Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around on SPAM's site last night. I came across the photos of the SERT team.

The Massachusetts State Police was called in to assist after the tragic and cowardly attack on the United States on September 11, 2001. All members of the State Police from the uniformed Road Troopers to the State Police Detectives are working tirelessly to find those responsible and bring them to justice while ensuring the safety and security of the citizens of the Commonwealth
This discription was a little vauge to me. I am left wondering what the purpose of the SERT team is and what its purpose is? Did it exist prior to 9/11? How is staffed?

TIA

·
2,297 Posts
stm4710";p="62789 said:
This discription was a little vauge to me. I am left wondering what the purpose of the SERT team is and what its purpose is? Did it exist prior to 9/11? How is staffed?
I believe it was formed before the World Cup in Foxboro, it was called the Mobile Field Force (MFF) then. It was recently re-formed as the SERT Team. Searches, Riots, Crowd Control.

It iis staffed as most Units are, Troopers put a letter in and apply.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
It stands for Sit, Eat, Relax Team.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sit, Eat and Relax Team? Sorry Killjoy, that's already been used by the ever self-depricating team members. SERT was created in 1998 to give the MSP a unified, coordinated team to address public disorder and missing person searches. Too often those events were approached from a seat of the pants approach.
The team trained extensively in both and have been very successful in applying their specialty as evidenced by thier actions near Fenway Park last October after the Red Sox won the World Series. Also, in the woods around the towns of Warren and Palmer, SERT partnered up with their colleagues from the Environmental Police to locate the remains of Molly Bish who had been missing for three years.
The team also provides the MSP with a highly disciplined and cohesive team for any emergency. For instance, on 9/11, the team was deployed to Logan Airport for security and was there for three weeks, 19 hours a day.
SERT also provides the department with a training tool which was used to train all members of the MSP in crowd control and defensive tactics in the months leading up to the DNC. SERT also provides training and guidance to other state, municipal & college police departments who request it. Some agencies trained have been RISP and Corrections, Hadley PD, Nantucket PD, MIT PD to name a few. SERT even trained National Guard troops at Camp Edwards in crowd control for their roll in the DNC.
SERT is comprised of hand selected troopers from the barracks who are on 24/7 call out status. They are in every barracks across the state and can be at a scene literally in minutes.
They are unquestionably THE best in the Commonwealth at what they do! I've seen it time and time again. rhl

·
Super Moderator
7,136 Posts
[web:d1093968cc]http://www.mass.gov/portal/index.jsp?pageID=eopsterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Homeland+Security+%26+Emergency+Response&L2=Response&L3=Emergency+Tactical+%26+Response+Teams&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=msp_units_msp_special_emergency_response_team&csid=Eeops[/web:d1093968cc]

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Have a sense a humor; I work with a former SERT guy, and have been out on many deployments with them including the DNC and the 2003 superbowl riots.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.