Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I received a recruitment letter for the 85th RTT. I have a few questions that I’m hoping to get answered with some solutions to stream line the process. I’ll start off with tattoos, when I was younger, I had gotten two forearm tattoos that are tasteful, as far as tattoos go. I’ve seen a few troopers myself with tattoos but I don’t know the circumstances behind them.

My question is this, is it an auto DQ to have tattoos? I know departments have become lenient over the years but I don’t want to assume. If need be I’ll remove them, as I’m not looking to pass up a career on something so simple.

My other question is about vision standards. I recently took the boarder patrol vision test and passed. My vision per their results were 20/20 right 20/20 binocular and ¿20/60-100 left ? If memory serves me correctly. Is that a DQ or should I be all set?

Any other tips, advice and guidance is appreciated. I’m ready to put my nose to the grindstone and get a running start. Thank you!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hi everyone,
<snip>

My other question is about vision standards. I recently took the boarder patrol bison test and passed.
<snip> Thank you!
I know it's a cheap shot... I know I have typos, too. But, if you can only see 20 out of 60 or 100 bison with one eye, there's a problem.

Those animals are psycho.

Hopefully you will run across few bison in your Massachusetts law enforcement career.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know it's a cheap shot... I know I have typos, too. But, if you can only see 20 out of 60 or 100 bison with one eye, there's a problem.

Those animals are psycho.

Hopefully you will run across few bison in your Massachusetts law enforcement career.
It was an in-house training they offered.. I was stuck in the wilds for a while.
Not a cheap shot in the slightest, I don't mind getting my chops busted a bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi everyone,
I received a recruitment letter for the 85th RTT. I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get answered with some solutions to stream line the process. I'll start off with tattoos, when I was younger, I had gotten two forearm tattoos that are tasteful, as far as tattoos go. I've seen a few troopers myself with tattoos but I don't know the circumstances behind them.

My question is this, is it an auto DQ to have tattoos? I know departments have become lenient over the years but I don't want to assume. If need be I'll remove them, as I'm not looking to pass up a career on something so simple.

My other question is about vision standards. I recently took the boarder patrol vision test and passed. My vision per their results were 20/20 right 20/20 binocular and ¿20/60-100 left ? If memory serves me correctly. Is that a DQ or should I be all set?

Any other tips, advice and guidance is appreciated. I'm ready to put my nose to the grindstone and get a running start. Thank you!
Better start removing them now. You'll be DQ'd with what you have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Noted, I overheard they're revisiting the tattoo policy but I'll start the process. Thank you.
Same here, I'm getting them taken off as soon as possible. Obviously it means nothing about getting in, but it sure as hell will get you DQ'd before starting. I've seen a few troopers with sleeves too, they must have been in before the rule was put in place, that's my guess.

Off topic but how's your 1.5 mile time? I'm running 1 mile at a 9 minute pace. Not really going to get it done. I see a few guys in every academy though that seem to be fairly overweight and I can't figure how they could run 1.5 in under 12:30 minutes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here, I'm getting them taken off as soon as possible. Obviously it means nothing about getting in, but it sure as hell will get you DQ'd before starting. I've seen a few troopers with sleeves too, they must have been in before the rule was put in place, that's my guess.

Off topic but how's your 1.5 mile time? I'm running 1 mile at a 9 minute pace. Not really going to get it done. I see a few guys in every academy though that seem to be fairly overweight and I can't figure how they could run 1.5 in under 12:30 minutes.
I had a guy from the army telling me to run 60-120's and that's helped. I'm about the same, when I was training for the boarder patrol the best I did was 1.5 in 13 and I had a buddy pushing me hard. A lot of it's form.. doesn't matter how fast you can run if you can't do it right.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a guy from the army telling me to run 60-120's and that's helped. I'm about the same, when I was training for the boarder patrol the best I did was 1.5 in 13 and I had a buddy pushing me hard. A lot of it's form.. doesn't matter how fast you can run if you can't do it right.
True, I was watching youtube videos to see if my form was all off. They say to land like you're stepping on egg shells. I'm a very aggressive runner, so I need to learn how to land better. Shoulders down, move the arms like pistons, head up. The rest is just getting the heart and lungs accustom to what you're doing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is the 85th RTT website acting up for other people? I have tried the website and it’s hyperlinks from different computers. I get the same result:...”error” “page not found”

I can only read the candidate letter and the application. I just don’t want to miss any updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the 85th RTT website acting up for other people? I have tried the website and it's hyperlinks from different computers. I get the same result:..."error" "page not found"

I can only read the candidate letter and the application. I just don't want to miss any updates.

Checked last night and today. Says error. I called Framingham and they said they were negotiating the tattoo policy. So that could be the hold up. Also from my understanding it will be 4-8 weeks for the PT test which should be plenty of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone explain to me how this process works. Is it like regular town PD where they email you the notice? Or send an app if you score higher then the posted minimum score of 89.15. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is the 85th RTT website acting up for other people? I have tried the website and it's hyperlinks from different computers. I get the same result:..."error" "page not found"

I can only read the candidate letter and the application. I just don't want to miss any updates.

Yeah there's a few things they're still working on it looks like. I'm sure they'll have every page updated by next week.

From what I've heard the pre-academy PFT is kind of just a portion of the actual academy PFT. It's no excuse to take it easy though. I still plan on running as much as physically possible. I'd recommend the same to others too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Can anyone explain to me how this process works. Is it like regular town PD where they email you the notice? Or send an app if you score higher then the posted minimum score of 89.15. Thanks
From my understanding (and what I've gotten on my letter) it looks like you just need to retain your candidate number. Then regularly check the mass.gov msp website and wait for announcement regarding the PFT. Once you see that you'll also need to prepare your actual application to bring too which is like 26 pages long, so it's a beast

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do they decide who gets hired and who doesn’t? If two people both pass all stages of the hiring process, but one scored higher than the other, does it come down to score in the end?

·
Registered
45 Posts
How do they decide who gets hired and who doesn't? If two people both pass all stages of the hiring process, but one scored higher than the other, does it come down to score in the end?
By hired I'm assuming you mean into the academy? I don't know that's a good question. I doubt it has anything to do with the initial test score, but that's my gut feeling.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At this point I wonder how far down the list they've gone through. How many academies have come off that 2017 exam? I know the 84th is obviously off that, but was the 83rd off that exam as well?

If that's the case then their probably dealing with a lot of the folks in the lower 90s mostly. I know I was a 93 and never expected a card, but here we are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
At this point I wonder how far down the list they've gone through. How many academies have come off that 2017 exam? I know the 84th is obviously off that, but was the 83rd off that exam as well?

If that's the case then their probably dealing with a lot of the folks in the lower 90s mostly. I know I was a 93 and never expected a card, but here we are.[/The 83rd wasn't off of this list. 84th and the 85th will be. Also heard rumors that they want to try and run an 86th off of this one as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Suddenly I'm not so worried about if the budget gets defeated by the State then. That's something to keep an eye on, but if they're going to try and squeeze 3 classes out of the 2017 exam that'd be music to my ears.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Suddenly I'm not so worried about if the budget gets defeated by the State then. That's something to keep an eye on, but if they're going to try and squeeze 3 classes out of the 2017 exam that'd be music to my ears.
That's the rumor, they are so short staffed. Also, the fact they are starting the process for the 85th while the 84th is still in progress looks like they want to get that third class off before the test expires in two years.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts