Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently a SF soldier stationed in Ft. Bragg, NC. I am very interested in a career in law enforcement after active duty. I will apologize beforehand if my questions are posted elsewhere, I am not as saavy to forums as I should be. Being out of state for this long, will that be a detriment to getting a position with the Mass State Police? How would the process go forward, my being out of state? Should I wait until I am DCed and then process? I have heard that MSP is super political in its appointments, would I have a decent shot? Is it possible, even acceptable to stay on in the NG? I know of a couple of Special Forces companies in Rhode Island and Massachusetts; is anyone in this forum in SF NG in New England? Sorry for the rants, just looking for some answers. Thanks for everything.

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
18Bravo said:
I am currently a SF soldier stationed in Ft. Bragg, NC. I am very interested in a career in law enforcement after active duty. I will apologize beforehand if my questions are posted elsewhere, I am not as saavy to forums as I should be. Being out of state for this long, will that be a detriment to getting a position with the Mass State Police? How would the process go forward, my being out of state? Should I wait until I am DCed and then process? I have heard that MSP is super political in its appointments, would I have a decent shot? Is it possible, even acceptable to stay on in the NG? I know of a couple of Special Forces companies in Rhode Island and Massachusetts; is anyone in this forum in SF NG in New England? Sorry for the rants, just looking for some answers. Thanks for everything.
18B, check your PMs.

Take the test as soon as it is announced, and you can stay in the NG if you want. The dept hires based on test scores, not "who you know". Trust me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not as political as you think. Score well, extremely well, on your test and you'll get a foot in the door. Pass the physical, the strength & agility tests, the extensive psych test, the thorough background check and pressure packed oral interview and you have a good shot. 90% of those at the academy are there on merit. There are of course those who have big dimes to get in. But they still have to survive the academy. SF you are? Get in and you'll do fine. The last class graduated two Navy SEALS. They are on the road now and are as squared away as any veteran cop I've seen. rhl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As a former soldier who just recently left Ft Bragg, I have also recently returned to MA after my ETS and I have realized that getting into a law enforcement career can be difficult if you dont do your homework prior to your return home. I missed the civil service exam which was last april and to the best of my knowledge, there wont be another one for the next two years. As for the State Police, I would either call or go online and check out their website, I know they had a test a few years back and from what I have heard, they are still hiring off that list. As for the politics, I guess that knowing someone would probably help you out, as it would anywhere. I personally chose to take a job as a campus police officer to gain law enforcement experience in the civilian sector. In the mean time, I will work afternoons and the college that I work for will put me through school for free so I can build my resume and education while I wait for the next test date. Good luck in your search

18Bravo said:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.