Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever appealed the MSP Med. Board about not meeting the standard of uncorrected vision? Good or bad outcome??

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fubu1383 said:
Has anyone ever appealed the MSP Med. Board about not meeting the standard of uncorrected vision? Good or bad outcome??

Thanks
No info on that, but.......

Does anyone know what the minimum standard for the MSP is for uncorrected and corrected vision?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You need 20/20 uncorrected, same as fighter pilots as you will operate a bluebird sled down 95 at speeds in excess of 120 mph.:jump:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
popo said:
You need 20/20 uncorrected, same as fighter pilots as you will operate a bluebird sled down 95 at speeds in excess of 120 mph.:jump:
I just took the test and its 20/20 CORRECTED, the most 20/200 UNCORRECTED unless I misuderstood. If it was 20/20 uncorrected then that would disqualify hundreds of people...few people have perfect vision uncorrected in my opinion.

G

·
Fubu1383 said:
I just took the test and its 20/20 CORRECTED, the most 20/200 UNCORRECTED unless I misuderstood. If it was 20/20 uncorrected then that would disqualify hundreds of people...few people have perfect vision uncorrected in my opinion.
The doc told me that the MSP standard was 20/30 corrected. Actually I think the letter he gave me to bring to a REAL eye doc says 20/30 on it as well.......

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sniper said:
The doc told me that the MSP standard was 20/30 corrected. Actually I think the letter he gave me to bring to a REAL eye doc says 20/30 on it as well.......
yeah, i'm sure its 20/30 corrected, not 20/20.

Obviously they test both eyes individualy as well as together.....but the 20/30 corrected as a minimum standard for the MSP is a binocular (both eyes) test.... like the DMV does correct?

·
Registered
7 Posts
what do they give ya about 20 minutes to get dress and topside. I wear contacts, and hope I dont get a bad contact day, sometimes it takes me 5 mintues to get them freakin in..

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Fubu1383 said:
This is correct. I would not get all worked up over the eye test, unless you are legally blind or missing an eye. When it comes to the medical, blood pressure is important. Also past medical history, such as back and knee injuries, are looked at. You are also given an EKG, blood and urine screen . Borderline diabetes can be an issue. To be on the safe side, if you have any serious doubts, schedule a complete physical w/blood test with your doc. That way, if there is a serious probelm that you are unawre of, you may have time to fix it. The MSP standards are very similar to that of municipalites. The municipal standards are listed on the Mass civil service website at maasgov.com. Go to the same link that you would go to if you were checking your standings. That should give you a rough idea of what you are up against.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nirtallica said:
This is correct. I would not get all worked up over the eye test, unless you are legally blind or missing an eye. When it comes to the medical, blood pressure is important. Also past medical history, such as back and knee injuries, are looked at. You are also given an EKG, blood and urine screen . Borderline diabetes can be an issue. To be on the safe side, if you have any serious doubts, schedule a complete physical w/blood test with your doc. That way, if there is a serious probelm that you are unawre of, you may have time to fix it. The MSP standards are very similar to that of municipalites. The municipal standards are listed on the Mass civil service website at maasgov.com. Go to the same link that you would go to if you were checking your standings. That should give you a rough idea of what you are up against.
The doc said I have to have an eye test done by my eye doctor which I have tomorrow. My vision is horrible without contacts but perfect with, 20/15. I passed with flying colors all other areas of the physical. Apparently if I get bounced I can appeal and plead my case...I've been an Intermittent for 1 1/2 yrs with 2 different departments with no problems while working. Hopefully if I have to end up appealing there will be some grounds for me to move on. [-o<

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fubu1383 said:
The doc said I have to have an eye test done by my eye doctor which I have tomorrow. My vision is horrible without contacts but perfect with, 20/15. I passed with flying colors all other areas of the physical. Apparently if I get bounced I can appeal and plead my case...I've been an Intermittent for 1 1/2 yrs with 2 different departments with no problems while working. Hopefully if I have to end up appealing there will be some grounds for me to move on. [-o<
My uncorrected vision is poor in one eye, and perfect in the other. I can pass any eye test no problem without glasses with both eyes open. I'm sure they test each eye individually as well as togther.
Do you know if you fail the uncorrected standard in one eye, but pass it with both eyes open will be a problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
USB said:
what do they give ya about 20 minutes to get dress and topside. I wear contacts, and hope I dont get a bad contact day, sometimes it takes me 5 mintues to get them freakin in..
You should try the new overnight contacts. I got them to try them out when I got a letter. They are the balls. The only thing I do in the morning is add a couple drops of saline. I've
been wearing them during the week and removing them on the weekends. The only problem I forsee is the OC training. I had to take out my contacts when I got sprayed for the department I work for now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Asystole said:
My uncorrected vision is poor in one eye, and perfect in the other. I can pass any eye test no problem without glasses with both eyes open. I'm sure they test each eye individually as well as togther.
Do you know if you fail the uncorrected standard in one eye, but pass it with both eyes open will be a problem?
I was sent to have each eye tested as well as together and develop a measurement for each eye, so based on that then each eye MAY have to meet the standard for each eye but thats just a guess.

G

·
Asystole said:
I am in the same boat as you......... They test each eye independently and together. My left eye needs correction and my right eye(which I favor) is flawless. I have an exam scheduled tomorrow AM at Lenscrafters to get my letter filled out. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sniper said:
I am in the same boat as you......... They test each eye independently and together. My left eye needs correction and my right eye(which I favor) is flawless. I have an exam scheduled tomorrow AM at Lenscrafters to get my letter filled out. Good luck with yours.
I'm not as far in the process as you. My Oral Board is Thursday. What is this letter you mentioned? Did you fail the eye test as the MSP medical exam?
Also, I had a personal eye exam a year ago and they said my vision in my left eye was correctable to 20/30 and uncorrected in my right was 20/15. Would this present a problem at the MSP medical?

·
Registered
17 Posts
What type of issues would DQ one during the medical screening besides the vision and auditory tests? Cholesterol? Glucose? Weight? Blood Pressure? Previously diagnosed illneses? Obviously illegal drugs, range of motion etc would be automatics but what else?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sniper said:
FUBU, Sniper... any news?

The Civil Service vision criteria in MASS is 20/100 uncorrected in each eye. The paperwork stated 20/200 for the uncorrected for the MSP?

The Civil Service corrected standard is 20/20 in the better eye. Does this sound like what was on the paperwork for the MSP?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Asystole said:
FUBU, Sniper... any news?

The Civil Service vision criteria in MASS is 20/100 uncorrected in each eye. The paperwork stated 20/200 for the uncorrected for the MSP?

The Civil Service corrected standard is 20/20 in the better eye. Does this sound like what was on the paperwork for the MSP?
I haven't heard anything back yet. I did not receive any paperwork from MSP outlining their medical standards. This came as a surprise to me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.