OT.