Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newsflash:

The MPTC has recently stopped accepting Sheriffs and Campus Police at in-service and specialty training. Probably same for MPOC and R/I academies too. This thread may become less moot
:?

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
Re: sheriffs department with ch 90- radar teams ??

Just came from academy this week for instructor school and was advised that Sheriffs may no longer attend full time MPOC academy and also private colleges and universities cannot attend anymore. I was advised that SSPO is the only choice for private colleges from now on. Now the state colleges and universities it up in the air, I heard that they can and cannot attend. Also self sponsors are up in the air too.

·
Subscribing Member
1,281 Posts

I doubt BU or BC is going to have to adhere to that rule.

·
1,334 Posts

That makes no sense for the MPTC not to take any self-sponsors, campus, or sheriff's officers in their academies. Most of the academies they schedule end up on float status for months because they cannot fill them. That or they will have to bend from the 40 recruit minimum. :shock: Another brilliant idea from the training council???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can you be more specific... When do these changes go into effect? Are you sure that this will mean that campus PD's will no longer be able to sponsor candidates to the RIT academy?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Things over at the MPTC Headquarters is chaos from what I've been hearing. My guess is that the MSP will take over the police training in this state within the next 2 years, and the MPTC will no longer be. I hope I can get into a full time academy before the summer as a self sponsor though. [-o<

·
Subscribing Member
1,322 Posts
No offense mpd and j809 but so far its all unsupported unofficial rumor. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless you hear it from someone over at the MPTC.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
I also don't see Harvard, BC, BU going to the SSPO. The SSPO does not have Firearms qual. They only give a firearm safety course. My SSPO had no firearms.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Irishpride @ 07 Nov 2004 22:25 said:
No offense mpd and j809 but so far its all unsupported unofficial rumor. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it unless you hear it from someone over at the MPTC.
Well, just to add to "unsupported, unofficial rumor...my friend who is attending the Plymouth academy told me that admin staff were discussing that very thing the other day and how that will be the way of the future, no campus P.O.'s allowed to attend the MPTC.

·
Registered
372 Posts
EchoUnit @ Sun 07 Nov said:
Things over at the MPTC Headquarters is chaos from what I've been hearing. My guess is that the MSP will take over the police training in this state within the next 2 years, and the MPTC will no longer be. I hope I can get into a full time academy before the summer as a self sponsor though. [-o<
Wouldn't that be going back to how things once were? I personally wish that did happen, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Does this mean no more R/I self-sponsors too, or just no more full-time academy self sponsors?

Not losing sleep... yet.

·
Subscribing Member
530 Posts
RPD the SSPO has no firearms qual. I know the first 15 SSPO had no firearms. Maybe that may all change with the MPTC acceptance changes

·
Registered
968 Posts
Irishpride @ 07 Nov 2004 22:25 said:
Well, just to add to "unsupported, unofficial rumor...my friend who is attending the Plymouth academy told me that admin staff were discussing that very thing the other day and how that will be the way of the future, no campus P.O.'s allowed to attend the MPTC.
I am in there now and nobody said such stuff!

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
My guess is that the MSP will take over the police training in this state within the next 2 years, and the MPTC will no longer be
Wishful thinking, but MSP no longer teach MPOC academies except for specialized training, EVOC and other classes. The whole purpose of the MPTC is that CHIEFS are now in charge and dictate the curriculum. MPTC does not have to train any PRIVATE entities and they sure don't want to train Sheriffs anymore. The MCJTC used to tell the Chiefs the way things went and now the role has reversed. This was passed through new legilslation. SSPO is 18 weeks with firearms so that would not be an issue. What I did hear is that eventually there will be one MPOC academy in the whole state for recruits, most likely Weymouth because there are dorms there and the MSP academy. UMASS and State Colleges Police are a whole different ball game and have to be trained as they are POLICE departments and not SHERIFF and are state entities.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It seems as if there might be truth to this issue. I recently sent my application into the reserve academy. I asked if it mattered if I was sponsored by a campus POLICE department, and i was informed that they might not be able to accept my application because of this.

they are going to get back to me and i will let you guys know when i find out

1 - 20 of 37 Posts