Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how a person could make themselves very competitive during the hiring process of the State police. Is a certain degree(AA,BA,MA) ? Is military experience necessary? and are there any other licenses or certifications that would make one competitive? Lastly does previous police experience help alot? I heard a rumor that it is hard to be competitive during the hiring process if your not ex-military. Well anyone who has any relavent information please fell free to let it flow. Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
The MSP selection process goes by the book. You only need a high school diploma and no military experience is necessary. JSG2020 mentioned in another thread but it bears repeating, we had a Lt. Colonel's son start our academy class with us day one. He quit sometime in the first week and never became a Trooper. Don't think because of who you know you are guaranteed a spot on the MSP. It's all about what you do.

Some of the things you mention help once you get into the academy ( ie; previous academy experience and/or military experience) for you to keep things in perspective. The process itself goes thru differenct levels. Written test, PT Test, Backround, Physical Exam, Oral Interview. Some years they have had a Psychological exam as well. Once you pass each level you get forwarded to the next level. Sometimes because of time constraints they have two levels coincide. (Backround/Physical Exam) The only thing that you can directly control now if you are in the process is how well you do on the PT Exam. When they start looking at who to eliminate that is where they look first. You may pass the standard but if your score isn't in the top percent you may be looking at the next class. The only other part of the process that you control is your backround. But it's too late to change your past.

College degrees come into play after you get out of the academy toward the Quinn Bill (for now). Prior police experience helps in the academy because chances are you have already learned the Motor Vehicle Laws and Criminal Law/Procedure so you don't have to study those as much. Prior military experience helps you while you are going thru the academy to deal with the "crap" the DI's put you through. None of the above will actually put you higher on a list (veterans status will) for the MSP class. Remember, you are competing with 10's of thousands of people for about 125-150 positions in the next class.

Everything is listed on the MSP website for requirements. If you have all of the requirements, then start getting into shape. If you are already in great physical condition, keep training hard!

·
2,297 Posts
msp357 said:
JSG2020 mentioned in another thread but it bears repeating, we had a Lt. Colonel's son start our academy class with us day one. He quit sometime in the first week and never became a Trooper.
Was that Lt. Col's son Peter FLOMP????

:lol:

·
2,297 Posts
DFP2662 said:
jsg2020 said:
Was that Lt. Col's son Peter FLOMP???? :lol:
Thanks for the laugh, classmate! I had completely fogotten that guy! :lol:
My room was directly across the hall from his. At 0530 hrs on Day 2, when the DI's hit the halls, I heard them start screaming immediately with "FLOMP!!!"...At about 0532, I heard "Sir, I wish to resign, Sir!" I didn't think anyone would ever forget..."Just because your name is Flomp, you don't have to be a Flomp!"

:lol:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
As MSP357 has said, the process is fair and equitable. Nothing short of veteran's status will give you a leg up over anyone else, except a higher exam score. Many things help, but if you, for instance, got a 99% on the test, had a clean background, and a high school diploma and a driver's license, you would be in before some Navy Seal with a 80% or a PHD with a 80%. And don't think that knowing anyone will help, as already stated, there are many people with large dimes that drop out of recruit training because they couldn't take it. In my class it was some guy who's father was a major on the MSP....he didn't make it past day 5......

·
Registered
52 Posts
I heard from a trooper who said he talked to someone in recruiting that they are going to be offering the test to military personnel and an academy wont be till the end of 2004. Any truth this ?

·
MassCops Member
81 Posts
yes, they are allowing those, that were sent to the war and missed the exam, to take the exam and be part of the selection for the next academy. This is straight from a background investigator that I spoke to 4 days ago.

·
Registered
968 Posts
and if MT1 could see into the future....I would be giving him money so he can buy me some lottery tickets, rather than sitting at my computer right now too! 8)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.