MPTC Waiver? | MassCops

MPTC Waiver?

Discussion in 'MPTC' started by Heisenberger5, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Heisenberger5

Heisenberger5 MassCops Member

Anyone know if the combination of the SSPO, R/I, and a sheriff's basic recruit academy would qualify for a waiver from the MPTC?

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

98.375% certain the answer is NO!
    To qualify for such an exemption, the employing department shall provide to the Committee documentation of the officer’s successful completion of training that is substantially equivalent to or greater than that of a Massachusetts police officer at a comparable level of experience plus two years of municipal policing experience as described in 550 CMR §3.03 (1) (a).
    :(

Or call MPTC-Mary Lou Powers direct @ 781-437-0302 and ask her....I'm sure she gets this question once in a while

Joel98 likes this.
  3. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

Nope. You can get a temp waiver with the R/I to work full time close up to a year or until the next available FT Municipal Academy is available.
    I don't know why the SSPO with maybe some time on couldn't apply but they wont take it. You cant even use it to work as a pt/special for a town. I know a few FT campus PO's with the SSPO that still had to waist another 5 to 6 months at R/I academy to work PT for a town. Even though SSPO academy cover everything in the R/I and a hell of allot more.

4. Heisenberger5

Heisenberger5 MassCops Member

Thanks. Just trying to get an idea of how many academies I have left to go through

pahapoika likes this.
  5. Pvt. Cowboy

Pvt. Cowboy Lemme take a selfie Staff Member

These foolish non-compatible rules...

Do it the NH way- every full timer attends one academy. No self sponsoring either. I shoulda tried here years ago!!

carodo, samadam78, Joel98 and 2 others like this.
  6. TacEntry

TacEntry MassCops Member

Nooooooo way!

Not in Mass! Hack-o-Rama capitale! Why have one group of professionals train everybody the same way and everyone is on the same page?

You can have a dozen different groups doing it a dozen different ways and a bloated "counsel" to oversee said dozen groups.

Make it in Massachusetts!:D

7. Pvt. Cowboy

That would make waaaay too much sense... You stop that!

pahapoika likes this.
  8. tallwill88

tallwill88 MassCops Member

Are you sure that this is true? I graduated from an 800-hour municipal academy out of state but I didn't do two years of municipal. I thought if I did two years as an SSPO, I would be able to become a municipal police officer after two years based off my academy experience. Are you sure u have to do two years as a municipal officer? It doesn't say that in the law...

"(a) Exemption from the Police Academy Training Requirement. Upon petition to the Committee by an officer's employing department, a person appointed to serve as a full-time police officer in Massachusetts may be granted an exemption from the police academy training requirement in certain limited circumstances. Said exemption must be requested and granted prior to the fulltime officer exercising police powers. To qualify for such an exemption, the employing department shall provide to the Committee documentation of the officer's successful completion of training that is substantially equivalent to or greater than that of a Massachusetts police officer at a comparable level of experience, including a record of the entry-level police academy the officer attended and the curriculum at the time of attendance; all in-service, specialized and other training courses completed by the officer; and documentation that the officer has obtained a minimum of two years of full-time law enforcement experience since completion of the entry-level police academy. "

9. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

SSPO academy is now acceptable equivalent training for municipal R/I positions. The MPTC changed their policy about a year ago.

mpd61 and Joel98 like this.
  10. EJS12213

EJS12213 MassCops Member

Yes, but will towns accept it? A couple years ago (2012) I was talking to a FT campus SSPO that was in the R/I academy. He said his SSPO academy was one of the first to make sure it covered every thing required in the R/I but towns would not accept it. Maybe it has changed but not at that time. If it has then good.

11. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

I don't where you're located, but in western MA I know guys who work part time for towns, with the SSPO academy.

12. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

I do know that the M.P.T.C had talked about offering out a "Bridge Class" several years ago and that the College Chiefs put up a stink about it fearing that they would loose all their officers. Personally I think its moronic that after doing both the RI and SSPO that you have to go through an entire academy and be treated like a new boot all over again. Also I'm kinda surprised that no has tried to push the issue to get it accepted.

13. Pvt. Cowboy

Just takes a politicians ear. A "uniformity in police training" bill.

I think you're right on the money.

14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

They won't be able to hear you above SPAM/MPA/MPTC whining!!!!

15. samadam78

samadam78 MassCops Member

Ive said it before and ill say it again... This state is in desperate need of a POST system.... All these different academies is a waste of resources

USM C-2 and Joel98 like this.
  16. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Out here in California, the only way an officer can work the street and be able to take any law enforcement type action is if they go to a full academy. Even our reserve officers have to attend a full academy if they want to be able to work the street.

It shouldn't make a difference if officers are working part time or full time, if they are doing any type of police work they are opening themselves up to the possibility of injury or death. They are also opening up their departments to liability. Because of these reasons, every officer should have as much training as possible before they hit the streets and go into harm's way.

PBC FL Cop, USM C-2, zm88 and 3 others like this.
  17. felony

felony MassCops Member

This is the MPTC catch all. They basically mean you must have 2 years full time municipal policing experience at your prior department, before being hired by a MA department. Only the Chief of the department you're hired for in MA can apply for your exemption.

So in other words, if you work in VT, RI, whatever, your academy is accepted by the MPTC, however you must have 2 years full time municipal experience. I have spoken to the MPTC about it and campus policing doesn't count for anything in their eyes.

Joel98 likes this.
  18. Sgt Jack

Sgt Jack Subscribing Member

It's all about the man keeping all us campus cops down!!! :rolleyes:

felony, Kilvinsky and pahapoika like this.
  19. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

There will never be one training cert in Mass. We will be a POST state in a few years but it is already planned that there will be different POST certs. Some states do have one cert but it is usually just the minimum to have police powers. I have friends that work in Texas which has one cert for police officers. All law enforcement in TX must have a "TCLOSE" license. The TCLOSE license is the absolute dead minimum training a person must have to work. It only takes one semester at a community college to get a license. Most agencies won't accept it as basic training. One person told me that the 6 month city police academy he went through in TX had about 50% recruits that already had TCLOSE certs.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  20. samadam78

Was reading on the MPTC website today that there is discussion of a bridge class for national guard military police to full time academy status.... I dont understand how that is in discussion but the sspo academy which is 16 weeks at the SPA doesnt have a bridge class this state just keeps getting more fucked up

21. Joel98

Joel98 MassCops Member

Agreed, that's pretty fucked up.

22. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Unless this is something very new, the only National Guard training the MPTC is involved in is getting the National Guard trained to R/I status which is happening now. To my knowledge there is no serious discussion about putting the guard through a full time academy. The are about 6,000 in the MA National Guard. The MPTC is currently unable to meet the demand for regular full time police recruit training so adding another 6,000 recruits is probably off the table.

Joel98 likes this.
  23. samadam78

Re
    I read it in the MPTC meeting minutes they are doing it in addition to the R/I bridge they are shooting to do it after first of the year at the worcester police academy with approx. 40 in first the class

24. samadam78

From july:
    "Miscellaneous News
    Worcester Police Academy has offered its training facility for a bridge class

for the National Guard to use to train military police officers to the level of fulltime municipal police officers. The use of Worcester Academy is still in the preliminary stages and more details need to be finalized. Also, the graduation date for the National Guard Reserve Intermittent class is August 2, 2014.

Executive Director Zivkovich announced that there were some additional staffing changes to the Worcester and Lowell Academies. Former Sergeant Mark Rolland was promoted to lieutenant and will remain as the Springfield Police Academy director. Sgt. Tom Fleming is retiring from Lowell PD and currently Captain Tim Crowley is filling in at the Lowell Academy as the director, pending appointment of a fulltime replacement."

[​IMG]
    From Sept:
    "Chief Hicks called on the National Guard to make their report on the Police/Military Partnership. Lt. Col. Brett Conaway gave a short introduction and then introduced Major (soon to be Lt. Col.) Rick Cipro who presented a document showing the breakdown of the topics and hours for the bridge class to be hosted by the Worcester Police Department sometime in January. Major Cipro explained that Captain Jack Ryder of the Worcester PD is scheduled to be the Academy Director and that he (Sgt. Rick Cipro of the Worcester PD) would be the Deputy Director. He asked that the Committee review the proposal and consider it for approval.

Chief Hicks put the question to the floor and called for discussion. ED Zivkovich reported that funding for the training would be processed through the MPTC’s retained revenue account. The $1.8 mil cap may be an issue in the future but would not have an impact currently. He also reported that the MPTC could handle the administrative side of the endeavor. A member of the Committee asked about the number of students who would attend the class. Major Cipro said that they are intending to have 40 students. "

Edmizer1 likes this.
  25. Edmizer1

Edmizer1 MassCops Member

Wow, I just read it. So let me get this straight. The MPTC recruit training for full time police officers has a waiting list and is crying for funding which just got cut again last week. According to the MPTC minutes, they will be using their budget to fund a full-time academy for a 40 person National Guard police recruit academy? They are going to use funding for full time police training to fund a recruit academy for an organization that almost never gets activated for a law enforcement function and when it does, its role is obscure at best? I've seem politically connected people get to attend MPTC academies for some pretty thin reasons but this beats them all.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    pahapoika, Joel98 and Goose like this.