MPTC Waiver? | Page 2 | MassCops

MPTC Waiver?

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Heisenberger5, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

"ED Zivkovich reported that funding for the training would be processed through the MPTC’s retained revenue account"

Double "Wow". My understanding of the retained revenue account is that this money is from the tuition officers pay out of their pocket to get trained. ($2500 last time I checked). So this money is being used to train the National Guard?

2. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

We have 5 guys from my unit scheduled to start this full-time academy in january.

3. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

On top of that, when they get activated, who here wants to bet that they still won't allow them to carry any weapons? People with their heads buried in the sand complain about the "militarization" of police already...how does the policing of militarization thing work? :confused:

pahapoika likes this.
  4. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Im not prior military so correct me if im wrong but i thought military regardless of training couldnt enforce local laws? Also if these guys dont work full time after within the three years required isnt their training null and void? Or does this have zero to do with military and is just like a professional development for these guys to have the full time academy like a sort of "self sponsor"

5. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

This is baffling.

Why would the guard put people through an MPTC academy? What purpose does that serve other than them being able to obtain a police job post guard separation? Or is that the exact reason why?

I don't get it.

Edit: I just posted nearly the same question as Sam did above. Oops. Yah, professional development stuff. That. Is that what this is?

Joel98 and Edmizer1 like this.
  6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

It's bizarre liberal Massachusetts would let this go down. Isn't this some clear violation of turning the army into the police ?

Posse Comitatus Act anyone ?

Goose and Joel98 like this.
  7. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I can almost guarentee that many of the people attending this academy have a connection which is putting them there. There is exactly -zero- reason for the MPTC to be funding a Nataional Guard recruit academy. Especially when they cannot fund the training they are mandated to provide. I could almost swallow this if the money wasn't being taken away from municipal police training to make this happen. Shame on the MPTC for letting this happen. At best the MPTC should authorize the academy and wish the National Guard good luck in finding the funding.

8. pahapoika

Did a quick search on officer.com and some guys used the G.I. Bill to pay for their academy, but this sounds like something completely different

9. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The scope of the MPTC is listed below. Doesn't say anything about the National Guard.

The committee shall set policies and standards for the training of municipal police officers, candidates for appointment as municipal police officers, environmental law enforcement officers and the University of Massachusetts police officers in accordance with applicable laws and regulations

10. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

This is scary...on multiple levels

mpd61 and Joel98 like this.
  11. pahapoika

I'm not here to rain on anybodies parade, but these guys should wait till they leave the Guard, get the G.I. bill and pay their own way just like everybody else or take the test and have the town pay for it.

Some bad precedent going on here.

Joel98, Goose and Pvt. Cowboy like this.
  12. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

This. Not like there's not enough self sponsors out there already.

Joel98 likes this.
  13. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

Out of the 5 going from my unit Id say only 1 has a hook. I think they offered us 5 more slots and there wasn't enough interest to fill them.

14. pahapoika

Apparently the Guard doesn't fall under Posse Comitatus Act.

Where does this funding for this academy come from ?

The Feds ?

Joel98 likes this.
  15. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

I guess I can't blame the individuals for taking advantage of what is being offered to them but is very unfair to the municpal officers who will not receive training the agency was set up to provide because this class was funded with money meant to train police officers.

I am not naive as to what happens in the real world. I can think of three situations right off the top of my head where I know of people who were let in to recruit academies with extremely sketchy sporsorships but they at least looked like they fit into policy.

Joel98 likes this.
  16. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

The money that is funding this class is coming from the MPTC "retained revenue account". This is the account that the tuition that prior municipal police officers paid out of their pocket to get trained.

17. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

You seem to have the inside scoop.

What is the reason for the program? Is it to help them get a civilian police job down the road?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  18. samadam78

I dont understand how MP school can get a bridge class but the SSPO academy cant it makes no sense at all... Hell the current sspo class is running side by side with the spma! If i was an sspo grad i would be on the phone with the mptc demanding answers on this

19. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

"Apparently the Guard doesn't fall under Posse Comitatus Act."
    "This is scary...on multiple levels"

1. It really makes NO sense at all, and good luck demanding answers from the MPTC,
    2. Posse Comitatus Act Would apply if they were FEDERALIZED, and if they were being asked by any local/county/state police official to enforce state laws. Only the requisitioning civilian agent would be liable for prosecution, and BTW there has NEVER been a single case of prosecution under the act since it's inception over 150 years ago. Interestingly enough the ARMY has been wrongfully citing the act for decades to curtail the effective utilization of their civilian police. No problem ignoring it for CID agents though....
    3. More than scary! it's sickening!
    4. Ultimate and timely proof that MPTC is off the rails when it comes to the topic of equivalency.

Joel98, Goose and pahapoika like this.
  20. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

RP has done 3 academies and can't incorporate them into an MPOC. That's the first problem with this state...

My second problem is to many academies I think (different types I mean). As a Court Officer I "have full police powers and may act as a Police Officer on or about the areas of the court" (221/70A) but have never been taught crim/con law or arrest procedures from the Court. Like LA said that do it out there, if you have a arrest powers there should be ONE base line course for EVERYONE with CONSTANT rotating classes at MULTIPLE locations. If it can be done else where idk why it can't be done here....o wait

21. samadam78

Because it makes sense and thats not the way we do things here

Goose likes this.
  22. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

The cost is $2500 per soldier/airman. It is going to be 16 weeks at the Worcester Police Academy.

23. USAF3424

USAF3424 MassCops Member

No inside scoop here just passing along the info that has been posted each month at drill.

pahapoika likes this.
  24. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I heard MPTC Director Zivkovic is from Wyoming, and was the head of the Wyoming POST system, and wants to bring MA to a POST system....with that said I have no idea what he is doing with this national guard class.

SSPO grads should be pissed about this, if I were an SSPO grad I'd be making a call to my state rep.

Goose, Pvt. Cowboy and samadam78 like this.
  25. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

MA is definately moving to a POST system. I know the person at the MPTC who is in charge of planning the switchover. We are probably 3-5 years away from it being instituted. Everyone will be grandfathered within their crrent POST certificate area. I haven't read the proposals recently but their will be multiple POST licenses. Municipal, Campus, and Harbormaster were a few I remember seeing.

bok likes this.